When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My MBW 1665 DRSD back from Joe

dieselpower

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm with Freddy on this. It's not going to do any good getting all upset. Sure Joe takes advantage in a cagey type of way- things like a better crown and a better bezel insert w/ a better pearl. Sure, they're aftermarket parts and really not better as such, but the situation can be salvaged. Putting a decent insert w/ small acrylic pearl on there can still be done, same with a gen crown and tube. Also, the Clark's T-39 if diesel so desires can be fitted on there. It's a good learnig experience and in the end, if diesel stays w/ it, he can have a better DRSD, and we'll all know once again, WATCH OUT FOR JOE!

@dieselpower:

Wouldn't it be much more important to post this to RWI, where Joe is a moderator... and where all new Joe mod jobs take place? He has been banned from this forum, and doesn't collect new customers from here.

At RWI you stated there that you're happy with the watch and communication.

http://replica-watch.info/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30947

Isn't this quite misleading... and just encourage more people to send watches to him?

The thing I do not understand is how & why anyone in their right mind would allow someone like Joe, with his history of questionable activities, to moderate anything related to watches? :bangin: That just gives the guy credibility he does not deserve & is probably why people like Diesel continue to be misled into listening to & entrusting him with their watches.

im really really sorry to here what happened to you ....

i remember to had a half funny discussion with RBJ in a sales-thread before.

but nothing ruins a nice vintage MBW ;)

there are some mods you can do yourself for free like put the bad pearl out of the insert

or slightly bleach the rep-insert - makes a huge difference.

or bye some Revell Night Color - a little patience and a toothpick brings you a nice tritium-effect.

you are in the EU ? i can offer you the mods for free if you want -

just PM me i didt a lot of work on vintage MBWs before.

or - the best solution - finally put this nice piece on your wrist and enjoy it :rolleyes:

Frank

Upset? Upset is having to wait six months to get your watch back.

Annoyed? Annoyed is having some poor quality work done, or getting excuses for delay.

What adjective would you use then for being charged $650 for the privilege of being scammed??? Answers on a postcard please....

@Diesel - hope we haven't scared you off? :unsure: Would really like to see that breakdown. As you can see there's plenty of folks here, myself included, who are happy to help in any way we can, so please bear that in mind.

The thing I do not understand is how & why anyone in their right mind would allow someone like Joe, with his history of questionable activities, to moderate anything related to watches?

That's a good question. Perhaps it should be addressed to the owners/admins of RWI?

Theres a lot of things over at RWI that dont make much sense, so this doesnt really surprise me haha

Life is good

lol

The thing I do not understand is how & why anyone in their right mind would allow someone like Joe, with his history of questionable activities, to moderate anything related to watches? :bangin: That just gives the guy credibility he does not deserve & is probably why people like Diesel continue to be misled into listening to & entrusting him with their watches.

That's a good question. Perhaps it should be addressed to the owners/admins of RWI?

Why?

The point is that not having to ask these types of questions is one of the reasons I spend more of my time here instead of there. No offense to anyone at RWI, but I think clearer heads tend to prevail on RWG's side of the Web.

I think this goes beyond board politics to be honest.

I assume Joe has his sycophants/defenders over there, but surely they ought to take a look at this situation? I still can't get past that figure....six hundred and forty-five :blink:

But then like with all crimes, it need the victim to make a complaint, so posting THIS won't have helped...

dieselpower

I Think I like the Dark Side

Posts per day: 0.14

Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:57 am

Post subject:

Just to update. I finally got my modded watch back after a 7 month wait. In the end communication was good and I am happy with the piece.

'Keep the change Bob!'

I just posted a link to this topic at RWI... I dont like scammers so everyones got to know about this. We need to protect ourselves as a community from people like him.

@dieselpower:

Wouldn't it be much more important to post this to RWI, where Joe is a moderator... and where all new Joe mod jobs take place? He has been banned from this forum, and doesn't collect new customers from here.

At RWI you stated there that you're happy with the watch and communication.

http://replica-watch.info/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30947

Isn't this quite misleading... and just encourage more people to send watches to him?

I hope members from RW1 have enough sense to visit here before sending watches to RBJ. I'm not a member so I have no idea what goes on there.

This fraud has been going on for as long as I remember and yet, people keep sending their watches to RBJ. It puzzles me why the sheep keep visiting the slaughter house with all the info that has been posted on this subject.

The $600 plus price tag is an absolute total scam assuming it doesn't include the cost of the watch. Even if it includes the watch, the price for cheap rep parts and labor is absurd. Man, this sh*t totally pisses me off.

Diesel, I'm glad you finally received your watch.

Why?

The point is that not having to ask these types of questions is one of the reasons I spend more of my time here instead of there. No offense to anyone at RWI, but I think clearer heads tend to prevail on RWG's side of the Web.

It's not a forum vs. forum thing, or at least it shouldn't be. There might be different forums, but we are all in the same community. Lots of good members in all boards. Nobody deserves to be misled or ripped off, and it's the admins' and board owners' responsibility to protect the members.

