When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Thick Panerai strap question...

Guest Sql_pl

Guest Sql_pl

I've been a big PAM fan for quite some time during 2004-2005... had some nice pieces... but then other brands started to appear as nice reps and I changed direction. Sold most of my PAMs and decided to stick to only 2 - a 111 and an old cased 196.

I used to wear my PAMs on rubber straps or some DON straps I purchased in the beginning of my PAM frenzy. It means I did not buy a single strap since 2005.

Until like a week ago when I decided to give my PAMs some more wrist time and to get some new stuff for them.

Went with Strap Culture and one of their newest offerings.

Strap arrived today. The quality, the leather, stitching, buckle... everything is awesome. BUT.... this strap is quite thick... and you know what? It feels so damn strange on the wrist.... the buckle area is thicker than the watch that is sitting on the opposite side of the wrist. My 44 mm PAM is dwarfed by that strap! It feels like it is way too small for the strap!

And here is my question - is it normal???? Are you guys wearing such straps now???

Just look at these pics:

pas1gd8.jpg

That buckle/keepers area is just crazy!

pas2we7.jpg

pas3ot6.jpg

pas4hk1.jpg

I can't say it is comfortable plus I feel a bit like an idiot when I have it on... is this normal nowadays????

Hi Sql!

Nice to see you show up again! I miss your pictures!

That watch and strap combo is awesome! I know some PAM freaks here are drooling over them...Is it hard leather? I have one that is kind of

thick, too, but I use a soft calf type leather and it feels very comfortable:

pam036b.jpg

and this how it look's on the wrist:

pam036a.jpg

I have one on a 3646 hommage.

It doesn't bother me. What did bother me was the profile of the buckle as it is way to wide. I chose to machine it down and it now has the angled look of the Pre-V's. Works much better.

Another difference for me is that I only use one keeper, not two.

I actually like mine and think it is quite comfortable. Never noticed any issues with it but then my 3646 has a high domed crystal on it.

The combination of the thick strap, thick keeper, and thick buckle does look like a bit much in that last photo. You might be a little happier with a thinner model from Strap Culture, like mine; the buckle is much thinner. I didn't get a wrist shot of the buckle, but the leather thickness seemed perfect, at least for a 127.

DSC00735.JPGDSC00737.JPG

127E on Strap Culture

@sql_pl

Looks fine to me... then again I love thick straps... :wub: :wub: :wub:

You're right... thick straps does "dwarf" the watch. I have thick straps on my Fiddy... they make the watch look like a 44mm.

Post123456.jpg

17082007016small.jpg

17082007017smallUNDER.jpg

Don't worry about the buckle, you'll get used to it. You might feel like a bit of an idiot but I can assure you, no one will think that you are. :lol:

OMG!

How thick that strap is? 4.3, 4.5mm?!?

It is excessive. And the fact that you feel it uncomfortable is the final evidence.

I cannot see one single reason to wear an uncomfortable strap. Sell it and take a thinner and softer one.

Actually I regard really thick straps as simply a change of pace. The generic strap culture is about as thick as I have worn. It is sort of overly done retro-chic. Mine gets worn on the weekends as it is a fashion statement into itself. I agree it is too thick. If you have the budget, my favorite "thick" strap are the Xamas straps. Not as thick and the leather is fairly soft - too expensive though. What I like about PAM's is that you can don an OEM croc strap for a classier work day look and swap out to a thick strap for the weekends. I also have found the Pre-V Pam straps to be a happy compromise.

Hi M.

well yea i feel you all ... i come from 40 mm subs and oyster bracelets ... i strapped on this frxandy and a SC scull buckle and said woooooa thats huge :)

I felt weird in the beginning wearing it but after a week or so u get used to it ... i wear it strictly with casual or club clothes do never to work ( how could u hide this monster under shirt ). ;)

Still i was amazed how this has grown on me in just one week hehe give it some time and ull see how u feel ...

DSC00484.jpg

DSC00468.jpg

Regards Laz

I have a couple of straps which are btween 4-5mm thick, but, I think the trick is to wear them with standard pre V buckles, as, being thinner and more curved, they draw the eye back to the strap 'quicker' than the chunkier buckles, which can simply 'terminate in a step' down to the strap, which is slightly less easy on the eye.

