When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

New Tag Heuers.. Grand Carrera

chrgod

Just some eyecandy of the newly released "Grand Carrera" series with 43mm case. Nice pictures, in TTK-class! :)

303118-877.jpg

Grand Carrera Chronograph. New Calibre 17RS movement.

MSRP is $4,495.

303118-878.jpg

TAG Heuer Grand Carrera Grande-Date GMT. New Calibre 8RS, 42.5mm case.

MSRP is $3,495.

I would not be surprised if we will see some replicas of these soon. I like the style, even though it is not very TAG Heuer-like.. Without a badge, I would have guessed Glashutte or A.L Sohne. The style of the subdials, with a fixed hand and rotating disc seems odd... What do you guys think?

Is it the Valgranges chrono or the 2894?

Tag are certainly not utilising the Valgranges chrono (yet), and they do love their 2894s ;)

I have seen these before, not sure what to make of them, quite a departure from the racing Carreras of old. Even at the larger size, they don't come across as having any distinct style, more an amalgamation of design cues from other brands; e.g. the Grand Carrera's Speedy-like bezel.

History repeating itself at Heuer.....the lovely Monza dumped, meanwhile the Carrera flogged like a dead horse in as many models as possible <_<

I have seen these before, not sure what to make of them, quite a departure from the racing Carreras of old. Even at the larger size, they don't come across as having any distinct style, more an amalgamation of design cues from other brands; e.g. the Grand Carrera's Speedy-like bezel.

History repeating itself at Heuer.....the lovely Monza dumped, meanwhile the Carrera flogged like a dead horse in as many models as possible <_<

I agree, It seems like Tag Heuer struggle to keep their heritage.. The cushion shaped Monza is a lovely watch. I can't belive they have dumped that, and the fancy Autavia... Well, maybe the Autavia had a too distinct shape to appeal to the modern customers.

I agree, It seems like Tag Heuer struggle to keep their heritage.. The cushion shaped Monza is a lovely watch. I can't belive they have dumped that, and the fancy Autavia... Well, maybe the Autavia had a too distinct shape to appeal to the modern customers.

Indeed, as I said, history repeats itself....they canned the Monza back in the 60s and persisted long after with the Carrera and its many variants (Verona etc.), including the familiarly-named Daytona. Even the gorgeous Autavia or the venerable Monaco didn't survive long first time out, the Autavia even less so during reissue.

I don't get it, Jack W Heuer was supposed to safeguard the heritage line of models, not bastardize it? :blink: I just don't understand them discontinuing the Monza c.36 for instance (for so long the flagship model) whilst they continue to churn out hundreds of me-too quartz and basic auto models.

Oh well, makes these things more collectable/valuable in the future ;)

Is it the Valgranges chrono or the 2894?

EDIT: Thanks doc for the comment. Calibre 17 used to have the 7765, used in older carrera chronographs. That has since been replaced by the 2894-A2. This calibre 17 is also used in the Limited Edition SLR.

I don't know what the "RS" designation is, though. It could be just a naming convention.

Edited by anton

• 2 months later...

And now the replica is out. Only two and a half months after the Grand Carrera was launched by TAG Heuer... Maybe they rushed this model rather than the Aquatimer.. :p

Carrera Grande at Silix

Not bad for the price I think, even though it is far from Super-replica quality. For some reason they omitted "automatic" from the dial...

At 41mm it is not quite what I would call "Grand". Classy watch, though! :)

tag077-1.jpg

Replica

303118-877.jpg

Grand Carrera Chronograph. New Calibre 17RS movement.

• 2 weeks later...
EDIT: Thanks doc for the comment. Calibre 17 used to have the 7765, used in older carrera chronographs. That has since been replaced by the 2894-A2. This calibre 17 is also used in the Limited Edition SLR.

I don't know what the "RS" designation is, though. It could be just a naming convention.

RS is for "Rotating system" :D They simply took Cal 17 (2894) and put subdial cut-outs on shafts instead of hands - and they glued hands in space that is left after cutting out the subdials - and they call this revolutionary new movement :whistling:

regards

303118-878.jpg

Been looking to blow some hard earned on a gen.....this one looks like a good contender.Gorgeous dial. :bounce:

Yea, I hear you. I've never been much of a Tag fan, but the Carrera is one that I've always given a second look... And, boy, that chrono is speaking to me. Will have to see what the rep gods bring us, but I'm not overly confident that this one is ever going to be a "super rep" either.

The first one looks like a good candiate for replication...I'm no expert but wouldn't that layout work for an a7750 considering the date wheel is already sunken from factory and the gap is nicely covered by some sort of plastic shield that extends down to the face of the DW

I like it, looks more or less in line with the other carreras we currently have, almost like a "Next Generation" type of deal.

• 4 weeks later...
Just some eyecandy of the newly released "Grand Carrera" series with 43mm case. Nice pictures, in TTK-class! :)

The style of the subdials, with a fixed hand and rotating disc seems odd... What do you guys think?

I'm not a big fan of Tag, but this I admit, tease me.

The design of index are superb (two finish on them). Like the design of the dial, and these "c

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

That is a HORRIBLE rep! Ick!

As an aside I notice that Tag had a Grand Carrera chrono strapped to Lewis Hamilton's wrist at the Australian GP yesterday. He's obviously too much of a hot property to be wearing an F1 Quartz any more (or maybe it will be back at the next race! :D )