When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Panerai: a has-been in the italian military

tag

Oh.

My.

Gawd!

:huh::huh::huh:

They took the key features of a Panerai and totally ba5tard1zed it. WTF is up with that crown guard??? Why the California-style dial? As much as PAMs aren't really my cup of tea, I can at least appreciate the simplicity and minimalism of models like the 112h, that watch is just nasty :huh:

It looks Soviet to me.

Well, I'm never wearing a commie watch!!

...although I do own a Poljot watch, a replica of one worn by Yuri Gagarin...but that's because I'm into all things space and stuff...I'm sorry, did I just water down the force of my convictions with this inane chatter? Moving on!

To be released in october.

"USA & CANADA

J. A. Meyer

156 West Main St, Kutztown, Pa 19530, USA."

You know, I have never gotten this -- exclusive AD rights business.

Tangentially, Patek have one measely AD/official repair centre in all of the US too, whereas in Brazil they have two (H. Stern). WTF?

Thanks for the advice, tag!

Personally, that is one of the ugliest watches I ever happened to look at.

Even not a full cali dial, just the upper half.

The strap is gorgeous, though.

And the "X" at 10Hr is funny.

"USA & CANADA

J. A. Meyer

156 West Main St, Kutztown, Pa 19530, USA."

You know, I have never gotten this -- exclusive AD rights business.

Tangentially, Patek have one measely AD/official repair centre in all of the US too, whereas in Brazil they have two (H. Stern). WTF?

Agreed, but North America is not as far up the list of luxury watch buying regions as one might think. Plus we have relatively safe mail. I'd want to hand my $100,000 watch directly to the Patek general manager in Brazil...and return his daughter when I got my watch back. :o

Agreed, but North America is not as far up the list of luxury watch buying regions as one might think.

:lol: :lol: :huh:

Plus we have relatively safe mail.

Well, that's true. Anyone who has ever lived in France, e.g., can tell you their postal system is a crying shame...and that's a soi-disant First World country!

I'd want to hand my $100,000 watch directly to the Patek general manager in Brazil...and return his daughter when I got my watch back. :o

:D

(I know Hans Stern's family, so that was funny!)

Actually...it is more Panerai then you think!

In my eyes, the case looks exactly like this Panerai prototype from the 1980's (minus the crown guard of course).

I'd prefer a different dial and I owuld get rid of the gold bezel marker. Other than that, the case IS very Panerai. That doesn't mean I would buy one though!

post-3363-1189058492_thumb.jpg

1) I think it looks pretty cool- silly dial graphics excepted.2) It looks very, very well finished.3) I am not surprised the Italian military is opting for an Italian watch.4) Will likley be way overpriced.-O1) I think it looks pretty cool- silly dial graphics excepted.2) It looks very, very well finished.3) I am not surprised the Italian military is opting for an Italian watch.4) Will likley be way overpriced.-O

If THATS what the Italian military wants, LET THEM HAVE IT!

I am not surprised the Italian military is opting for an Italian watch

People, what are you thinking??

That watch has NOTHING to do with present-day Italian Navy, you will never see one on their wrist.

It's just a small house targeting a small number of old fashioned fascist-enthusiasts with decent bank accounts.

In my eyes, the case looks exactly like this Panerai prototype from the 1980's (minus the crown guard of course).

Yes, just OP had the good taste of leaving it at the state of prototype... :lol:

It's just a small house targeting a small number of old fashioned fascist-enthusiasts with decent bank accounts.

Harsh! Why fascist-enthusiasts? Not challenging, just genuinely want to know. Is it because of the XaMas in close proximity to the death skull and rose? :)

(The Fascist cult of death, etc)

One time I told my father that Panerai was the watch of the Italian "maiale" submariners, who bombed Allied cruisers. He pointed out that his uncle was one such victim of those "subs", and why would I wear such a tribute to those who had killed my own kin?

I countered with, "for the same reason you and mum had a Volkswagen in the 70s". You know, Hitler's pet project? A car for "the masses".

He grunted, and changed the conversation.

P.S.: I wonder if people like Paolo Di Canio would wear this new watch. *g*

Harsh! Why fascist-enthusiasts? Not challenging, just genuinely want to know. Is it because of the XaMas in close proximity to the death skull and rose? :)

(The Fascist cult of death, etc)

Yes Victoria, you got it perfectly.

I was not especially using 'fascist-enthusiast' in its political meaning (which I suppose is the first to get perceived by American people*), rather in its historical meaning.

*yes, yes, I know you are not American :)

I am all but a commie, and I feel the greatest respect to the men of XaMas -- as a matter of fact I even had to defend them on RWG I some time ago, maybe that post got lost in the 6-months RWG I lobothomy. In the Alessiandria rush they managed to sink the biggest amount of enemy Navy tons at the smallest expense of human lives (and I am sorry for your dad's uncle).

But that is an entirely different matter from wearing on one's wrist a skull-and-rose-and-slogan watch in 2007. I would be very curious to know how many people who will actually buy that watch would have the balls to behave today like the Alessandria frogmen did.

P.S.: I wonder if people like Paolo Di Canio would wear this new watch. *g*

"Paolo Di Canio"?

Uhm, on your pic I suppose he is a soccer player.

And on his gesture yes, I also suppose he would get placed quite right on the political compass ;)

Considering that soccer players use to have big money and low taste then yes, I definitely think he may be a target for that XaMas watch :lol:

Its interesting that the US distributor is Jeff and Val Meyer, the owners of Strapmasters straps....

Strapmasters

They used to have the contract with the Fabrizio Ciampi Brelli factory to make their Decimas Logo straps (awesome straps) with the Skull buckle logo (now pictured on the watch)...they are one of the few folks to have a permission to use that logo...

Anyway, they no longer make the Decimas Xmas straps (unfortunately) and supposedly they were going to come out with something better...hence, the good looking strap on that fugly watch.

BTW, Elliot now has the contract with Fabrizio to make his PAV straps and others in the Brelli factory. Awesome straps too...

Anyway, I'd be interested in that strap....but not that fugly watch