When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How To: A simple & easy pictoral guide to modding your Sub / SD

gioarmani

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
this is a very good and informative write up. However, I do have one suggestion:

When you remove the stem from the movement, you should NOT have it in the setting time position. It should be in the winding position. You will find that alot of the keyless works problems are due to this issue.

Hope that clears it.

Just to confirm this again with you all.

Here's what The Zigmeister has stated as well.

Click here

I'm not trying to power-trip but we all rather do things the correct way, especially considering its in a guide on HOW-TO. We don't want other members making mistakes that don't have to be made. Again, great write up and we all thank you for your time. Please edit that portion as we have too many members having keyless works issue due to not releasing it in the correct position.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
My most recent ones were from a seller on ebay; either jewelryoutlet555, WATCHBANDMAN50 ,or raymondleejeweler.

The pearls are from watchmaterial.com

Hi gioarmani,

I appreciate your very useful advices and I've found some bezel inserts with damn good pearls at following link:

http://stores.ebay.com/Florida-Watch-and-J...7QQftidZ2QQtZkm

Unfortunately the bezel inserts he sales are only for 16800 Sub, not for 16600 (I've bought a brand new SSDv2 from Andrew 2 months ago).

Do you have any more link? Do you know where I can order an aftermarket bezel insert with a pearl as good as your?

Thanks, Ciao

Simone.

Hi gioarmani,

I appreciate your very useful advices and I've found some bezel inserts with damn good pearls at following link:

http://stores.ebay.com/Florida-Watch-and-J...7QQftidZ2QQtZkm

Unfortunately the bezel inserts he sales are only for 16800 Sub, not for 16600 (I've bought a brand new SSDv2 from Andrew 2 months ago).

Do you have any more link? Do you know where I can order an aftermarket bezel insert with a pearl as good as your?

Thanks, Ciao

Simone.

Their customer service turned to [censored] after my recommendation, which is why I pulled it, but my most recent ones are from dealers on eBay by the name of jewelryoutlet555 , raymondleejeweler , and watchbandman50. The later was one of the best aftermarket pieces I've seen in ages. I still recommend the pearls from watchmaterial.com--but their SD inserts themselves suck.

Their customer service turned to [censored] after my recommendation, which is why I pulled it, but my most recent ones are from dealers on eBay by the name of jewelryoutlet555 , raymondleejeweler , and watchbandman50. The later was one of the best aftermarket pieces I've seen in ages. I still recommend the pearls from watchmaterial.com--but their SD inserts themselves suck.

So, If I've understood you well, your recommendation is to order a correct SD inserts from ebay dealers you've listed, the pearl from watchmaterial.com, put it together and then start modding my SD?

Many Thanks!

Ciao.

nice tutorials but I have to disagree on insert shaving. Gen insert fits perfectly without modifying on my SSD.

This tutorial didn't mention gen inserts; only aftermarket. Most people just beginning modding shouldn't waste money on gen parts for fear of destroying them, through lack of experience.

• 3 months later...
Awesome info (thanks!)

How do I go about simply installing a new pearl that I got from watchmaterial? I will use your instructions to sand down my SSD V2's bezel and install the new pearl. Thanks again

Remove the bezel insert by heating/prying and pop out the old pearl from the back using a small jeweler's screwdriver. check size of hole against the watchmaterial pearl. Most likely, you'll need to widen it a bit. To do this, use either a jeweler's file or an exacto knife. Keep checking for a snug fit. Once it's in, add a dab of epoxy or gorilla glue to the back of the pearl to seal it in place.

Also, can you explain the best method for sanding the edges of the oyster bracelet? I have a gen TT daytona, can I assume I can follow the shape of its bracelet to use on my SSD v2? Same to with CG?

You can use use a file or an emery board to smooth out rough edges, but the side of the SSD links are polished, so I would recommend leaving them alone.