When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

getting called out/complimented........any stories?

cc

hello RWG. i have been surfing the site and others for a long time and countless hours reading archived threads....... some of my favorites to read are stories of members here and their experiences with AD's, reps, gen owners/collectors, and asshats. i wanted to share my experience and if anybody wants to share theirs.

story 1

I purchased a navitimer from yellowman a couple months back. Mods include gen dial, crown, swiss eta 7750, "butter" bracelet mod, bezel fix, all serviced by The Zigmeister. It came with a rep leather strap which i switched when i received it. wore it to work for a couple weeks and decide to switch to the bracelet. I dont have any cool watch tools so i bent the end of my spring bar trying to remove the strap.......

to the point...... i brought the watch to a local jewelry shop where they are an authorized Rolex and Omeega dealer. I have never handed any of my reps to any authorized watchmakers before so it was nerve racking handing it to him. He asked what need to be done and i told him i bent the spring bar so i needed to purchase another. He insisted that installation was free and he could do a quick polish for me. Then the dreaded question....................

watchmaker - "this is genuine right?..........."

me - "of course".....(umm the dial, crown, movement is....)

a couple minutes later he comes back with the new spring bar fixed.

watchmaker - "well, there you go. you have a very nice investment here. i did polish it up for you a bit. yeah i get a lot of those fake Breitlings.... you know...those BIG ones.... customers come in and ask for polishing and the nickel rubs off!!. plus you can obviously tell. the movement feels cheap and dial is just horrible!

me - "he he.....yeah, there are a lot of fakes out there........so how much i owe ya?

story 2

The owner of my company makes 200k monthly. I am just above the average financial consultant. he wears a gen PAM 088 and gen diamond encrusted bezel BCE. Everyday i walk over to the processing dept. while passing his office and he shouts "STAN GET IN HERE!!". i quietly walk in and sat down...... as my heart beat rises, he asks me if i was happy. i replied "yes, why?". he says "i've noticed you have had on really nice watches". I replied "yes, i collect watches". he says "i know.....[censored] stan...i'm paying you too much. i wanna see you collection some time" :drunk:

so yes there are threads justifying why we wear fakes and blah blah blah. i wear them because i dont want to afford them. i was searching on paneristi looking for a base PAM. clicks after clicks i found RWI/RWG....... you guys suck....then again, you guys saved me a lot of money and educating me on watches.

"hello. my name is Stanley and i am addicted to PAM's. I am on my 8th one and i cant stop"

whats your story?

"hello. my name is Stanley and i am addicted to PAM's. I am on my 8th one and i cant stop"

Hello, Stanley. I am on my PAM...let's see...fantasy mini-Fiddy, 111h, 118, 199, 152/4, 076, 127, 217, 190, 210, 183 -- in one and a half-months.

Beat that, Stanley. And call me. It seems we could hang...

whats your story?

I like watches. The End.

Hello, Stanley. I am on my PAM...let's see...fantasy mini-Fiddy, 111h, 118, 199, 152/4, 076, 127, 217, 190, 210, 183 -- in one and a half-months.

The first step is admitting you have a problem ...

(It's ok, step 5 or 6 is getting another watch, so you're safe here.)

With your boss, perhaps you should have fessed up and complained that with your measly paycheck you can barely afford to feed the little ones at home, let alone gens.

NEVER, EVER, EVER let them think that they pay you too much. :rolleyes:

lol! no doubt we all are underpaid <_<

I'm gonna wear my casio watch with the built in TV remote to grab his attention.........."Mr. Boss, this is my prized piece. Please give me a raise so i'll stop messing with your TV in your office. i think its broken............."

yes i still have it for you old school folks.

Beat that, Stanley. And call me. It seems we could hang...

I like watches. The End.

yes. my wife agrees that i am following your path........i had to buy a watch box just to fill my pams. now i have to buy another for my "others".

are you in O.C.? yes we need to hang. the wife has heard enough and is fed up with mystery packages coming from china and europe....

cheers,

stan

lol! no doubt we all are underpaid <_<

I'm gonna wear my casio watch with the built in TV remote to grab his attention.........."Mr. Boss, this is my prized piece. Please give me a raise so i'll stop messing with your TV in your office. i think its broken............."

yes i still have it for you old school folks.

I remember in my younger days I made my religious studies teacher call an entire 2 hour lesson off because there must have been a powersurge problem in the plugs at school. Poor guy. Every minute the TV's would go off. He went through three sets.

Its all about the oldschool remote watches. god bless them.

just had one.. today was my first day wearing my new HBB

so I'm wearing a long sleeve dress shirt, I work in the hospital and this P.A. was requesting some medical charts and she asked for my extension.. in the process of writing it down my sleeves shift and stuff and the HBB showed so after I gave her my extension and whatnot before she left she smiles at me and goes

"I love your watch."

and she meant it too.. I could tell from the way she said it ^^

this made my day, getting a compliment from a hot girl.. yea, I'm all smiles right about now :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I always get complements wearing my Patek Philippe Sky Moon Tourbillon - not because it is a US$1,250,000 watch or because its a PP, but because the design and functionality is just so unique and appealing. It's classic lines and complications are the perfect antithesis to modern, battery timekeeping. I'm yet to run into someone who actually knows the brand, but many coworkers and, even complete strangers, always glance a second look. It is a very eye-catching piece.

I have never been called out, though...

whats your story?