DSCN3565.jpg

DSCN3566.jpg

DSCN3564.jpg

DSCN3568.jpg

Thick straps are like skinny girls that wear oversized sunglasses. Some people think it's chic or fashionable others think they're just plain goofy. Personally, I don't mind a thick strap for casual wear. But If I had to go for a formal look though, I would definitely switch to something thinner. Like a nice suit, I'd want something that was clean, sleek, and fit well, not some chunky 6mm strap that made me look like I was wearing a freakin' armband.

And here is my question - is it normal???? Are you guys wearing such straps now???

Welcome back, Maciek! Hope Ola is well too. :)

They are normal, and people here and on Risti etc. are wearing them.

I can't say it is comfortable plus I feel a bit like an idiot when I have it on... is this normal nowadays????

As I said above, yes -- normal as in popular, readily seen on Wristchecks, for sure.

But I don't like these GODAWFUL StrapCulture Asian leather straps. The buckle is WAYYYY too chunky, although charming. I love it, even if I know it looks silly.

This is the Giovanni e Figlio La Spezia strap. It is my thickest strap, measuring 5.5mm (it's more, since I measured it for another RWGer, closer to 6mm), and with a buckle to match.

It's a monster, look.

laspeziathicknessjf7.jpg

laspeziabucklezb9.jpg

Thing is, because it's Italian leather, it feels SO GOOD. SO RICH. And it doesn't look as thick as it is, even on my smaller wrists.

laspeziawristieij4.jpg

Lying flat here. That red arrow? Well, I too have the Yaaaaaarrrr! pirate buckle, seen here on a Dino Zei Strapmasters. ;)

strapswoj1by211qy7.jpg

If you want a thick but LIGHT strap, made to order, try Micah Dirksen. His are perfect.

pam112micahlongnc6.jpg

micahbucklesx4.jpg

Everyone has their taste. And I have come to the conclusion that I prefer Pacis and Manifatture Firenze straps the best. The first one is medium thick, but you don't feel it.

The second is almost as thin as OEM straps.

To each their own. :)

First off, how big is your wrist in inches?? That will determine a lot.

Secondly, I love thick straps. The SC one you have would be considered Nicole Richi skinny put up to my straps. I have built ones that are 10mm thick. The ones I wear on average are over 5mm thick. Maybe it's the goofy buckle that is doing it. And it also looks as if you got a size too long for your wrist as the buckle seems to lap over your wrist.

Is it normal to wear such thick straps? Probably not normal to the Panerai community as whole, as the majority of people love the OEM straps and the crap TC sells. So I wouldn't call it normal. But nothing beats personal taste, so wear what you like and don't get into any of the hype!

I've been a big PAM fan for quite some time during 2004-2005... had some nice pieces... but then other brands started to appear as nice reps and I changed direction. Sold most of my PAMs and decided to stick to only 2 - a 111 and an old cased 196.

I used to wear my PAMs on rubber straps or some DON straps I purchased in the beginning of my PAM frenzy. It means I did not buy a single strap since 2005.

Until like a week ago when I decided to give my PAMs some more wrist time and to get some new stuff for them.

Went with Strap Culture and one of their newest offerings.

Strap arrived today. The quality, the leather, stitching, buckle... everything is awesome. BUT.... this strap is quite thick... and you know what? It feels so damn strange on the wrist.... the buckle area is thicker than the watch that is sitting on the opposite side of the wrist. My 44 mm PAM is dwarfed by that strap! It feels like it is way too small for the strap!

Just look at these pics:

pas1gd8.jpg

That buckle/keepers area is just crazy!

pas2we7.jpg

pas3ot6.jpg

pas4hk1.jpg

Personally I LOVE your strap!

Thick straps are like skinny girls that wear oversized sunglasses. Some people think it's chic or fashionable others think they're just plain goofy. Personally, I don't mind a thick strap for casual wear. But If I had to go for a formal look though, I would definitely switch to something thinner. Like a nice suit, I'd want something that was clean, sleek, and fit well, not some chunky 6mm strap that made me look like I was wearing a freakin' armband.

i AGREE. And that's why I prefer 4mm for my straps.