When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Why are all you guys THAT into Panerai???

fitmic

First of all I admit: I am a newbie!!!

When I first started collecting reps it was only Omegas and Rolex Yachtmaster.

Never ever bothered looking at other brands.

To be honest, I've never had seen a Panerai before joining this group, though I've heard the name.

To me it's like a jungle of Panerai watches, and the all "look the same" to me.

What is it that makes Panerai that special TO YOU?

PAM=Is it short for Panerai???

Have a nice day!

Pams takes some getting used to...

I felt the same two years ago.. then about a year ago they started to grow on me...

After I received my first.. a 196..and it was the most masculine, handsome piece that

I had ever owned to that point.

Then it was clear why all the others were raving about these wonderful watches..

They have strong Presence..are one of the most highly accurate reps you can obtain..

and just feel great on the wrist ! :D

The best piece of advice I can give you is "Do not try one on."

There's no turning back once you do. And they make all your other watches seem small. It's a bit like when you wear your first mechanical watch for a while then when you put on your old quartz it just doesn't feel right.

Climb on.

I've owned 2 PAMS in my time here: A black PVD 005 logo and, I think a white Luminor.

To this day, I don't see what everyone thinks is so great. Don't get me wrong; I don't hate them, but I just don't see the big deal.

However, the day I got the white dial, a friend of mine saw it and his eyes opened up wide as if he'd seen a beautiful naked girl. He then proceeded to offer me $3000 for it. However, due to the watch being a gift from a very kind individual from this and other boards, I would not part with it. Ever, in fact.

So, fitmic, you're not alone.

(edit: I misssssspellled someting) duh.

Edited by SubFrog

To be honest, I've never had seen a Panerai before joining this group, though I've heard the name.

Have a nice day!

Get one and you'll notice it... think nearly everyone had similar feelings as you... and most of them have a couple of PAM's now... :whistling:

Have a nice day!

Yes, PAM=Panerai

And that's the beauty of a forum like this. You'll discover more watches than you have ever dreamed about. Most people who find the replica forums are looking for Rolexes and will usually buy a Rolex rep as their first watch. But then they start to look at pictures of other watches and something might "tickle their fancy". And that's when the fun begins....

I was the same as you to begin with. Panerais looked ugly.

Then I got one for myself and now getting too many.

Paneritis takes hold and the bank balance is over!

PAM stands for PAnerai Model (the first two letters of the first word, and the first letter of the second).

The overall Panerai look is relatively unique in the watch world. In general it may take a bit more knowledge to know the difference between an Omega and a Rollie (although the Rolex name for most people has a bling reputation). But when you see a Pam you know you are looking at a different breed of cat altogether. It is a very distinctive, relatively clean, bold, down to earth look.

Unlike some of our RWG friends I tend to glaze over at all the different Panerai models. For the most part, I think they tend to look the same. I have one, a 192, but haven't been able to bring myself to buy a second. But the 192 is a terrific watch, and it helped me appreciate the allure of the brand compared to other brands.

Have a nice day!

Yup..I was same as you....owned a gen rolex TT sub for a long time...and then about 4 years ago, I saw a panerai in one of the shops windows and said "WTF is that"...thought it was some gimmic...a slick piece of marketing if you will...anyway...to make a long story short...I finally got a real one a couple of years ago and lately added another one (wifey wears it)...

Something about them just grabs you and wears on you you--literally! Now I know I have a watch on my wrist and it just feels right...btw, i could have save a grip of cash if I had only found this board sooner as I have now exploded and picked up some sweet reps...and I ain't turnin' back.

Funny, coworker of mine, been yappin' about gettin a rollie for weeks...then he sees my 111...goes nuts...now he goes and gets a gen PAM90..beautiful....and today, he shows me a very sweet PAM70 (40mm though) but still tight...

I guess, the saying goes...and I'm plagiarizing here...."Panerai, they're like children, you'll never know until you have (own) them..."

Let the addiiction begin...

anyone know a good 12-step program for Panerai addicts...

:g::g::g::g::g:

Unique design would be one of my main reasons. Plus they are quite large, which I like in a watch. I tried on a DD Rollie a couple of months ago and thought it looked like a ladies watch on my wrist :blink: . Pams are nice, big, bold, and with the perfect strap can turn alot of heads! :bounce:

And yes like the other members are saying. If you buy one, expect to see many more in your collection very soon. I've got the creeping PAM obsession. Its like for every 3 reps I buy, 1 of them is a PAM! :brow:

Also, this will give you another reason to try one, for the most part the PAM reps seem to be fairly accurate. My 111h from EL seems almost perfect (in my eyes) as it only needed Superlume and a nice Strap (which I've already bought!) Can't say that about many reps out there, especially if you like big watches. I still to this day would love to have a nice Big Pilot rep, but none exists that are accurate enough or quality enough to spend my money on.

If you have a decent size wrist, buy a PAM, you'll love it!

Jon :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Have a nice day!

Don't ask it!

Don' tell that name!

Don't even think about it!

As for me, my tale is exactly opposite of yours: I stumbled upon RWG while I was surfing the web searching for PAM reps... :D

Don't ask it!

Don' tell that name!

Don't even think about it!

As for me, my tale is exactly opposite of yours: I stumbled upon RWG while I was surfing the web searching for PAM reps... :D

At first I didn't like Panerai's either but then as my signature says, now I own two. Personally I don't get why people like IWC? Are they not ugly? :whistling:

Let the flame war begin! :p

Edited by pwygant

im into panerai cuz they are my love from the first sight... the first panerai actually I saw long time ago begun my watch addiction :)

Pams are the most gorgous watches for a guy like me :)

How simple is that?

Personally I don't get why people like IWC? Are they not ugly? :whistling:

I have never seen a photograph that captures the real beauty of the Iwc Gst,...

it's one of those watches that has to be held, to be fully appreciated.

When I first opened the package that held my first Gst.. I was blown away !

Totally..and Forever.

At first I didn't like Panerai's either but then as my signature says, now I own two. Personally I don't get why people like IWC? Are they not ugly? :whistling:

Let the flame war begin! :p

The IWC GST is very pretty imo. I don't like the new IWC with black bezel though.

44542-37529.jpg

44542-37530.jpg

When I first saw a PAM on these sites, and on someones small 6" wrist. I was like "gawd that thing looks ridiulous" Showed the pic to my wife and she said she would not leave with me the house with that on my wrist. Then, suddenly they grew on me and I own the 196,192,090, and 111h that is my daily wearer. I love them. I am considering about getting a backup 111h just because I have a fear they might go away or something. By far, they are my favorite watches.

I first noticed PAMs in 2004, shortly after joining the boards. They didn't strike me as terribly impressive, and the hype seem overplayed. After a while, I broke down and bought one of EL's Unitas 183s (non swan). It's nice, but I never caught the fever like most seem to do around here. I won't rule out purchasing another, but they're not on my hit-list.

The IWC GST is very pretty imo. I don't like the new IWC with black bezel though.

44556-37526.jpg

44556-37527.jpg

Well... doesn't look too bad but there's still something I don't like. Perhaps the generic logo on the watch that makes it look like a QVC product. :p

Edited by pwygant