When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Who wants a Rolex phone?

woody

Following article taken from Engadget Mobile....

LG shows off Rolex cellphone concept

Posted Oct 10th 2007 1:31PM by Donald Melanson

Filed under: Handsets, LG

LG has already teamed up with Prada and Roberto Cavalli on a couple of fashionphones, and it now looks like it might be ready to work with another similarly high-end brand as well, with TechDigest catching sight of a Rolex concept phone the company recently had on display. Unfortunately, LG doesn't seem to have allowed any pictures of the mysterious yet surely classy phone to be taken, although TechDigest has thankfully provided a description of it to make up for that unfortunate absence. Apparently, the centerpiece of the phone is a presumably-genuine Rolex watch-face that's embedded in the casing, which gets complemented by "luxurious leathery exterior," all of which reporetedly looked "reassuringly expensive." While there's no word on a possible release, or any evidence of Rolex's direct involvement for that matter, TechDigest says the phone, and other other concept devices on display (including one with a " fully transparent keypad"), were all "pretty well manufactured," which suggests a release could at least be possible.

OMG, a white elephant if ever I heard of one. A strange attempt to get in on Nokia's Vertu market.

Sadly, I'm going with the naysayers. This might be amusing or disastrous; I'm guessing both.

I liked the first Vertu. I really wanted to own one, but it was out of my price range. The original lines were a bit Art Nouveau-ish, despite the gold, and obvious courting of the female market.

But when mobile companies and fashion designers join forces, BAD BAD things happen.

vertuboucherr4.jpg

vertuboucherr4.jpg

ARRGGHHHHH!! MY EYES!!!!!! *clawing and scratching*

Gay is not the word...try hideous, deformed, tasteless, abhorrent, Elton John, etc :yuk:

I was offered a Vertu recently as one of my mates works for their PR, but I turned it down - one of the 'cheap' Ti models tasteful enough but an ergonomic disaster not to mention too chunky for the cut of my suit or even the little 'change' pocket on my jeans. No thanks. <_<

ascentblacklq9.jpg

Still very happy with this old faithful of over two years now :wub: (without the cheesy AM branding of course) and yes, she's getting a bit long in the (blue)tooth now but aren't we all....

nokia8800astonmartinedibs4.jpg

Still very happy with this old faithful of over two years now :wub: (without the cheesy AM branding of course) and yes, she's getting a bit long in the (blue)tooth now but aren't we all....

An awesome phone :) I've had my Motorola Razr V3 since they first came out, and think it's the best phone I've had. There are some nice new phones available, and I quite like the look of the Vertu, but, I know the exposed screen would get scuffed up, where clam-shell phones save that problem. Wouldn't mind a new Razr though, they look very slick :lol:

An awesome phone :) I've had my Motorola Razr V3 since they first came out, and think it's the best phone I've had. There are some nice new phones available, and I quite like the look of the Vertu, but, I know the exposed screen would get scuffed up, where clam-shell phones save that problem.
Thanks :D Just does everything I want in a phone - make calls, nothing more. Battery life is only issue but I carry spare couple just in case. I also have a chunky plasticky N73 (free 'upgrade') which I hated even more due to the crappy slow Symbian software so I demoted it to run my TomTom.

Wouldn't mind a new Razr though, they look very slick :lol:
Hmmm, how about a KRZR? ;)

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=46494

Thanks :D Just does everything I want in a phone - make calls, nothing more. Battery life is only issue but I carry spare couple just in case. I also have a chunky plasticky N73 (free 'upgrade') which I hated even more due to the crappy slow Symbian software so I demoted it to run my TomTom.

I know what you mean, the V3 does all I need it to do. I had one of the v5s years ago, and that was a good little phone. By today's standards, it missed a load of features which are now standard, like camera, bluetooth etc, but in it's day, it was good. I think the V3 will still be able to hold it's own for a while, but, the new Razr does look pretty good...

If you still had it, and I had the spare

An awesome phone :) I've had my Motorola Razr V3 since they first came out, and think it's the best phone I've had. There are some nice new phones available, and I quite like the look of the Vertu, but, I know the exposed screen would get scuffed up, where clam-shell phones save that problem. Wouldn't mind a new Razr though, they look very slick :lol:

Vertu's have a sapphire crystal face, so that scuffing issue is solved.

ARRGGHHHHH!! MY EYES!!!!!! *clawing and scratching*

Gay is not the word...try hideous, deformed, tasteless, abhorrent, Elton John, etc :yuk:

I was offered a Vertu recently as one of my mates works for their PR, but I turned it down - one of the 'cheap' Ti models tasteful enough but an ergonomic disaster not to mention too chunky for the cut of my suit or even the little 'change' pocket on my jeans. No thanks. <_<

ascentblacklq9.jpg

I had the 8801 for about a year and it was great but I really got sick of the crappy battery life of not even one day (it even comes with an extra battery). You should have at least taken the vertu and sold it on fleabay......or given it away in a rwg member :-)

Vertu's have a sapphire crystal face, so that scuffing issue is solved.
So does my Nokia 8800, it's bloody impossible to scratch ;)

I'm more into functionality than design.... now the Nokia N95... thats a phone!!! 5 MX Camera.. GPS, WIFI, you name it! ;)
Yeah but it's a frikkin' brick!!! :lol:

Vertu is Nokia, by the way.
Vertu IS Nokia? Pffff, next you'll be telling me Lexus IS Toyota, yeah right :whistling:;)

Battery life? ;)
I had the 8801 for about a year and it was great but I really got sick of the crappy battery life of not even one day (it even comes with an extra battery).
The N series are like nuclear reactors compared with my 8800's weedy powerplant - however a firmware upgrade and swapping out batteries to the same form/better capacity 6X type gets me about 2 days decent/heavy use....making it 4 days with the spare I carry....more than good enough.

Must admit though it has let me down on occasion re. battery, so as of next week, I have this sleek little understudy on standby for business trips when the 8800 needs some time off to relax :D

classicaz2.jpg

Well maybe the Apple Iphone. Next year.
Or the year after that, if I can be bothered :whistling:

I am an Apple man, always have been always will be, but the iPhone is the first product Job's has brought out that I consider technologically inferior and restrictive in its use. Launches in a few weeks here in UK, but no 3G (WTF?) and no way around an 18-month contract with one of crappier networks who puckered up and agreed to Apple's demanding terms (Vodafone having told Jobs where to stick his EDGE iPhone). Think I'll pass, stick with my lovely Nokias and buy an iPod Touch :D

Think I'll pass, stick with my lovely Nokias and buy an iPod Touch :D

I need to get a job before Nov 9th just so I can get an iPhone. :D

Yes, I know they're only EDGE, but I'll spend most of my time in WiFi range. For what I do on a Mobile (Google Maps, BBC News, occasional email) my RAZR (regular GPRS) seems to be quick enough so a slightly faster EDGE connection will do me fine, I hope.

At least EDGE doesn't eat batteries for breakfast like 3G does. :D