When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Mobile phones! We all love them.

Everythingape

So here's a chance to tell us all about your must-haves, the mobile phone. :)

The swedes fittingly used to call it "Yuppie-nalle" freely translated: "Yuppie-Teddy"

I tried remembering the models I've had since my first Panasonic G-500 in 1996. I think I got them all, 11 phones in 11 years, some were [censored] and some were very good.

Please find pics of all the phones you can remember you've owned, put them in a folder and take a screenshot of them all like I did. ..or just make a list. :)

These are mine, in chronological order.

myphonesif8.jpg

The worst: The Ericsson GF768

The best: The Nokia 6210, or the W810i I currently use. (Up for change now)

The weirdest: The Alcatel Easy, bought to use for a weekend because the gf768 took a long walk of a short pier..

..It had light so bright we actually used it for crab-raking! (looking for crabs in the surf, using a flashlight and a rake. Good norwegian fun!)

Most expensive: The Nokia 8210.. Set me back around $800 in 1999.

I just purchased a new phone a few days ago, the ATT (HTC) Tilt, also referred to at times as the Kaiser or 8925:

kaiser.png

Initial reviews have been great, but it may take me a while to get used to the form factor, touch screen, and other new bells and whistles, of which there are plenty.

My last cell phone before this was a Motorola MPx 220:

motorola_mpx220-03.jpg

My first - Nokia 7110:

180px-Nokia_7110_open.png

My second - Sony Eriksson t68i:

sony_ericsson_t68i.jpg

My third - Motorola RAZR v3i:

170px-Black-RAZRV3-closed.jpg

My fourth ... I'll show you Nov 9th. ;)

As you can see, my first phone dates back to 1999/2000 (I forget exactly) meaning I don't change phones that often.

Edit: This doesn't include phones work foisted upon me, like a pearl.

My first was the old Motorola flip. I bought it off the back of a truck with a hacked card. Worked for months without a bill. Next I had a Nokia 6120. Great phone. Lost that one and luckily brandsmart gave me a backup. It was a 2 for one sale so I had a replacement already. After I lost the second Nokia, I bought an Ericsson flip. The absolute worst phone I ever had. I bought another nokia after that 7210 or something like that. I dropped that one in the toilet so I bought a samsung slide phone. Still have that one although I don't use it. I then bought a Motorola flip smart phone that crapped out in two weeks. Bought it off the bay so no recourse. I bought the Motorola Razr the week it came out. Paid $500 for that piece of crap. Woldn't hold a charge or get reception for anything. It took a whole painstaking year for me to lose that one which brought me to my newest Samsung slide phone I think its the model D 807. This is really a good phone. The longest battery life I have ever seen. I only charge it once every two or three days and I use a lot of minutes. It is about time for me to buy a new phone as this one is about a year old so I am looking. Hopefully I won't lose this one until I find another I like.

I had a Motorola flip too, as my first real mobile/cell phone. I don't even know what model Merc I drive, so don't ask me for which model. :o

However, that first Motorola flip was awesome. I couldn't get over how light and tiny it was compared to the old brick we had.

motorolazs7.jpg

The '90s were surely the most revolutionary decade in personal technology history since the 1900-1910s when air flight and radio transformed the world. Did we really wait for the postman to bring a letter which took a fortnight from overseas? I used to have a pen pal in the island of R

Back to my laptop. :rolleyes:

It's nice to know that I can browse the forum, view pictures, and even post messages from my cell phone. But this site is too data intensive and complex to browse through comfortably from that form factor, so I probably won't be doing that very often -- perhaps if I am monitoring an auction or sale and know that I won't be near a computer with Internet any time soon.

I need to check out the low-fi version of RWG as well.

Ummm...christ.....I'm such a gadget freak, I can't remeber half of my phones. Got the first one 10-11 years ago and I have this really bad habit of changing phones at least once a year. Just got my new HTC TyTN II (Same as jkerouac) So this would be the list, as far as I can remember:

HTC TyTnII (Current)

HTC TyTn

Imate K-jam

SonyEricsson Z600

SonyEricsson 610

SonyEricsson T68E

Ericsson T39

Nokia 8210

Nokia 7110

Nokia 6110

hmmm...thats about as far back as I remember, but I know there should be more. At least 2 Motorolas, 1 Nokia and my first GSM, that I can't even remember the brand of :rolleyes:;)

I still have most of my phones around somewhere, except the Nokia 3330 which was lost at sea with a cool Budweiser snap-on cover. I was going in after it, but luckily my mates managed to stop me. The Nokia 8210 never came back from repairs.. ..apparently you're not supposed to use a knife on the power button. The gf768 was fished out of the harbour..

I read in the news that the phone manufacturers are collaborating on a charger standard that'll work on most/all brands. That's good news! ..I might have had 11 phones, but I am sure the chargers are bordering on 20.

The reason I've changed phones so often is that they get beaten up pretty bad, and are ready for replacement after a year. And anyway, we get sweet deals on phones if you committ to a service provider for 12 months, paying $20-50 for a new model.

On another note, that crab raking sounds interesting. :D

Ken

Oh it is! You need:

a couple of buckets,

2 rakes,

2 really powerful flashlights that'll last all night,

a lot of beer,

even more mosquito repellant

and some good-grip boots.

The best time to do it is when you know the ebb is coming at 3-4 am. You start at 12, ..after waiting for it for 4 hours with nothing to do but drink and swat bugs. You find a nice barnacle-covered area on the shore, and make your way along it, looking for crabs that come up at night to get an easy snack on said barnacles.

When you see one in the light of the flashlight, you quickly without falling in, grab it with the rake.

Falling in is a major faux pas.. It's frowned upon and you're seen as a lesser man.

