When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Watchmaker9 2007 Z Submariner review

watcher

I am very tempted to go another step and buy a gen crystal on Ebay and there is also a gen complete bezel assembly currently for sale with insert included. A pricy option I guess but tempting!!

Watcher - This to me is what sets the WM9 Sub apart. If you have sunk to the obsessed level of wanting to build the ULTIMATE franken Sub by using Gen parts and won't rest until it is done - this Sub is a must have. At this point, for the truly obsesed individual who is on a mission to build the ULTIMATE Sub, the rational of how much it cost often takes a back seat.

I say GO FOR IT!!

What a watch it will be!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would like to thank Watcher for going forward in buying that watch and review it for us.

I also would like to thank all our usual experts for adding their comments.

It's a very insterresting thread for our community for sure.

It shows how much we love the Sub :wub: but also that the best sub will probably never exist right out of the box :blink:

I'm sure that most of us, after buying so many different versions, modding them with gen parts, could have afford to buy a brand new genuine one from an AD.

But, that is the fun in this hobby: we will never get bored and still have hope for a next "best" rep version as opposed to simply buying a genuine downtown :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Cheers

Stephane

Stephane -You nailed it!!! Very well put...

Edited by jake48

Thanks for sharing. Excellent post. Now, no offense to the owner nor to the others who have opined, but if I am being honest, then I have to say I can't get too excited about this watch vs. an MBW or even a DRM Mariner... Rehaut still a bit too shallow (albeit not by much - compare below). Bad dial. Bad bezel. Bad bezel insert. CG shape is a little weird - tips too pointy. On the positive side, I think these are the best end links I've seen on a rep bracelet yet. I'm going to have to try tracking down one of these bracelets! Also, while the rehaut is a tad shallow, it isn't blow horn conical like some... This is good. The crystal reveal looks good also. And the acceptance of gen parts is of course a huge plus - if in fact true... But once you get into gen bezels with inserts, your total cost will be well into the $1200 range.

Gen sub rehaut:

capture1.jpg

WM9 sub rehaut:

wm9subz07012wl5.jpg

I am very tempted to go another step and buy a gen crystal on Ebay and there is also a gen complete bezel assembly currently for sale with insert included. A pricy option I guess but tempting!!

I'm just curious, did the WM9 rep crystal measure the 29.5mm like a gen crystal? If it does, that would be a big step in the right direction. Of course, then a gen bezel assembly would have a better chance of fitting.

I'm just curious, did the WM9 rep crystal measure the 29.5mm like a gen crystal? If it does, that would be a big step in the right direction. Of course, then a gen bezel assembly would have a better chance of fitting.

Yes it does measure that so I think it will fit and the bezel construction is near enough too so I may do it at some point in the future. The bezel set has sold on Ebay but I may still buy the gen crystal to see. I can always sell it on again if not.

Great review, Watcher, and thanks for taking one for the team. I just don't think there's a way to make the sub/SD we all dream about w/ a 2836.

I don't know why, but I have a gut feeling that they''re going to make a good 2892 sub pretty soon. Maybe what's holding them back is the availability of the movements, but I bet most of us would be perfectly happy w/ the decent asian "2892" though.

I would like to thank Watcher for going forward in buying that watch and review it for us.

I also would like to thank all our usual experts for adding their comments.

It's a very insterresting thread for our community for sure.

It shows how much we love the Sub :wub: but also that the best sub will probably never exist right out of the box :blink:

I'm sure that most of us, after buying so many different versions, modding them with gen parts, could have afford to buy a brand new genuine one from an AD.

But, that is the fun in this hobby: we will never get bored and still have hope for a next "best" rep version as opposed to simply buying a genuine downtown :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Cheers

Stephane

Very good idea, I quote.

But for a great number of money for me is preferible to buy/modded not a great number of economics Submariner, but a 6265 whit v72, a Daytona whit gen zenith, a Offshore whit piguet second running at 12 ecc..

I have a project, modded a GEN sub/sea plexi last version in red writing/double red.

It is hobby but the final watch modded have a value and a fashination that a watch modded dased on rep TW or WM9 have not.

An inquiry for you: in photo WM9 complexive valutation, for me , is not positive as MBW7MBK These watches in my eye are more nice than WM9. You have some MBW/K, wWhat is your idea ?

Great review, Watcher, and thanks for taking one for the team. I just don't think there's a way to make the sub/SD we all dream about w/ a 2836.

I don't know why, but I have a gut feeling that they''re going to make a good 2892 sub pretty soon. Maybe what's holding them back is the availability of the movements, but I bet most of us would be perfectly happy w/ the decent asian "2892" though.

That's what I'm hoping for. I'm holding off buying for the next six months hoping to see a really well done sub with a 2892 movement.

An inquiry for you: in photo WM9 complexive valutation, for me , is not positive as MBW7MBK These watches in my eye are more nice than WM9. You have some MBW/K, wWhat is your idea ?

Wow, what can I say...

I think I cannot judge with pictures only.

Sure our experts here have eagle eyes, but me not.

So, I usely follow their comment, put them all toghether and then make myself an opinion.

WM9 seems a good version compared to some crappy ones we have around for sure.

Personally I only have true experience with the Noob and the MBW/K.

To summarize, I would not buy WM9 myself because it's not 100% better than my MBW/K according to what experts are saying here.

I recently learned that unless I see a watch in person, I cannot make a "definitive" opinion about it.

It's a matter of feeling in addition of "prefered flaws".

In example, I prefer a perfect dial and insert to a perfect crown or better crown position.

I currently wear an incredible GMTII (that I will review shortly) that has a genuine dial and insert but a rep crown.

I never had such a "genuine feeling" before with any of my watches that are heavily modified though.

Cheers

Stephane

Wow, what can I say...

So, I usely follow their comment, put them all toghether and then make myself an opinion.

To summarize, I would not buy WM9 myself because it's not 100% better than my MBW/K according to what experts are saying here.

I recently learned that unless I see a watch in person, I cannot make a "definitive" opinion about it.

In example, I prefer a perfect dial and insert to a perfect crown or better crown position.

I currently wear an incredible GMTII (that I will review shortly) that has a genuine dial and insert but a rep crown.

I never had such a "genuine feeling" before with any of my watches that are heavily modified though.

Cheers

Stephane

What gmt are u talking about? The retro by Josh?

ok, I dont want to hijack the submariner thread asking you further questions about the gmt.

waiting for your review.

yeah - forget this watchmaker9 thing -

Stephane - tell us more about the GMT !!!

please ;)

Wow, what can I say...

Cheers

Stephane

Thanks for answer. OK.The best judice is the eye judice. And a good rep is only a modded rep. This is an hobby.........

Hello guys,

I think the WM9 is a step forward,but not pefect yet...

As Chieftang stated too pointy guards...and the Rehaut...Bezel Insert Etc...

The Bezel construction is very nice...

There is a lot of work to do on this one.....

When the the pricerange is longer than it's a good base....

After all i love my Frankensub ;)

imgp3388yc8.jpg

imgp3390bn9.jpg

imgp3393tn8.jpg

imgp3391mj7.jpg

imgp3330jm0.jpg

imgp3395vs0.jpg