OK chaps here is a direct quote from the email that Joe sent me concerning the costs:

"the case refinishing is just as described in what i sent u before here it is again

120 -red sub works package-mill cgs,tighten bezel,water test (,the obvious stuff like regrease o-rings , clean dial , clean crystal , clean inner ring like it should be, if using same insert i realign it for u , ) u can also just option for cgs milling for 60 bucks and the obvious stuff is included in that as well

75-new genuine crystal with correct date font i recommend and it is genuine ok i found a company from texas that will sell me the correct crystals and they say genuine , they cost 45 bucks and looking at it i really think it is genuine ok ( note if for a drsd add 30 bucks for the tropic 39 they cost me more ok)(45 bucks just to install, if u have your own crystal)

100-caseholes or lugholes drilled out and put the fatter pins in it also mill out the bracelet to fit the new pins ok

75-refinish case to make it look like a refinished watch like a 1970's watch should look like (no sharp lines on the top of the case lugs )

100-change crown/tube out to a smaller one more like genuine but aftermarket , the gens require more work actually and r not that much better imho (sometimes i have genuine ones in stock as well , generally they will run anywhere from 40 to 80 usd more , so u would add that)

100-to age the dial and hands add 50 bucks if u want them

to glow abit and have more of the tritium effect

65-new insert with correct ring around the pearl(metal) and font size(i do have genuine acrylic pearls as well that is a 60 usd upcharge) installed also i do put a glass like coat on the pearls now to make them look even better

40-polish and oil the bracelet to give it that silky feeling like genuine only with package if separate it is 60 bucks(what i do is buff each link and then put simichrome paste on it and rub it in good then i oil it down with wd-40 and then i scrub it in hot soapy water with a soft tooth brush)

now these prices r only in a package type deal , so basically if u choose two 100 dollar or more things to do u get this pricing if u pick and choose or u could do the whole enchilada as posted down below, doing things seperate r treated like a seperate job and i have to spend xtra time doing that particular job , so it will cost a little bit more, if u do a couple different jobs then it will be all apart more than likely so i already have it all apart therefore it is not as time consuming, hope u understand

so that is pretty much all the options on the red sub but that is what it will take to make it almost perfect the only thing that would not be correct would be the movement and the datewheel color but i still think they made the datewheel in white as well as ss so i dont think it is a big issue but i may be able to get those to i am waiting on a parts list from a new company ,hope this summs it up for u and u now no how picky i am and some things can be optional now the question is how picky r u? lol and if u get it all done I will give u a price of 600 for all mods done to it and 630 for the drsd (crystal cost more), also add 50 bucks if u choose the tritium glow look to the total price ok (upgrades stuff is extra) , i have a bergeon water pressure tester and i test them to 50 feet for u and if they pass i will tell u and if not i will tell u but understand this , if it passes I AM NOT GUARANTEEING ANYTHING , I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR WATCH IF IT GETS WATER IN IT

i can only give u peace of mind , u r not paying me like u would the big boys for that guarantee , but if u want to give me 3000 usd i will guarantee it then ,LOL!!! , cause in a sense u r paying for that luxury from the name brand watch makers!!!

DISCLAIMER- i am not responsible for any postage losses outside the usa , i have never had a problem yet but i cant predict what other countries do,, also i will insure all packages for 100 usd , if u want to insure for more u must pay for this and i ship two day priority , if u want shipped differently then u must request this and pay for the extra charges , thanks joe"

I am glad that docblackrock now finds this topic useful as I think it is important that people are made aware of the dangers to their pocket when dealing with certain individuals. I would also like to point out that it would have been very easy for me to keep quiet about the watch, enjoy wearing it and thus possibly allow others to tread this somewhat regrettable path. I can only hope that this thread is read by many others, especially those new to the world of modding and that they take careful heed of the much appreciated help contained herein. If it saves only one individual a couple of hundred bucks then I regard it as a thread well worth starting.

Please continue to make observations about my errors. As I said I have a thick skin and believe me, in the grand scheme of things this is not a life changing issue.

Thanks to all.

@diesel

Thanks for stepping up and posting that, it is VERY informative as well as extremely shocking. Reading it, it's clear you were most likely bamboozled by the snake oil salesman ramblings. But the claims and some of the charges provided by Joe are beyond extortionate.

I think the matter is now one for the Mods/Admin of this board to raise it with RWI equivalents in whatever manner they see fit.

If I were you, I would just concentrate on getting your watch up to spec.

P.S. And yes I did say I was happy with the watch. That was posted in haste and should really have been more like "I am happy to see the watch!" :lol: It was after a little thought and closer appraisal that I started this thread.

I would like to thank everyone for their kind offers of help and I will PM those concerned to try to get some things done to it to make it more like the vintage piece I imagined. As for the reticence I show, well, I don't like to cry over spilled milk. This is a learning curve and I am learning! I am a life long watch fan and I suppose I always will be. In future I will probably have many watches modded and will happily pay for the service and this lesson can only stand me in good stead and probably save me hundreds in the future. I look upon it as an investment. In myself.

This Topic shows the very reason why Joe is no longer allowed here at RWG...

Although it is not the only one...

Joe is a con and a scammer...

The very type of person that the Admin [of any Board] is charged with to protect the community from...

Just for brevity I'll take a walk down memory lane on one of my Vintage pieces...

Considerably less than just Joe's Mods for everything...

Double T

PS: Did I say Joe's a scammer?

Purchased from one of our very own...

MBW 1680

With the following Mods done by our fine friends Tommy & Ubi:

Genuine crystal (Tropic 127)

Genuine Triplock crown/tube

Genuine springbars

Lugs drilled

Aftermarket bezel insert

CG's have been shaped

Dial has been aged

The only thing I think I need to do is source a Genuine Bezel Insert and she's done...

TT is in :wub:

130025-19490.jpg

130025-19491.jpg

130025-19492.jpg

130025-19493.jpg

130025-19494.jpg

130025-19495.jpg

What a bummer.

After nearly 5 years on these forums, this is the worst example yet I have seen of exploitation of fellow members on this or any other forum.

Joe is a total scammer.

It certainly makes me grateful to have a member like The Zigmeister part of the day in and day out of RWG.

If one can afford the indulgence of modding, then good on him/her...but getting ripped is not cool...even if you can afford it.