When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How to pull off a rep everytime

subzero1

Here's my hard and fast rules for wearing reps, and for pulling it off convincingly.

Avoiding the "Is that real" question

1. People "size you up" when meeting you. The quality of your shoes, wedding band, and glasses (if worn) all should be on par with the quality of your watch. If not, then it's more likely to be suspect.

2. Wear decent clothes, and get sizes that actually fit you - the baggy sloppy look just makes your nice watch look way out of place

Most of the other traditional "rules" of dress don't really apply anymore in today's world, but these 2 tips should hold you in good stead and make the wearing of a $5k or $10k watch a lot more congruent with your overall appearance.

Dealing with the "Is that real" question

1. Decide way in advance, whether you are going to be truthful to this question or not. There is no halfway answer that is convincing and any hemming and hawing will be a dead giveaway.

2. If you decide to be truthful, say something like "Of COURSE this isn't real, there's NO WAY I'd pay $10k for a friggin watch".

3. If you decide to not be truthful, say simply "Of course it's real" and look at them like you are mildly annoyed. No further comment or explanation will be necessary.

Whichever approach you decide is right for you, remember to be firm and decisive and fully committed to it. Any waffling and you're done for. Wear it with confidence.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just hold it up to my ear for a second and then lower my arm and say, yes. I assume they are wondering if it is a real watch or not. This usually makes people laugh and I leave them wondering. If someone asks a stupid question I give them a stupid answer. Otherwise, if you carry it with authority and confidence no one ever asks such a question.

If the person asking you is your good friend or someone close to you then obviously you should tell the truth....otherwise you should lie every time....that is part of the hobby of rep collecting....we dont wear replicas to reveal to people that they are not the real thing....

Here is something that has worked for me....when someone asks me if its real or not I say this...."Ya its real....but im not sure it was worth it because every time someone notices the darn thing they ask me if its real or not!"

They just laugh and thats the end of it....

The other day my boss threw a tricky one at me....he asked...."Where did you get your watch?"...now I was forced to make up a real lie or be ridiculed by my coworkers who were listening....I said "Ben Bridge....put a few grand down and made payments on it"....now all my coworkers think im wearing a gen Rolex sub....

And this is as far as it should go....dont take it to a jewelry store or even worse an AD and try to fool them....it is then that you are approaching a completely different hobby....scammer!!

I have always found that a sharp blow to the sternum is rather convincing when asked, "Is that real".

:lol::lol:

rarely do i engage a conversation with anybody about my watches other than an comment like "that's a big watch!!...." or the LONG stare...........

Let me put things in their real perspetive:

Suppose you wear your real genuine expensive watch (let it be a Rolex submariner as for simplicity shake...) ,

and someone asks you: " is that the real thing? "

how would you prove that it is? Carrying every single day all the official Rolex paperwork and invoices in your pocket?

I suppose no.

So the only answer to: "hey, nice watch, is that real? "

is: "yes, do you really like it? thanks."

-or-

Q.: "hey, nice watch, where did you get it from? "

A.: "oh...at the stores i think..." :wacko:

And IMO dressing or car habits have nothing to do with a friggin watch. I know people who own a gen watch because they love watches and are mediocre dressed or don't really care about the car they drive. Sometimes they don't drive a car at all, or drive the car that the company they work for, offers to 'em as a bonus.

Most of the other traditional "rules" of dress don't really apply anymore in today's world,

Indeed. A few months ago, I was drooling over an Aston AMV8 in a parking lot...owner happened to come over and he was in ratty jeans, tanktop with sleeve tats down both arms...what do I spot on his wrist? An AP ROO Alinghi.

Don't roll up in your Honda Civic, Hyundai Elantra, or Kia Sephia wearing a sub.

If your watch is worth more than your car, you've lost the game...

If your ancient (older, established individuals) like some of the members here...

You can always use the "gift from company for XX years of service" rant... which is then followed up with a "i made the company $x,000,000 and all they gave was this stupid watch" <-- good t-shirt idea...

If your a college student, lets face it, you're broke and or living off mommy and daddy... and MOST college girls don't care nor know anything about watches...

and your friends are probably so high off the weed, that when they ask you about your watch... you can use the whole "DUDE.........................SWEET!" technique and the discussion is over!

I'll be here all week if you have special situations you would like advice on!

PP

Edited by poopypants

Don't roll up in your Honda Civic, Hyundai Elantra, or Kia Sephia wearing a sub.

PP

Of course, driving those may give the game away, but some people like their car, or bought it new 15 years ago, and are modest in what they drive. I remember one retired couple who lived right on the water in Connecticut facing New York, members of the yacht club I was working at. The house would have been worth $5 million, but they were driving a late model generic American sedan. I have a fun, cheapish convertible, and until I can afford the $50-80,000 for the next car, I will keep driving what I have. Doesn't mean I can't necessarily afford the $10,000 watch.

In situations like this it can be useful to answer a question with a question.

"Is that watch real?"

"Are those boobs real?"

Point very well taken. But note, that is mostly true IN AMERICA, Poopypants.

In Europe, Hondas are regarded as great cars, even amongst the elite.

And obviously, they cost twice as much as in the US:

(USED) "Honda CIVIC

Really doesn't take a huge bankroll to have a nice watch. A kid in my office wears a gen Rolex that his parents gave him, and he's rarely got money for lunch. In my travels today I saw a vintage Sea dweller of a little over $1000. Sure, a lot of money, but not that much when you think what a decent Seiko is worth. Lying about a reps authenticity is not the best advice I'd give to any new collector. Its one thing to claim your new UPO is the real deal, but what do you say when you pick up a Hublot a month later, and a Panerai a few weeks after that? I'd much rather be known as a guy that wears nice reps, than the guy that lies. With strangers its always better to turn the question back at them, "What do you think?". At the very least you will have a good conversation about reps or gens!

But the point remains - if your attire (especially shoes and glasses) match your watch, you are much less likely to get asked the question. That was the point of the original post. I know that no one likes to hear that others judge you by what you wear, but they do. And they make assumptions based on those judgments.

but, his weekend car was probably an exotic of some sort which probably couldn't make it over the large speed bumps in the Yacht Club parking lot...

PP

He was in his 70's, very down to earth and the car (think it may have been a taurus or similar) was the only car they had. And the dog had a regular seat in it :o Some flaunted their money (had a former VP of Pepsi as a member and everyone knew it) and some could buy half of France without anyone knowing it...