When we have enough of the red stuff, we make a fire on the beach, and boil them in seawater in a big old pot. ..served with white bread, lemon and mayo. :)

krabbedo9.jpg

My first - Ericsson 388 (went through about 10 aerials but I remember how unbelievably small it seemed back then :lol:)

post-115-1193053192_thumb.jpg

Since then, I've been a loyal Nokia serial monogamist (story of my life :lol:) and yes, there've been a few...

3210 (wooo! finally, no aerial :D)

post-115-1193048803_thumb.jpg

8810 (looked great, worked only when it felt like it which wasn't often <_< )

post-115-1193048816_thumb.jpg

8850 (great little aluminium phone, still have it)

post-115-1193048831_thumb.jpg

6310i (the monster....best selling Nokia phone EVER :blink: standby battery life of several MONTHS or so it seemed)

post-115-1193049035_thumb.jpg

8310 (cute, unbelivably tiny although a bit effeminate :unsure: my GF had the same only in pink :lol:)

post-115-1193048846_thumb.jpg

8910 (probably a reaction from 8310 - sleek black titanium more masculine phone with cool slidey mechanism - bit too chunky though so didn't last long in use - stored somewhere in mint condition.

post-115-1193048863_thumb.jpg

8800 (current phone has been for over 2 years now and still the favourite of 'em all :wub:)

post-115-1193048903_thumb.jpg

N73 (free upgrade that was technically a step up, remember how amazing it seemed to watch Sky News TV live on it. However, terminally dull handset and relegated to running TomTom satnav only (great for that at least!) due to crappy slooooooww software :thumbdown: )

post-115-1193048931_thumb.jpg

6500 classic (newest arrival via free upgrade - incredibly svelte and tactile business backup to current 8800 and I'm liking what I see so far :thumbsupsmileyanim: )

post-115-1193048964_thumb.jpg

My fourth ... I'll show you Nov 9th. ;)
Dun be a Pug, Pug! :lol:

I mean it, don't do it man. Got to play with the iPhone last week on my travels....EXTREMELY disappointing. Owner confirmed lots of problems with non-functioning browsing features even in wi-fi zone, touch-screen also a bit undersensitive, and he's on his second one already. Oh and it's bigger than I thought (hmm, wonder if Apple got Chabal to be the 'hand model' :brow:) moreso than the iPod touch, almost evil-Blackberry-like in it's square and uncomfortable position in your hand.

LOL thats a pretty pink Mercedes

1.OLD brick Nokia.. dont remember model #

2.Motorola Ultralight flip (first phone with vibrate)

3.motorola star-tac

4.motorola star-tac VIP with the first Lithium Ion battery and the weird piggyback battery

5.Nokia 8200 or something like that.. COLOR SCREEN!!!

6.Nokia 8310

7.Motorola V60 - awesome phone.. beep beep.. beep.. beep custom ringtones!!!! wow!

8.Motorola V70 switchblade flip thing

9.Motorola V600 - First MP3 ringtones. Motorola color screen!!!! (years behind)

10.I-mate SP3i - media phone.. GARBAGE. worn out in 6 months. Wouldnt warr the worn keypad and trackball.

10.Morotola Razr flip.. didnt like it.. its too fat.

11.blackberry something i dont remember older qwerty model

12.blackberry 8700

13.blackberry Curve (current phone)

Theres more phones than that but i dont remember model numbers.. some samsungs and sonys but nothing that really made an impression on me ovbiously.

I hope I remembered all :) :

Panasonic G600

Philips Savy

Nokia 6150

Panasonic GD-90

Sagem ??? (what an horrible device)

Motorola V50

Nokia 8850

Nokia 8310

Nokia 6310i

Nokia 6610

Samsung S100

Panasonic GD-55

Nokia 8910

Nokia 8310 (bought for the second time, because of it's standby time)

Sony Ericsson T610

Nokia 6630

Samsung D500

Nokia 6030

Nokia N80

Samsung E900

Nokia 6300 (current)

I like to change..... Hahaha!! :D

Now I'm waiting for the iPhone, Nokia N95 8GB or the Nokia N81 8GB. Haven't made up my mind yet. And still have some time to think because all of the 3 phones aren't available yet in my country. :(

edit: forgot 2...

Now I'm waiting for the iPhone, Nokia N95 8GB or the Nokia N81 8GB. Haven't made up my mind yet. And still have some time to think because all of the 3 phones aren't available yet in my country. :(

iPhone won't be available in NL for a long time - restricted to UK France Germany only for now.

N95 still runs the slow and buggy S60 Symbian software.....oh and it's still a frickin' brick!!

N81 - don't be fooled, it's an N91 in a different casing ;)

My first was a corded phone mounted in my car (circa 1989)

2nd was Motorola Flip 1st generation

Then went on a series of Nokia phones loving the 8200 series (8210 was the best and still smallest I've had)

Then migrated to a TREO 700

Then BlackBerry land

Now Blackberry 8300 Curve

I remember my fathers first phone was a corded one, with a battery that slotted in the bit it was attached to the size of a brick. My first one, Nokia 636, Nokia 5120, missing a few... had a sagem fliptop until recently when I got a samsung fliptop. One day a blackberry type device. One day...

Anyone seen/used a Motorola F3?

motofone.jpg

Basic, simple, minimalist, but damn it's nice :lol:

Sure, my long-term plan is to replace my V5 Razr with the latest gen Razr in the new year, and, having a camera function, calculator, datebook, and text messages which can have upper and lower case letters is nice, but, for going on vacation, an F3 is plenty good enough to risk immersion in water/getting scuffed up/stolen by local pick-pockets :lol: