When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Scam alert

Nanuq

I have been, in the last 24 hours, the target of a VERY clever scam on the internet. I received notice from Ebay that a claim has been opened against me for non-payment of a specific, expensive item over the last few weeks. The email headers looked to be genuine and the links in the email took me to what appeared to be Ebay sites for proving that I had indeed paid for the item. I admit I did not deobfuscate the URLs to IP addresses before I clicked. My bad.

Subsequent contact with the seller reveals he did not open a claim against me.

People, I do electronic security for a living, I deal with the intricacies of the web and all forms of electronic communications in ways I cannot even divulge. And this took me for a ride. It was clever and extremely well prepared.

The only places I have posted photos of my purchase are here, RWG1 and Timezone. The only link back to my purchase is by the url to the original auction photos, which *could* lead to the seller, which could lead to the buyer, which could lead to me. The scammers are active on one of those three sites.

I took steps last night to isolate my business dealings on the web, changed ALL passwords, and verified this morning there have been no intrusions. However my server has been slammed by access attempts from overseas. I am logging this.

Gents and ladies, PROTECT YOURSELVES. There are some extremely sophisticated persons attempting financial gain through scams and this last one took me by surprise... and that's a very hard thing to do.

PROTECT YOURSELVES. It's time to change all sensitive passwords and to monitor your finances for a few weeks. In a week change the passwords again.

Cheers, -Nanuq

Indeed to this end I never click any links to eBay, PayPal, my Online Banking etc etc......

If I get anything that looks official I always close it and go through my normal log in to the site in question, if I then find nothing in relation to the topic I go back and send the whole E-mail to the sites spoof or security site, yes I know many feel that they don't follow it up but in fact if they receive enough complaints it will be looked into and they do catch these people from time to time.

Ken

There are some scary and sophisticated people on the net. I've seen people have private details looked up and posted for other's amusement, IPs traced so someone can then work out where a person works and post pictures of that online... Having seen that, nothing on the net surprises me anymore...

Thanks for bringing this to our attention :)

i must admit i love writing fake emails, and passwords that make out swears when i get these phishing mails. For instance my last paypal scam login was

whatamianidiot@kissmyass.com

and my pass was

youdirtyrottenscammer

i really enjoy these small moments of retaliation. I can just see the face of the nigerian hustler getting my precious login details, hi hi.

If I get anything that looks official I always close it and go through my normal log in to the site in question, if I then find nothing in relation to the topic I go back and send the whole E-mail to the sites spoof or security site, yes I know many feel that they don't follow it up but in fact if they receive enough complaints it will be looked into and they do catch these people from time to time. Ken

This is the correct way to deal with emails that involve any type of money matters.

When you "mouse over" a URL the direction for the link usually appears in your status bar... that should be a nominative, not a numeric. In this case it WAS nominative, it had a word I won't divulge prepended to the word "ebay" followed by .com Very clever indeed. Someone registered some domains to spoof the appearance of ebay even by DNS lookups.

If you're quick, you can get a few white hats to take the site down. Nothing says scammer like a DDoS or bandwidth hogger. Another method we ... um, I've heard about, is writing a perl-script that posts seemingly real data to the site every 3 seconds. If they have your address in a database, bury it in trash.