When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

People who don't wear Watches

Victoria

Do you wear a watch daily?  

94 members have voted

1. 1. Well do you?

• Yes, I wear a watch every day
    • No, not every day
    • Sometimes I forget

It's sad that the one man who could afford any watch he wants wears a Fossil. I guess once a nerd, always a nerd. I use to wear Fossil's back in Elementry school now I just laugh.

billfossilqd8.jpg

He's a technologicial maniac. And fossil was one of the first proponents of Microsoft's SPOT technology. And being that Mr. Gates looks like he doesn't exercise, he has no need for the Suunto SPOT watch either. :p

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All you fossil haters...

My 1st Watch was a Fossil....it was a SS band Chronometer with Carbon Fiber Dial. I wore that watch for 3 years before it died. I loved that watch. Its what started my love for watches.

Now my tastes have been refined, but I'm not sure Id be here today if it wasnt for that very 1st Fossil watch =)

I often find myself staring at poeples wrists for two reasons:

1. To wonder what time piece is on thier wrist and wich wrist it's on of course.

2. Why some people do not wear watches.

Most people I know say the same egenric messege others have posted "why have a watch when your cell phone shows the time"

And that is correct, I have a cellphone as well as most of us.

But it just isn't the same. I really like the example a memebr posted about being at a bar and having a lady ask for the time, and he easily gave a response with a twist of his wrist while his friends scurried about to reach their phones.

But it just isn't the same. I really like the example a memebr posted about being at a bar and having a lady ask for the time, and he easily gave a response with a twist of his wrist while his friends scurried about to reach their phones.

Me too. :)

I can imagine the scene. Beautiful blonde approaches 5 young guys, asking for the time. 4 start fumbling in their pockets for their mobiles, whilst one Cary Grant debonaire type (Bravoz) coolly, but with amazing machoness, extends his arm, flips his wrist, and with a twinkle in his eyes, tells her the time.

As she leaves, she looks back, he looks up, their eyes lock, and they know. They know.

The other guys all left their Fossil watches behind.

Me too. :)

I can imagine the scene. Beautiful blonde approaches 5 young guys, asking for the time. 4 start fumbling in their pockets for their mobiles, whilst one Cary Grant debonaire type (Bravoz) coolly, but with amazing machoness, extends his arm, flips his wrist, and with a twinkle in his eyes, tells her the time.

As she leaves, she looks back, he looks up, their eyes lock, and they know. They know.

At which point she asks:

"Rolex?" He looks smug.

"Oh Mee ga."

"Beautifull..."

:lol:

Love that scene :lol:

For the nanosecond it registers in my noggin, I just chalk them up as a member of the great silent crappy-dressing majority. A watch is as much as an article of clothing as a tie or belt, IMO, in addition to a tool to tell the time. I'm trying to think of someone I know who I think is a good dresser who doesn't also wear a watch, and I can't.

At which point she asks:

"Rolex?" He looks smug.

"Oh Mee ga."

"Beautifull..."

:lol:

Love that scene :lol:

Personally, I like the full version in context ;)

VL:"MI6 looks for maladjusted young men that give little thought to sacrificing others in order to protect Queen and country. You know, former SAS types with easy smiles and expensive watches......Rolex?"

JB: Omega

VL <nods appreciatively>

:D

That is my FAVOURITE scene of the film.

I like how she's obviously been checking out his entire person all the time they had their eyes locked in conversation, but she gives 007's watch a brief glance, and says "Rolex?". Without looking down (as would be reflexibly the case with almost all of us), he arrogantly replies in a clipped voice, "Omega". She says "Beautiful", lifts her eyebrows, bends her head down, and absorbs the news.

Simple, elegant scene. Love it.

(What a weird comment in the reply section, about Eva Green having an annoying voice. Maybe an annoying accent, but RRRR, I love her voice! Yes, a woman can have a crush on another woman's voice, what?) ;)

EDIT: Oh Bravoz, you can do this in future now:

zQg2dI9r3G8&NR=1, then look up and where you see Youtube in the HTML codes on top of the post, just click on that. It automatically embeds it so we can view it without clicking. :)

(Once you posted, you either have to do it manually thus [ Youtube ] ... [/ Youtube], or "Full Edit" it)

That is my FAVOURITE scene of the film.

I like how she's obviously been checking out his entire person all the time they had their eyes locked in conversation, but she gives 007's watch a brief glance, and says "Rolex?". Without looking down (as would be reflexibly the case with almost all of us), he arrogantly replies in a clipped voice, "Omega". She says "Beautiful", lifts her eyebrows, bends her head down, and absorbs the news.

