When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Amateur Rep Mod'ers Top 10 List

predfan2001

This year has really flown by. I can't believe it's nearly 2008. For the New Years, I'd like to give a few tips to the rookie watch mod'ers. I bought my first rep early this year and it didn't take long before I started unscrewing the case backs and pulling them apart. I've learned alot here in RWG and I've learned a few things the hard way. Here is my top 10 suggestions for the new guys. I'll keep them simple but if anybody has any tips to add, please do so! :D

1. The best case back remover/installer is a squished ball of masking tape almost the size of a golf ball. Works like a champ and there is NO damage.

2. If you have a rep that you plan to get wet or wear much, set the crystal with clear epoxy or hypo cement. Many of the vintage crystals are barely pressed in. I've removed a few with only a gentle tap of my finger tip (from the inside).

3. If you pull the hands off, install a stem into the movement while it is still out and make sure the hands a properly indexed (hour hand properly aligned when the minute hand is on 12:00). Check and double check the hand alignment before installing the movement into the case. Also remember to set the date to change properly at midnight. It is recommended that the watch be set to 12:00 when the hands are pulled but I have had better luck with turning the time thru till the date changes and then installing the hands set to 12:00.

4. If you chose to age the dial or markers, thin the paint! If you don't, odds are there will be a gloppy mess. Its better to tint, not paint.

5. Be VERY careful with the keyless works when removing a stem. Use the recommended screwdriver tip fo ETAs. I damaged one using a pick. I learned my lesson but at least it was an asian movement rep I planned on learning with.

6. The best way to install a second hand is the way it is recommended here. Fold over a piece of Scotch tape but leave about 3/8" of the sticky side exposed. Stick the backside of the tip of the second hand there and use the tape to hold the hand steady. Using this method, I can install a second hand in just a few seconds.

7. If you are planning to start doing modifications to reps, buy a few cheapies to practice on first. Take them apart and put them back together. Practice mods and vintaging techniques on them. It doesn't matter if you do something wrong, you'll learn alot. Plus you will have extra parts for future projects.

8. Never get in a hurry. If you get frustrated or nervous, walk away and come back to it later. Even if is days later.

9. Handle dials with care. Especially gloss finish dials. I handled one so much that it became covered in finger prints. When I started to clean it, it started taking the dial lettering off. Some rep dial lettering and markers are very weak and the least rub can take them off. Also use a mask (like paper) under the hands when removing them to prevent damage to the dial face.

10. Study! Do searches here and read all you can. It will save you headaches!

Happy Holidays to all! :rudolph::wheelchair:

David

Edited by predfan2001

8. Never get in a hurry. If you get frustrated or nervous, walk away and come back to it later. Even if is days later.

10. Study! Do searches here and read all you can. It will save you headaches!

David, thanks for posting this, truly.

This is precisely the kind of pro-noobie thread that I dearly wanted to continue, and think it's brilliant for its common sense tips.

Thanks for unlocking some of your knowledge for the noobs. Look forward to seeing what others have to say as well. Merry Christmas!

Thank for the post, it will come in handy for sure as I've FINALLY signed up for the TZ watch school.....so I am knowledge thirsty noob at the moment! And for some time to come....dear God what have I DONE!!!! :sweatdrop:

Rule number 8 will be my mantra....as I am one impatient SOB :wallbash:

Great tips.

I'd modify to the crystal tips to say that glueing and sealing crystals is advisable for any rep that you don't intend to remove the crystal from, whether or not you plan on getting it wet. My asssumption is that there's no way the cases and crystals are made to tight enough specs to assume any water resistance at all, let alone when swapping a crystal from one model of rep to another. Maybe that's overkill, but I've had a couple of gasket-only crystals leak and and no glued and sealed crystals leak w/ the same wearing habits.

Other than the "biggie" mods people do anyway, I think the most important (or even equally important in some cases) are mods that improve fit and finish since that's the most visible difference between rep and gens these days--rebrushing, improving the CG pin finish, and ensuring the lower lip of the crown is flush w/ the case when the lever closed are my top 3 pam mods aside from straps and lume jobs.

Scotch tape? It's better to use the Romy and Michelle method.

Post-its ... they leave no residue and can be repositioned easily.

I never thought about that but I'll stick to the tape. I use it on the back side so if there is any residue, I'd never see it. Besides, as jittery as I am at times a Post its would never hold the hand :lol: .

BTW Thanks Chris(???) for this tip originally posted here Sub mods

Edited by predfan2001

Great post predfan!

We will leave this run a month or so, and if anyone else has some other ideas/thoughts, I'm sure predfan won't worry about thread crapping :p

Will then make it a sticky, or have it as part of a noob intro, which we may develop in the New Year.

Again, top stuff guys.

Offshore

Great post Predfan! :good:

The only thing I would say is that I have never been a fan of the sticky tape method for installing hands. I use a hollow cotton bud cut in half to position the hand and a hand setting tool to press it on, that way there is no chance of marking or damaging the hand. I have seen some people also use a pen with the ink removed as a hand setting tool.

IMG_1623_1.jpg

The only thing I would say is that I have never been a fan of the sticky tape method for installing hands. I use a hollow cotton bud cut in half to position the hand and a hand setting tool to press it on, that way there is no chance of marking or damaging the hand. I have seen some people also use a pen with the ink removed as a hand setting tool.

IMG_1623_1.jpg

Neat tool. I've never had any sort of tool to press hands on so I've had to come up with my own. The first was a smaller ball point pen. I used the front half to press them on. Then I used a couple springbars (20mm and 22mm) that had the tips removed. I chucked them up in a pin vise. Now I just use my fine tip swiss tweezers.

Edited by predfan2001

IMG_1623_1.jpg

Thanks for that,

I've only modded vintage so far and have therefore been quite happy to leave marks etc on hands, so have just pushed down hard with tweezers... it works, but the tool you show above offers a far more elegant solution. I'm going to get one...

b :)