When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Why are all you guys THAT into Panerai???

fitmic

there's also the allure of the whole 'i know something you don't know' when you're wearing one. to me wearing a panerai is almost like a man's version of having [censored] - you'd be surprised how many people will just stare at it while having a conversation or even just in passing.

Well... doesn't look too bad but there's still something I don't like. Perhaps the generic logo on the watch that makes it look like a QVC product. :p

Have you even held a gen IWC? I'll tell you that photo's don't do a IWC justice. IWC doesn't have any gimmicks or bling bling.... they're just classy and elegant. And very very well built and high quality watches. I'd take the QVC style logo over a bling bling Rolex crown.

Here are a few shots of the gen IWC's I own. I just picked up the Portuguese... that watch is beautiful!

These are my photos that I took, and I'm no photographer... but I'm sure professional photos make the watch look much nicer.

44576-37519.jpg

44576-37520.jpg

44576-37521.jpg

44576-37522.jpg

44576-37523.jpg

Have you even held a gen IWC? I'll tell you that photo's don't do a IWC justice. IWC doesn't have any gimmicks or bling bling.... they're just classy and elegant. And very very well built and high quality watches. I'd take the QVC style logo over a bling bling Rolex crown.

Here are a few shots of the gen IWC's I own. I just picked up the Portuguese... that watch is beautiful!

These are my photos that I took, and I'm no photographer... but I'm sure professional photos make the watch look much nicer.

44601-37514.jpg

44601-37515.jpg

44601-37516.jpg

44601-37517.jpg

44601-37518.jpg

Nice Pictures sye46... you do a very good job I think. Like I said, probably a preference issue and I bow out. I think I saw a IWC in the new flick Harrison Ford was in. That looked like a pretty cool product but the strap made that model I think.

:thumbsupsmileyanim:

Yup..I was same as you....owned a gen rolex TT sub for a long time...and then about 4 years ago, I saw a panerai in one of the shops windows and said "WTF is that"...thought it was some gimmic...a slick piece of marketing if you will...

Definitely slick marketing... it's worked!

I dunno, I never thought the PAMs looked very unique, they all look kind of the same to me, and they just didn't do anything for me. But I know you can't really tell from a pic, and everyone around here seems to like them sooooo much.... so I went to the local AD and looked at a few gens. Well, now that I've seen the real thing ...

they still all look the same to me, and they didn't really look any different than the pics. So I don't think I'll be getting any. I know I'm in the minority and it's purely a matter of personal taste, of course, but I still just don't get it.

BTW, on my way to the best sportsbar here in Stockholm, I will visit THE watch shop, to have a look at some PAMs "live". It is the most exclusive shop here (you have to pass "an air lock" before entering the store).

I will give you a short story of my experience later on. ;)

Holy cow!

I must admit that I've might missed something.

PAMs are nice!

I tried a $9000 watch yesterday.

May I ad that the storeowner were a bit worried letting me and my brother into the store?

My brother is covered with tattoos and looks more like a skinhead, than a family guy.

I dunno, I never thought the PAMs looked very unique, they all look kind of the same to me, and they just didn't do anything for me. But I know you can't really tell from a pic, and everyone around here seems to like them sooooo much.... so I went to the local AD and looked at a few gens. Well, now that I've seen the real thing ...

they still all look the same to me, and they didn't really look any different than the pics. So I don't think I'll be getting any. I know I'm in the minority and it's purely a matter of personal taste, of course, but I still just don't get it.

You don't need to get it :Jumpy:

We are addicts, you are lucky not to be PAM addicted!

I felt the same way as you about 6 months ago... then river had a great deal on the 212 flyback... once I received it, I couldn't stop looking at it. It's without question the most impressive looking watch I had ever owned. It led me to the 063 GMT and I couldn't be happier.

It's something that's very hard to explain until you hold/feel/see one in person.

I still haven't purchased my first PAM yet, and I want to emphasize yet. I tried on my first PAM at a recent trip to a local dealer and I have liked them since. But I have a very specific taste.

My want list is a Fiddy and the 217 destro. There are some PAMs out there that I dont like at all.

I was looking for a nice big watch when I joined trc and rwg. I had never heard of Panerai before, but when I saw the 111 I knew that was the watch I was looking for. Ordered one and have pretty much wore daily for about a year. I love it!

First of all I admit: I am a newbie!!!

When I first started collecting reps it was only Omegas and Rolex Yachtmaster.

Never ever bothered looking at other brands.

To be honest, I've never had seen a Panerai before joining this group, though I've heard the name.

To me it's like a jungle of Panerai watches, and the all "look the same" to me.

What is it that makes Panerai that special TO YOU?

PAM=Is it short for Panerai???

Have a nice day!

Well I am also a relative newbie... I have been a mamber for about 6 mos, promarily surfing but last week. When I first joined up, I too was kind of surprised at how popular they are, but they grow on you. Recently I ordered my first rep.. a PAM 029 with a 2892-3 movement and it came in today... I can't stop looking at it.. the thing is beautiful! I will grant that it is a different look... but I love the clean styling and the sheer size..

• 2 weeks later...

In the last 6 weeks I bought 3 pam's: 1 111H & a 217 destro for myself and a 111 for my girlfriend.

In Holland the U-boat is THE watch to wear, it's very hot. But the style is nothing compared by the looks of a 111 on a stainless steel bracelet.

Try one & you get hooked for sure.

From all of my watches, the panerai;s are getting te most wristtime.

http://s48.photobucket.com/albums/f246/Ger...oges/?start=all

I dislike new-design PAMs with a passion. Ugly tuna cans that say a lot about overcompensating masculinity, in my opinion. However, the old design is beautiful and lends itself towards accessorising, and any hobbyist loves accessorising.

I have 2 after-market straps and another three on the way, and I only own one PAM. I am in no way a PAM-addict, but I appreciate that the Panerai is the barbie doll of the rep world: You can dress it up and pretend its a princess. :Jumpy:

This pic says it all:

57641-35230.jpg

Pams takes some getting used to...

They have strong Presence..are one of the most highly accurate reps you can obtain..

and just feel great on the wrist ! :D

to be honest I find most watches over about 42 mm to be silly. I can't wear a 44mm Plus sized clown watch to work and expect to be taken seriously. MAybe on the weekends.

And the reason the reps are so accurate is Panerai by and large uses common movments widely available. Kind of like how a timex is easy to replicate.

I can't wear a 44mm Plus sized clown watch to work and expect to be taken seriously.

Are you sure you are taken seriously even by wearing a different watch? :D

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=5221&