Simple, elegant scene. Love it.

(What a weird comment in the reply section, about Eva Green having an annoying voice. Maybe an annoying accent, but RRRR, I love her voice! Yes, a woman can have a crush on another woman's voice, what?) ;)

You know, I think only us WIS's love that scene, and I can see the other side.....it's quite possibly the most overt cheesy verbal product placement ever committed to celluloid (thank god there's no closeup). I mean it even has the outright cheek to jab a finger in the ribs of Rolex, a festering snub that dates back to 1967 when some snotty Rolex clerk suggested that the props director on Dr No should buy retail (in the end, Connery wore Fleming's own Rolex). But for all that, it is carried off with aplomb, probably due to the delivery of the two actors, particularly Ms Green.

And I suggest any man (straight or gay even) that says either she, her voice, her accent or any other part of her is "annoying" just has bad taste. Elegantly gorgeous...*check*......confident/playful...*check*.....English spoken with sultry French accent *check*. Mmmmmm....:wub:

You know, I think only us WIS's love that scene, and I can see the other side.....it's quite possibly the most overt cheesy verbal product placement ever committed to celluloid (thank god there's no closeup). I mean it even has the outright cheek to jab a finger in the ribs of Rolex, a festering snub that dates back to 1967 when some snotty Rolex clerk suggested that the props director on Dr No should buy retail (in the end, Connery wore Fleming's own Rolex). But for all that, it is carried off with aplomb, probably due to the delivery of the two actors, particularly Ms Green.

Yes, she makes the scene. :)

The tension between them is genuine (that is, on the screen, I have no idea if they got along together as actors), and you'll recall moments later how he cuts her down to size by analysing her dress sense -- in choosing overly mannish-coloured clothes, she actually achieves the exact opposite effect of men NOT respecting her as a person, not just as a woman.

That entire by-play between them, when they first meet is WONDERFUL, sexy, tense, alluring, full of promise, with a dash of mystery and musk. The endless battle of the sexes that promises delicious surrender.

Just like male-female relationships should always be. ;)

Case in point, I will disagree with you here about the "product placement".

Was it in Brosnan's first stint as 007 where the producers were ridiculous in advertising sponsors? Remember the Pepsi placement? Or the incessant ramming down our throat of the Beemers? And the whole Omega transition. Oh God that was awful -- so obvious.

I'd much rather have this OVERT scene than cutesy insider references splayed throughout a film. It's more honest. And it was handled through dialogue, which as a writer, I loved. :)

And I suggest any man (straight or gay even) that says either she, her voice, her accent or any other part of her is "annoying" just has bad taste. Elegantly gorgeous...*check*......confident/playful...*check*.....English spoken with sultry French accent *check*. Mmmmmm....:wub:

I love her voice, accent or no. I frequently have woman crushes about women's voices -- usually the raspier the better. Tallulah Bankhead. Kathleen Turner. Diana Rigg. Heck, even Demi Moore. RRRRRR. :wub:

Personally, I like the full version in context ;)VL:"MI6 looks for maladjusted young men that give little thought to sacrificing others in order to protect Queen and country. You know, former SAS types with easy smiles and expensive watches......Rolex?"JB: OmegaVL <nods appreciatively>:D
Although, I think that the 'icing on the cake' of that particular scene, is the "Good evening, Mister Bond..." at the end :lol:
You know, I think only us WIS's love that scene, and I can see the other side.....it's quite possibly the most overt cheesy verbal product placement ever committed to celluloid (thank god there's no closeup). I mean it even has the outright cheek to jab a finger in the ribs of Rolex, a festering snub that dates back to 1967 when some snotty Rolex clerk suggested that the props director on Dr No should buy retail (in the end, Connery wore Fleming's own Rolex). But for all that, it is carried off with aplomb, probably due to the delivery of the two actors, particularly Ms Green. And I suggest any man (straight or gay even) that says either she, her voice, her accent or any other part of her is "annoying" just has bad taste. Elegantly gorgeous...*check*......confident/playful...*check*.....English spoken with sultry French accent *check*. Mmmmmm....:wub:
Actually, it was Brocolli's Rolex, not Fleming's. And, I'm not sure about a snotty clerk, but I'd heard that Rolex (as a company) would not loan them one to use for filming, which was why Brocolli took his own off for Sir Sean to wear :)
Yes, she makes the scene. :)The tension between them is genuine (that is, on the screen, I have no idea if they got along together as actors), and you'll recall moments later how he cuts her down to size by analysing her dress sense -- in choosing overly mannish-coloured clothes, she actually achieves the exact opposite effect of men NOT respecting her as a person, not just as a woman. That entire by-play between them, when they first meet is WONDERFUL, sexy, tense, alluring, full of promise, with a dash of mystery and musk. The endless battle of the sexes that promises delicious surrender.Just like male-female relationships should always be. ;)Case in point, I will disagree with you here about the "product placement". Was it in Brosnan's first stint as 007 where the producers were ridiculous in advertising sponsors? Remember the Pepsi placement? Or the incessant ramming down our throat of the Beemers? And the whole Omega transition. Oh God that was awful -- so obvious.I'd much rather have this OVERT scene than cutesy insider references splayed throughout a film. It's more honest. And it was handled through dialogue, which as a writer, I loved. :)I love her voice, accent or no. I frequently have woman crushes about women's voices -- usually the raspier the better. Tallulah Bankhead. Kathleen Turner. Diana Rigg. Heck, even Demi Moore. RRRRRR. :wub:
How about Sigourney Weaver? :wub::wub::wub:

