When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Lume Shots *Beware* Photo Over-Exposures Lie!

Daytona4me

Ok, I must first point out that this is the 1st dial that I have ever done and anyone who has done this understands that there is a lot of practice involved. You have to develop the correct consistency of lume on the bottom dial in order for it not to be discolored. I have not figured this out yet but I plan to practice many more times before doing any of my watches. I want to learn to do it myself so I can control how good or bad it looks.

But with that said... the purpose of this thread is to teach people how deceiving "Lume Shots" can be if the photo is taken with a really long exposure time. I do not know enough about cameras to give you the exposure specs on each shot... but you should be able to see what I am talking about in the photos below. I also want to add that my dial twisted (I am not gluing it down because I'm still practicing) and it is not the case where I simply forgot to lume certain areas.

What you should be able to spot is the inconsistent depths of the lume when applied to the bottom plate. This is one of the hardest things to master (and I'm only on dial one... :cry: ) lol..

On quick glance the first one does not look that bad... (dont bust my ass over it guys... I'm trying to prove a point).. but as you can see... what looks really bright and semi consistent .. really isnt. So be careful with fly by night modders who have 1 dial experience in luming... stick with the experts...

I hope this helps someone.

Better,

lume1st-try003.jpg

Not so Good,

lume1st-try004.jpg

Reality,

lume1st-try002.jpg

Guest carlsbadrolex

Very nice pics... thanks for the information! I think even the well known lume pro's are guilty of this occasionally. I have seen pics provided to me by someone of my watch before shipment, and then when I received the watch it was rather disappointing.

Good point to raise. I've always thought this to be an issue. To get a real comparison, all the lume shots need to be done with similar lighting (or lack of lighting), MANUAL exposure settings being the same for ALL lume shots, and with the SAME ISO/ASA setting.

Auto exposure will only screw things up.

To make sure there was an improvement with reluming, the modder could for example shoot several reps together. The modded one should glow more than the others.

With lume or whatever else, the one who wants to cheat you will manage it without problem : Photoshop can completely transform your watch, independantly from your camera settings.

At the end, only the reputation of the member can help you. Don't believe all what you see, and of course not all what you're being told.

The other part of that discussion, is the daylight (or lack of) shot.

You can lume a dial with a shovel, take a "glow" shot, and it will look nice. Daylight shows the quality of the work.

Exposure can be your friend for lume shots though, I have brought this up before, here is some further info I had posted along the lines of your discovery a while back.

Lume and exposure time

It can be very deceiving, the simple answer is, if the background is BLACK, your being deceived...if you can see around the watch, it's more like reality.

RG

I think it's the first time I have to make an objection on your opinion The Zigmeister ^_^

Take a lumeshot with a long exposure (15 seconds for instance), open the door or the light for a short time : you have a glowing dial and daylight... (actually that's what I'm doing)

It is very difficult to rely on such shots. Confidence, faith and reputation are the only ways I'm afraid.

Take a lumeshot with a long exposure (15 seconds for instance), open the door or the light for a short time : you have a glowing dial and daylight... (actually that's what I'm doing)

I guess you'll have to trust me that I haven't hacked the movement, or let the watch run down but I think these shots indicate some fantastic lume.

cdwristlume.jpg

cdtableshot.jpg

I think it's the first time I have to make an obkjection on your opinion Ziggy ^_^

It is very difficult to rely on such shots. Condidence, faith and reputation are the only ways I'm afraid.

See, that's where my honest brain comes in...I never would have thought of doing that... I guess some didn't think of it either since their photo's are always black. Now look what you have done, given them idea's... :)

I guess with photoshop, you can do anything anyway.

The only real way to know about a lumed dial, is to have one in your hand to inspect and play with, that way you will know how it looks in person.

RG

Good thread chalk full of info. Indeed EXIF can be removed or changed and shots can be enhanced with or without photoshop. Thankfully we have a lume artist on this very forum whose work is second to none and from whom you know what you're getting each and every time. We are very lucky!

It's a piece of cake to "fake" or exaggerate a lume shot. I once did this photo using 2 layers in Photoshop. Took me about 15 minutes. The lume on the photo isn't fake (it can be faked very easily though) but adding a bit of contrast here and there makes a lot of difference.

4b.jpg

This watch had aftermarket hands and pearl. The default Noobmariner lume on those areas is crap.

DSC00209.jpg

DSC00206.jpg

DSC00205.jpg

or take the shot under UV light, im sure a photo shop wiz could sort the color out again. I bought the UV on sat to make these glow, one point to not is that the fiddy and the sterile sub have lume as good as my seiko war watch! BTW these were again taken with my phone with no chance of over exposing it. Just using the auto setting on a K800I

this is a lume shot i did when i got my fiddy.. no special settings.. prob a 2 sec exposure time, not sure. Just macro mode with no flash on a self timer. The lume on this watch is great but it doesnt last very long at all.

Lume_dim_light.jpg

Mine is from Andrew and fitted with DSN hands and glows all night, it realy is that good, no relume i just got lucky, the hands are a bit brighter than the dial but only a bit. Where is yours from L Dizzle