When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

China and animals

Dani

Yes I agree with that. During my first year at Uni, a few of my room mates who were overseas students from China, told me that in parts of China, they do eat the brains of a live monkey, and even described that same method, of cutting a hole in the table, and cutting the top of the monkey's skull and then eating it. However he said that before its eaten, hot/boiling oil is poured into the skull (presumably to cook it). I forgot if he said he had heard of it or he had actually seen it.

However there were some things that he did actually see. He said that they eat chicken's feet, but the way its cooked is very cruel. They heat up a metal plate, and then just place a chicken on it, but in a confined space so it can't fly or jump, so it has to always be stepping/running along the heated plate.

Another dish is a tortoise, which they first make drink wine (rice wine I think) and then boil it alive.

Ahh the Indiana Jones scene :lol: I'm Indian, however I didn't take any offence to it or find it racist. I don't think Spielberg or whoever was responsible intended to represent Indians in a negative way. Indians don't eat those things, the huge majority would be revolted by that (though you get weirdos everywhere and some might eat it :lol:) I think it was just a way to make the 'baddies' seem twisted :lol: I don't think it deserved to be banned (IMO).

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes I agree with that. During my first year at Uni, a few of my room mates who were overseas students from China, told me that in parts of China, they do eat the brains of a live monkey, and even described that same method, of cutting a hole in the table, and cutting the top of the monkey's skull and then eating it. However he said that before its eaten, hot/boiling oil is poured into the skull (presumably to cook it). I forgot if he said he had heard of it or he had actually seen it.

That's the problem with this legend... but also makes it a great one to recount :)

I only knew Taiwanese, Singaporean, Malaysian, Japanese etc at university. Strangely, no Chinese apart from BBC - British Born Chinese :)

However there were some things that he did actually see. He said that they eat chicken's feet, but the way its cooked is very cruel. They heat up a metal plate, and then just place a chicken on it, but in a confined space so it can't fly or jump, so it has to always be stepping/running along the heated plate.

Another dish is a tortoise, which they first make drink wine (rice wine I think) and then boil it alive.

Compare with boiling a lobster alive - seen as normal in the west and america... I saw baby lobster on the menu in Copenhagen when I was there a couple of years ago.

Ahh the Indiana Jones scene :lol: I'm Indian, however I didn't take any offence to it or find it racist. I don't think Spielberg or whoever was responsible intended to represent Indians in a negative way. Indians don't eat those things, the huge majority would be revolted by that (though you get weirdos everywhere and some might eat it :lol:) I think it was just a way to make the 'baddies' seem twisted :lol: I don't think it deserved to be banned (IMO).

Yeah I know you're Indian :) In London too ?

I think you're right about making the bad guys look even more twisted, but they did decide to set it in India with this cult... and you know how many stupid people there are in the world that would believe this is a normal menu of authentic Indian food... I guess all the restaurants have debunked that a long time ago though ;)

Perhaps we should ask some Chinese dealers about the truth of this legend ;)

I'm glad you think that way, though of course you're British, Demon. I frankly think people who ban films/books because they are offensive towards their culture, are absolutely ridiculous, and their attitude redolent of "Tercermundismo".

If Americans had that attitude, Borat would've been banned instead of making hundreds of millions in USA box offices.

Reminds me of when Riotur (the official Rio de Janeiro tourism agency) threatened to sue Matt Groening for his "unfavourable" and "imperialist" portrayal of Brazilians in a Simpsons episode. If memory serves, the Uruguayan government also threatened the same for Homer pronouncing their country, Uruguay, "You're a gay".

Oh brother. God spare us from people with inferiority complexes.

That's the problem with this legend... but also makes it a great one to recount :)

I only knew Taiwanese, Singaporean, Malaysian, Japanese etc at university. Strangely, no Chinese apart from BBC - British Born Chinese :)

:lol: I went to Aston Uni for my first year. LOADS of Chinese students there :)

Compare with boiling a lobster alive - seen as normal in the west and america... I saw baby lobster on the menu in Copenhagen when I was there a couple of years ago.

Now thats pain right there, I think its a particularly cruel way to kill an animal for food.

Yeah I know you're Indian :) In London too ?

I think you're right about making the bad guys look even more twisted, but they did decide to set it in India with this cult... and you know how many stupid people there are in the world that would believe this is a normal menu of authentic Indian food... I guess all the restaurants have debunked that a long time ago though ;)

:lol: Yeah I suppose some people can fall for it and believe just about anything they see in films. Hmm how'd you guess bout me being Indian :lol: Yeah I'm from London, you?

Perhaps we should ask some Chinese dealers about the truth of this legend ;)

I think these recipes are more common in South China, namely the Guangdong province. I know thats where dogs are eaten mostly.

I'm glad you think that way, though of course you're British, Demon. I frankly think people who ban films/books because they are offensive towards their culture, are absolutely ridiculous, and their attitude redolent of "Tercermundismo".

If Americans had that attitude, Borat would've been banned instead of making hundreds of millions in USA box offices.

Reminds me of when Riotur (the official Rio de Janeiro tourism agency) threatened to sue Matt Groening for his "unfavourable" and "imperialist" portrayal of Brazilians in a Simpsons episode. If memory serves, the Uruguayan government also threatened the same for Homer pronouncing their country, Uruguay, "You're a gay".

Oh brother. God spare us from people with inferiority complexes.

