When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Genuine Rolex 1680 Submariner Movements

Edge

Indeed, but in this case, the results would be worth it :)

As I've read several times in the gen forums, the value of vintage Rollies is mainly determined by the rarity and condition of the dial. And Randy, that is one minty and rare dial. :thumbsupsmileyanim: In your case, I'd say it was easily worth it. :D

Jet

Unfortunately, it's not a straight installation on the 1665 either. The rehaut needs to be trimmed slightly so that the stem lines up center in the tube.

Sounds pretty straightforward . . . . for someone who knows what they're doing, i.e. not me. I'm in, if it's not too late.

Jet- I wish that my dial were worth the money that a minty genuine 1665 dial would command, but the truth is, it's the MBW dial that originally came with the watch! It is slightly modified however; I had to fix a large scratch on the dial, so there is a coat or two of matte varnish sprayed over the surface :)

Overall, the dials that come on the MBW's are really quite nice!

:thumbsupsmileyanim:

Now I may be wrong, but recall reading a 1575 will drop straight into a 1665 ( :D for me) however the case of the MBW 1680 needs some slight modification before it can undergo cardiac transplantation - I'm sure Randy can clarify exactly...

I may be interested if you can source them within the next month.

I've got 2846's in my 1665, 1680, and also had one in the Tudor Sub I just parted with. They carry the same exact dimensions as an ETA 2836, so they are a direct replacement:

64186-34089.jpg

Only thing is that the ETA datewheels rotate clockwise, so you're stuck with a typical rep overlay for the datewheel.

I haven't had a chance to fit the AS movements yet; both of mine need to be serviced, and I just have not gotten around to doing this. Since The Zigmeister is out for the Summer, I have some time on my hands...

64186-34090.jpg

The Schilds seem to have the same dimensions and stem position as the 2836/46, so I don't suspect there will be any real issues there either. The problem I've observed with the Schilds is obtaining the proper spacing between the dial and movement to allow the datewheel to freely rotate. I have some ideas, but nothing really nailed down as of yet.

Hi Ubi

Wich AS Movement is the right one..

Fits Etahands on it?

RG Tribal

Edited by Tribal

Newbie question here..

How much a lightly Used Sub costs? Is it worth to buy a 800$ movement and a 300$ MBW case and probably a genuine bracelet and put them all together with modifications (as Ubi says)..

It seems a bit crasy to me, but I don;t know many things about Rolex..

Just that on ebay the other day it was sold an Explorer in like new condition (genuine of course) for 1350£ which is cheap if you like Rolex...

Newbie question here..

How much a lightly Used Sub costs? Is it worth to buy a 800$ movement and a 300$ MBW case and probably a genuine bracelet and put them all together with modifications (as Ubi says)..

It seems a bit crasy to me, but I don;t know many things about Rolex..

Just that on ebay the other day it was sold an Explorer in like new condition (genuine of course) for 1350£ which is cheap if you like Rolex...

K,

It kind of depends... A genuine vintage Submariner (1680) can be worth $4000 US to $7500 US, depending on the dial type (white or red font), condition, box and papers, etc. So, the cost to build one can be much less than the cost to buy a genuine, though with a frankenstein the provenance is also an issue (but since we're dealing with reps, it's a non-issue). Personally, I like to build, so the frankenstein is a more interesting route to take, but for overall value and future resale, the genuine is definitely the way to go.

:)

Guest Watchandpen
Edge,

this does change the paradigm, from rep to frankenwatch, however for the many who might,

there is a consideration as to how much work it takes to get the 1570 into a MBW/Watchmaster case?

needless to say regarding Randy and redbigjoe, for them it's as easy as changing socks, but for the rest

how difficult a project would it be.

Chris - count me in at that price. Would you be able to replace the movement for 10 thumbed individuals like me? :thumbsupsmileyanim:

• 1 month later...

Hello guys,

I was wondering what happened to this thread, I am still waiting to hear form edge about the 1575 movements.

I have a Genuine Dial That I would like to use in my 1680, But I am not sure if I want to mutilate the dial by removing the feet to put it on a ETA movement

Ubi, Do think is worth doing that to the dial

Thanks

Ivan

Come to think of it, I could use a 1575 movt to rebuild a 1500 Date. As soon as I get the dial repainted, or get another dial- a Frankenwatch w/ real parts!

But as Ubi says, Edge might be out of pocket for awhile, sure hope he can put his problems behind him and get back here.

Any possibility about a 16610 gen mov. that could fit into a modern MBW(asking for too much?)

3135's come up every now and then, but they are usually quite pricey (over $1k). Plus, there is never any guarantee that the movement will even fit- Typically, when dealing with a 2836 to 3135 retrofit, the stem doesn't center up in the tube.