Although, I think that the 'icing on the cake' of that particular scene, is the "Good evening, Mister Bond..." at the end :lol: Actually, it was Brocolli's Rolex, not Fleming's. And, I'm not sure about a snotty clerk, but I'd heard that Rolex (as a company) would not loan them one to use for filming, which was why Brocolli took his own off for Sir Sean to wear :)
Fleming's or Brocolli's another of those arguments, doesn't matter really, largely depends what/who you believe ;) But yes, a call was placed and the low-mid-level jobsworth clerk quoted company policy on loans and directed them to a retail source. BTW, I meant '62 of course not '67.

But whilst we're veering off at a tangent...talking of sultry/husky-voiced Bond girls with a penchant for a nice watch, how about Honor Blackman, the most famously-named of all Bond girls who wore a 6542 GMT Master in Goldfinger? Probably the only Bond girl pre-Vesper that was a match for 'Meester Bond'.

bondgoldf3ro3.jpg

:wub:

1813290ai9.jpg

Nice watch. Not sure what it is, but it looks great on her. And she IS very tall (182m). She towers over Met's captain, John Franco. :wub:

EDIT: Could that be an IWC Porto in gold like Pix has??

If anyone needs a PAM, she does :D

Fleming's or Brocolli's another of those arguments, doesn't matter really, largely depends what/who you believe ;)

:huh: Noo, what matters, is what is factually correct... This isn't like religion, where it is up to the person to decide what to believe, it's a case of one thing being correct, the other being wrong... It was Brocolli's watch, not Flemings. :)

Bonding With Time

Ravens35 Comment

But whilst we're veering off at a tangent...talking of sultry/husky-voiced Bond girls with a penchant for a nice watch, how about Honor Blackman, the most famously-named of all Bond girls who wore a 6542 GMT Master in Goldfinger? Probably the only Bond girl pre-Vesper that was a match for 'Meester Bond'.

bondgoldf3ro3.jpg

Don't forget Diana Rigg's character though ;) Okay, so she didn't last beyond the end of the novel/movie, but had a way longer impact on Bond than Ms Gallore ;) There was also Domino in Thunderball who also wore "a man's watch" Not such a heavy-weight character, but still worth mention :)

I'm thinking of starting a new poll... People who care too much about whether other people are wearing a watch or not.... Should they be unconcerned? - Or are they just plain doolally?

I actually enjoy this brief moment off arrogance on this forum. Its comparable to the gen rep discussions going on @ timezone. It reminds me that we are all just human.

I couldnt care less if people wear watches or not.

But i really hate people wearing socks in sandals. Or people who eat while talking to me on the phone. Or parents who think society owes them something, now they have a kid.

but thats just me :p

I actually enjoy this brief moment off arrogance on this forum. Its comparable to the gen rep discussions going on @ timezone. It reminds me that we are all just human.

I couldnt care less if people wear watches or not.

But i really hate people wearing socks in sandals. Or people who eat while talking to me on the phone. Or parents who think society owes them something, now they have a kid.

but thats just me :p

The sandals thing = Me being American, I hate it, but my nana, who is Japanese, sees it as a custom.

The eating thing = My cousin Jimmy does it all the time. Even worse is when he does it with his mouth open.

Parents and society = I have a friend whose parents think this way because he became a doctor. So his parents ACTUALLY think he is doing society a favor.

Actually, that was the only scene I liked from that movie. The rest was a cartoon. Slightly better than the Roger Moore rubbish, but it fell far short of Connery's worst 60's & early 70's efforts (excusing his Never Say Never Again mistake). While I think Craig's a great actor, the rest of this flick made me pine for George Lazenby.