When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Noob Yacht-Master Review

bklm1234

This YM comes from the same factory as the noobmariner. This factory makes some of the best out-of-the-box rollies, including both the correct hand stack and incorrect hand stack EXP2 and of course the noobmariners. The GMT2's are excellent too but with mods (pls read By-Tor's latest GMT2 review). The strongest part of this factory's rollies is the near perfect reproduction of the rehaut thickness (mind you it's thickness, not depth). From the front, they have the best looking and closest to gen view, beating even the MBW and TBW. Their rehaut thickness has a lot to do with that.

This version has been carried by EddieLee, Angus (ETA version), and TTK & Naarika (Asian version). I don't know why all other dealers carry the other version which I think is inferior to this version.

Frontal.

Colors and texture is very important to YM. This version has the correct color and really good texture throughout. The dial is not overly yellow like the other version (carried by Paul, Josh, Andrew, Ruby, King, etc.) The red on "Yacht-Master" is bloody red like the gen. I'm very impressed with that. It's a little less bold than gen but I take it. The second hand has really good red too.

The bezel insert has excellent polished numbers and correct texture between the numbers, unlike the other version which has too much sparkly, shiny stuff. Like the real thing, I'm sure oil from your fingers will stick to the insert and darken it so better not touch the insert.

No problem with the font and short markers.

Cyclop has correct mag, date window is correctly positioned unlike the other version which is too far right.

Correct hand size and maxi dial indices.

The rehaut isn't deep and neither is the gen's. The rehaut thickness is correct (thick) unlike the other version.

The crown is a little too thick. But the teeth are sharp like gen.

CGs are good enough. It's very hard to mod it to a U anyway.

img0014jv3.jpg

img0016ut0.jpg

Quarter view.

Bezel is thick like the gen. Bezel profile is correct where there shouldn't be a bottom portion like the sub's. The teeth could be longer and sharper but they are ok. Bezel insert is recessed => good.

Crystal height is good and has correct bevel angle.

Sides of case are rounded accurately.

SELs fit very well and stick out like the gen's => very good replication there as well.

img0018ny3.jpg

Gen:

RLX3258s.JPG

img0017kp4.jpg

img0025up7.jpg

Side view:

img0019qk7.jpg

Bracelet.

Bracelet has the correct solid midlinks. It's a lot heavier than hollow midlink bracelet. The whole watch feels very substantial and great to those weight chasers. The finish is the best I've seen. No need to do any polishing on it and it wears very comfortable, no sharp edges like most sub bracelets. The link screws are very well machined, a rare find in rollie reps. The total length fits an 8" - 8 1/2" no problem.

img0023ky4.jpg

img0024rl7.jpg

img0022go7.jpg

Lastly, the lume is better than any rollie reps I have seen. When walking from outside to indoors, the markers just glow. I didn't notice that but my coworker told me "hey the markers are glowing".

Here's a gallery of the same watch from different members:

Picture731.jpg

Picture676.jpg

Picture758.jpg

ym1.jpg

ym2.jpg

ym3.jpg

ym4.jpg

ym5.jpg

IMG_5208_mod.jpg

IMG_5210_mod.jpg

IMG_5207_mod.jpg

IMG_5212_mod.jpg

IMG_5210_text_mod.jpg

IMG_5215_mod.jpg

IMG_5216_mod.jpg

IMG_5217_mod.jpg

-bk

Brilliant. Thanks for bringing this review here my friend. This version is YM looks so good... I'm not a fan of this watch but the rep really is quite amazing. I agree, the "Noob" factory really makes the best Rollies.

Now it's easy to point new members to this thread when they're asking YM questions. It's weird... nobody has ever done a proper review of this watch before (not that I remember anyway). This is excellent stuff.

Hi Bk..... thanks for a great review of a great watch......the Yachtie seems to lag behind the Subs and Daytonas......but IMO it's a great watch......I just wish that Rolex had seen fit to re-issue it in 44 / 45 mm size.....it would be quite spectacular.....!

BTW....great photos as well.....beautfully clear and informative....!

Hi BK,

Great idea to review this one.

I'd say that for all Rolie fans, the YM and Explorer II are at the end of the huge list of subs (modern and vintage), the GMT II and Daytona.

But reading your review is the first time I would consider that exact YM.

Thanks a lot for posting this.

Can't wait for a black and white Explorer II incorrect hand stack review now ;)

Cheers

Stephane

Hi everyone,

Was reading this great review yesterday morning and thought...I've got to have that on my wrist despite the fact that I was supposed to be looking for a Sub!

Emailed Narikaa that lunchtime and after a very efficient and friendly exchange the deal was done and the tracking details were with me within half an hour.

Doorbell went at 11.30am today and the postman handed me my new Yachtmaster, carefully packed. I won't bother with pics because, to be honest it looks just like the photos in the review, i.e bloody good, great weight and an absolute steal at

Hi BK............great review ........your the man! I've always been a big fan of the Yachtmaster and had so badly wanted one of yours when you were doing that deal. Question for you I'm close to figuring out this skype deal with TTK and contacting him .............is there any real difference (noticable) between the eta/asian versions? TTK's noobs are the best...I've had several subs and its usually quite sad when they arrive. Ecept my Gens of course :) Well secound thought that Gen price is a sad thing..........

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...