Exactly. Why ban things like this, let people make up their own mind to believe it or not. In this case it was just a harmless action film which wasn't supposed to portray a sense of realism, but I still find it amazing just how much the Chinese government ban things in the media. A very controlled country in my opinion.

:lol: I went to Aston Uni for my first year. LOADS of Chinese students there :)

Hmm how'd you guess bout me being Indian :lol: Yeah I'm from London, you?

Yep me too! And couldn't afford to leave for university, or I would have considered places in america :(

Boiling a lobster is pretty gentle (death in 30 seconds or so) compared to the common way for processed lobsters to die--immersion in fresh water which can take 8-12 hours to kill them. Not that my heart bleeds for lobsters, they are basically a big tasty cockroach.

As far as humane slaughter goes, there is a ton of interesting information here regarding Halal and other methods.

Boiling a lobster is pretty gentle (death in 30 seconds or so) compared to the common way for processed lobsters to die--immersion in fresh water which can take 8-12 hours to kill them. Not that my heart bleeds for lobsters, they are basically a big tasty cockroach.

As far as humane slaughter goes, there is a ton of interesting information here regarding Halal and other methods.

http://www.grandin.com/ what a twisted site, but good reading inded and it just confirmed what i now about halal and kosher.

Cheers

http://www.grandin.com/ what a twisted site, but good reading inded and it just confirmed what i now about halal and kosher.

A noted PETA activist Dani. You usually find her on late-night interview shows like Larry King, etc. The name rang a bell, and sure enough, she's also an autism activist (my mother is a child psychiatrist).

She believes that animals should have protections like what is given to humans in the United Nations Declaration of the Rights of Man and citizens...

A noted PETA activist Dani. You usually find her on late-night interview shows like Larry King, etc. The name rang a bell, and sure enough, she's also an autism activist (my mother is a child psychiatrist).

She believes that animals should have protections like what is given to humans in the United Nations Declaration of the Rights of Man and citizens...

Did not seem like a peta activist site..Do it not say she is designing slaughter machines?

Did not seem like a peta activist site..Do it not say she is designing slaughter machines?

Well, I do have to thank you for giving me her name. I'm reading up on her, and yes, she seems to combine her autism with her intrinsic understanding of the suffering of animals.

According to Wiki, they call her the "Woman Who Thinks Like a Cow". Funny, I always thought that was my old Headmistress (thank you thank you, I'm here all week).

Anyway, I'm all for her devising a less stressful environment in abattoirs. On paper, I have nothing against preventing people from bettering the lot of animals. I just don't care for those who connote the suffering of animals as equivalent to the suffering of humans. THAT is a step too far (for me).

Well, I do have to thank you for giving me her name. I'm reading up on her, and yes, she seems to combine her autism with her intrinsic understanding of the suffering of animals.

According to Wiki, they call her the "Woman Who Thinks Like a Cow". Funny, I always thought that was my old Headmistress (thank you thank you, I'm here all week).

Anyway, I'm all for her devising a less stressful environment in abattoirs. On paper, I have nothing against preventing people from bettering the lot of animals. I just don't care for those who connote the suffering of animals as equivalent to the suffering of humans. THAT is a step too far (for me).

Vic you are what i call a pro human, you think humans are better then any other life form period.

I on the other hand can see the faults of humanity and i belive the best life forms are the ones that dont destroy a planet that gives you life..

Think of it mother earth gives us life the reason you can breath now is due to our planet and guess what we have/are destroying our earth and have erased an alarming amount of animals that we will never see again, cutting down forest that gives us air to breath and we call ourself superior beings? :p

Humans do suffer more due to our larger mind frame so i agree on that point.

I do sound like a hippe :lol:

Um Dani humans are better then any other life form period........sorry but thats a fact

Also were I agree man is responsible for the extinction of many in the animal world but we still have a long way to go to match Mother Nature......she wiped out the Dinosaurs.

Ken

I do sound like a hippe :lol:

Like a re-run of the Planet of the Apes, maybe...

Dani, we humans are animals, specifically primates, we just have more highly developed brains. For you to have decided that certain animals deserve protections because they're not a negative life force -- that is, they can't destroy the world because they're not intelligent enough, is reductio ad absurdum.

So then, are plants, amoebas, pandas and fleas.

And I'm sorry, but a panda isn't as important as I am -- they can't gyrate like I can.

I should really leave it at that quip, but keep in mind that only humans can be humane. We are so because we realise the complexity of the world, and its interconnectivity with other creatures.

I doubt the fleas do, Dani. Or, sadly, the doggies.

Doesn't mean we have to torture them, and your original point is well-taken. It's how you arrive at that point that gets convoluted. Well, tata for now. This thread will survive the cockroaches, you'll see.

Um Dani humans are better then any other life form period........sorry but thats a fact

Also were I agree man is responsible for the extinction of many in the animal world but we still have a long way to go to match Mother Nature......she wiped out the Dinosaurs.

Ken

Have did she whipe out them was it not a stone from space? :whistling:

Cretaceous

Steward's inquiry: Don't submarines have to hide from planes?

Only special sub killers and I think they're choppers, lets not forget that subs (especially the Nuclear kind) can and do launch missiles........and the chimp's no help unless he learned how to swim. :D

ken

Only special sub killers and I think they're choppers, lets not forget that subs (especially the Nuclear kind) can and do launch missiles........and the chimp's no help unless he learned how to swim. :D

Okay.....and these are entirely my own thoughts.

I raise you a sub killer chopper and a swimming chimp.

And a frisky panda. :p