When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What are the correct crystals for vintage MBW Subs/SD

perry563

I have read conflicting opinions on this question. I have a MBW 1680 and a MBW great white 1665. I am also looking to buy a double red SD (MBW). I have a Clarke superdome on my great white. I have a CLARKE acrylic crystal (forget the type) on my 1680. Can someone tell me and if they can posts pictures of exactly what crystal came with the original gen versions of these watches? I was told by one person that the superdome is completely wrong wlile someone else told me that for a very short time the great white came from the factory with a superdome. What do the experts think?

I have heard from Stephane the the flat T39 is correct for the Great White.

Regarding 1665 only...

What I said is what I heard from a member here @ RWG.

Flat is correct for a Great White.

The member who is advicing me has 100 times more knowledge than me about vintage Rolies (and watches in general probably).

:o

Please look at my signature and follow the Trilogy thread for more details.

;)

My Single red is having a genuine T39 Super Dome (costs a little fortune)

The Double red is carrying a Clark Super Dome (good enough in my opinion and much cheaper than a genuine)

The Great White, received a genuine T39 Flat (affordable and beautifull).

The GW is my favourite as it is the only one that I could afford in real life after saving hard.

The Red ones are just a dream...

Cheers

Stephane

RolexSeaDwellerGreatWhite_PS800_29.jpg

RolexSeaDwellerGreatWhite_PS800_14.jpg

RolexSeaDwellerGreatWhite_PS600_24.jpg

I have a Clarke superdome on my GW 1665 is that a total impossibility in terms of how any GEN looked from the factory?

If I put a T39 flat on a double red SD is that an impossibility based upon how any gen DRSD looked from the factory?

I think what Freddy says is 100% correct.

Great White should be FLAT T39.

I would add that there are NO fixed rules though.

Rolex and watchmakers are probably using stock parts.

What they have handy, they will put.

So, a Great White with a super dome might happen too, if a watchmaker had to replace a crystal and only had a super dome..

Same possible stories with date wheels too, case backs, ...

• 6 months later...
Let me breathe life in this thread with a noob question... how do I replace the glass? is there some tutorial available? will it just pop out or does it have some sort of a trick to it?

First you must pop up the Bezel,

after that there is a retaining Ring that hold the Crystal in place....

Took a small knife or whatever and try to pull the Ring up..

Go around the retaining ring by pulling up...

when the ring comes loose, you can easily take the glass off....

After installing the new glass you must prees the Retaining Ring back in place....

Hope this helps

First you must pop up the Bezel,

after that there is a retaining Ring that hold the Crystal in place....

Took a small knife or whatever and try to pull the Ring up..

Go around the retaining ring by pulling up...

when the ring comes loose, you can easily take the glass off....

After installing the new glass you must prees the Retaining Ring back in place....

Hope this helps

Im sure it will thanks

I got me this baby and might play with the crystals...

http://repgeek.com/showthread.php?t=30771

Edited by Omega Fan

• 2 weeks later...

There is some overlap with the Superdome 39; some of the early production 1665 whites came with the Superdome 39; later models towards the end of the reference (prior to the 16660) came with the 'flat'.

There is also a standard domed 39 which is slotted between the Superdome and flat as well.

1680 comes with a Cyclope 127; there are a few different flavors of these as well. The early iterations came with a 45 degree angle at the top edge of the crystal whereas the later versions had a 90 degree angle with bevel.

FWIW- 5512/5513/5514 came with the T-19, as did Tudor 7928's, 7016, etc. etc.

Tudor 9411's came with the Cyclope 125

Etcetera, etc.

Acrylic crystals press right to the lip of the case via friction; no gaskets, etc. The crystal retaining ring then adds external pressure to the crystal to help seal the case; in some instances, there is an additional rubber gasket that fits under the retaining ring, but this gasket is not applicable to all models (even within the same ref in some cases).

Let me breathe life in this thread with a noob question... how do I replace the glass? is there some tutorial available? will it just pop out or does it have some sort of a trick to it?

Here is a pictorial that illustrates the process of removing your crystal. It may be a helpful visual aid to Tribal's instructions. Crystal replacement

• 2 months later...