I had a laugh this past weekend. I had to bring my iMac to the Mac Doctor for repair. It's in a mall and in that mall is a Neiman-Marcus department store. So, after dropping off the iMac I walk into Neiman-Marcus for a look see. I walked over to the watch counter, saw some nice watches, nothing great, massive prices, when a guy walks up to me and says he's the "buyer" for watches and complimented me on my Patek (jumbo) Nautilus. He asked if he could see it and I said, "Sure." I took it off, he examined it and told me what a wonderful watch it was. I thanked him and walked out of the store chuckling to myself. Funny stuff. Tim

Re: Story 1, was it possible that the person was asking if it was a rep because they'd experienced the nickel rubbing off reps before, and didn't want to risk doing the same thing to yours (ie potentially damage the watch beyond repair) incase it was a rep?

I can't say I've ever really been complimented on my watches in public, but in private, my mother in law has often said how nice they are (she knows they're reps, but likes the look) In public, I have found in a few places that wearing a nice watch (combined with nice clothes) has gotten me favorable treatment, but how much of that was down to a watch, I wouldn't like to say :)

something happened today that has not happened to me before... I was wearing a long dress shirt today and was wearing my HBB for the first time.. maybe I'm conscious of the bling it has so I, who usually roll up my sleeve, did not all day..

basically.. 3 people saw my watch.. and every single one has complimented on it.. one asked me what watch it was at which point I even pronounced it properly for her.. another said it looked sharp.. and of course my favorite, the lovely PA who threw out the best compliment I've ever gotten on a watch.. mostly because of how sincere it was

she basically stopped as she was leaving, turned, smiled and said, "I love your watch"

it completely made my day and is the best compliment i've ever received besides "You smell good" every now and then or "what's your cologne?"

Okay I'll go again. From a year ago...

--------------------------------------------------------

There's something to be said for wearing a rep you don't mind losing. It can really offer an opportunity for surprise.

I was on a boat once, touring Resurrection Bay down by Seward Alaska..................................

I've heard of champagne diving off of boats, but never Rolex diving :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I remember reading one story a while ago on here, of someone who bought a replica of his boss' watch, something like a Rolex Yachtmaster. They had a party on a boat offshore. The person from the forum asked to have a look at his boss' watch. He then swapped them without him seeing, and threw the rep into the water, at which point I think the boss was preparing a Job Vacancy advert. He gave Rolex back and all was well in the end.

I remember reading one story a while ago on here, of someone who bought a replica of his boss' watch, something like a Rolex Yachtmaster. They had a party on a boat offshore. The person from the forum asked to have a look at his boss' watch. He then swapped them without him seeing, and threw the rep into the water, at which point I think the boss was preparing a Job Vacancy advert. He gave Rolex back and all was well in the end.

LOL! GUTSY. I would've given him a promotion!

I always get complements wearing my Patek Philippe Sky Moon Tourbillon - not because it is a US$1,250,000 watch or because its a PP, but because the design and functionality is just so unique and appealing.

OMG, Corgi...I have one too! In fact, it was the very very first rep watch I ever bought, before even discovering this forum, IIRC. From Paul, need I say more.

Well, I have the rose gold version, on a red croc-a-like rep strap and you should have seen heads roll downwards the first day I wore it.

There is a famous gen collector in Miami who owns over 100 Pateks, and who famously had the story of how he acquired this watch, told in a watch mag.

I have a secret reverie where he and I are standing side-by-side, perhaps in the Biltmore Hotel restaurant in Coral Gables where I've been told he hangs out, wearing our mutual Patek Sky Moon Tourbillons...wouldn't that be a hoot. Not.

• 6 months later...

went to a bar this weekend and while walking past the doorman/bouncer, i notice a huge crown guard sticking out of his jacket sleeve. I then realize that is the most hideous Panerai i've ever seen!! i remember seeing the same one in the "horror museum of worst fakes" thread. It was a white dialed THING with black numbers with a Paper thin CG. It was disgusting.......

It looked like this:

yuck.jpg

I give him my left wrist for a stamp and he notices my Pam 243 and says "Nice PAN-ER-AY!! i have one too!!.....but yours is nicer......"

i smile and walk away keeping my mouth shut because my wife didnt want me mouthing off......

something happened today that has not happened to me before... I was wearing a long dress shirt today and was wearing my HBB for the first time.. maybe I'm conscious of the bling it has so I, who usually roll up my sleeve, did not all day..

basically.. 3 people saw my watch.. and every single one has complimented on it.. one asked me what watch it was at which point I even pronounced it properly for her.. another said it looked sharp.. and of course my favorite, the lovely PA who threw out the best compliment I've ever gotten on a watch.. mostly because of how sincere it was

she basically stopped as she was leaving, turned, smiled and said, "I love your watch"

it completely made my day and is the best compliment i've ever received besides "You smell good" every now and then or "what's your cologne?"

How did she pronounce it??

People always comment on my 127 and I tell them I got it out of a bubble gum machine.

I was in baby gap buying my little guy some selvedge denim and the guy behind me says "nice panerai, is that a radomire (his pronunciation)" I said "it's a 127" and he said "I have a 111" and I said "I have one of those too". I let him inspect it on the wrist of course and I could tell that he was a little floored that a young black man had a more expensive watch than him. I told him to check out paneristi and bid him a good day.

I do have few stories with my pams already..

in general = Ive noticed even people who have NO idea about watches, walue and rep or gen keep stopping me for PAMs!!! did not happend with an omega, rolex, bell and ross... it was only PANERAIs..

I do look at what watch people have - happens automaticaly @ me. not everyone does! so I think there is something on PAMs that makes these pieces VERY unique.