When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Planet Ocean - Passed the inspection!

Jagger

Well, if you need to call the police, and you will need to justify and argument with the AD, you are already in trouble. ;)

It would be very easy to justify...

"I took my watch into this shop to have the bracelet adjusted. They started saying it was a fake and won't give it back to me..."

You were the one who said they'd threaten to call the police... All I pointed out, is that they would have no rights to confiscate a watch, and if such a thing happened, the owner should report the AD to the police for theft. At the very least, they would likely give the watch back before the call was made. If the police did turn up, the law would be on the side of the owner, who has had their private property illegally seized ;):lol:

Personnaly, I prefer doing something else in my life than dealing with this kind of situation, like, hunting my next rep ;)

I quite agree :lol:

meh i dont think even such "experts" knows the diff between a gen n rep even if they think they were... e.g. i posted pics of a gen rolex daydate.. and 98% of the member in here said it was a rep.. where in reality it was a gen.. so what does this tell you? YES i dont agree with people showing off at an AD saying OOOOOO LOOK AT ME IM WEARING A ROLEX(OR WATEVER REP U GOT).. but hiding it inside ur pocket n act like ur a scared cat, because some AD people can spot ur rep from 100m away? i mean the only time ive ever gotten called out is the time i passed my noob yachtmaster for my friend to play with it.. most of the time if ur humble about ur watch and act confident with it.. even experts would be fooled.. i mean who can see spot your omega logo isn't correct from 50m away? i know i couldn't unless i have some kind of binoculars

another reason i hate about going into reps and flaunting it as gen is that.. IF you do get caught (ONCE AGAIN NOT IN UR WRIST) but when they open ur watch to find that u have a 21j movement!! is that you're exposing the community to the whole world.. something that i hate.. for some reason i feel special being in this community (kinda like VIP feeling).. so please dont do it..

but please also dont act like a paranoid ppl who think our reps r [censored].. coz to be honest it isnt

Edited by arminvanbuuren

If the AD wants to see my watch I will just reply:

by davebs on Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:14 pm

Oh yeah? Well I know Muai Tai, Brazillian Ju Jitzu, and a little thing I like to call "i nailed your mom". I'm so bad ass, there isn't one little kid in any of my karate classes that even wants to spar with me cause i UNLEASH THE FURY! Yeah I've got a small penis and nobody likes me, but I drive a porsche worth more than your LIFE so f**k you! Like the other day, I was walking down the street and this little old lady told me she liked my watch, so I said, "What f**k you! It's not fake!" So I went into karate mode and SCISSOR KICKED HER IN THE FACE! *WHAM BAM* Then I pulled her up by her hair but her wig came off, turns out she was bald! *GROSS* [censored]ing old people. Then I picked her up by the ears and kneed her in the face muai tai style! *BLADOW* And I was like "That's what you get for walking so slow b**ch! AND THERE'S NO WAY YOU COULD KNOW MY WATCH IS FAKE, CAUSE IT'S NOT, IT'S A MODDED MBW SUPER DUPER ULTIMATE SUB, AND IT'S REAL! REAL I SAY! IT USES THE SAME MOVEMENT MOST REAL WATCHES DO ANYWAY, IT'S SWISS ETA, IT'S A DIVISION OF SWATCH, PLUS I BOUGHT IT FOR A GOOD VALUE, NOT CAUSE I CAN'T AFFORD A REAL ONE CAUSE I SPENT ALL MY MONEY ON KARATE CLASSES, SO f**k YOU! OH, AND I DRIVE A PORSCHE WORTH MORE THAN YOUR GRANDCHILDREN!" *KAZAAM* Yeah, I showed her what's what. That's the last time she'll be calling me out on my watch. But I gtg, I'm late for yoga class WHERE I PICK UP CHICKS LIKE YOUR MOM! AMERICA!!! f**k YEAH!!!

Not sure, but it may not be that cut and dry. I am sure there are intellectual property laws that would pave the way for confiscating your watch. That would likely only apply if you handed the watch over for some sort of service.

AD's have no rights to enforce any laws - they could file a civil lawsuit against you - or call police, if you are violating some criminal law.

Unilaterally, taking your rep is theft.

its also theft if someone unilaterally takes your Pot, and occasionally some idiot calls the police to report pot stolen - no, i'm serious, they do

but please also dont act like a paranoid ppl ....

My point exactly... no-one here is reccomending anyone to take his/her rep into an AD... this simply started with a hypothetical statement from me when I was discussing the high quality of the 4th gen UPO...

And I also agree with most everyone here... most AD's (atleast in the US and downunder) wouldnt be abe to spot a good rep on ur wrist and even if they had their doubts, they would keep it to themselves... they're too busy salivating over the commisions they think they are going to make when you buy a gen from them... not! :p

At the end of the day, just to clear up where i'm coming from.... i'll probably still keep a good rep on my wrist when I goto an AD but I will NEVER take it off and hand it over to them for ANYTHING... even if there is a 5% risk... why risk it??

its also theft if someone unilaterally takes your Pot, and occasionally some idiot calls the police to report pot stolen - no, i'm serious, they do

What if they take your kettle and call it black ?

I certainly wouldnt advocate taking your rep into an AD and flashing it about, but i dont think most ADs are as clever as we give them credit for.

Ok- its not a watch based analogy but here goes-

A while ago i bought a number of ralph lauren polo shirts off the internet. the seller assured me they were real, and i paid about the right money so i assumed they would be. As soon as they came i knew they were fake. I had been wearing the same polos for 10 years and knew that something wasnt right. So i took them into the local ralph lauren store. I told the salesgirl the story and asked if they were real. She had a look and said she didnt know. She called the manager and he studied them. He didnt know. He pulled the genuine article off the shelf and only then did it become obvious. The flaws stood out like a sore thumb, but without the genuine next to it (and a great deal of close inspection), these two professionals that worked with the genuine article everyday didnt have a clue!

I know watches are different but it just goes to show how clueless people can be.

If you are lucky, they will just kick you out of the store with your watch, and you will never be welcome there again, or, they will just keep the watch, and they will tell you, "we keep the watch, or we call the police, decide". Sure you will leave, but you will loose $300-$400.

Not illegal to own reps here in AU either...

Posession of the reps themselves (without intent to supply) is not illegal (certainly not in the UK or US, although I do believe mere ownership of reps is illegal in Italy) In that regard, they are simply a person's personal property, which a store would have no right to confiscate (either if simply seen, or following a service) As always though, it's best not to take reps into ADs in the first place, or keep them under a sleeve if possible.

If you hand over the watch to them for a service or free bracelet resize, you're passing it off as a genuine branded watch and that's when it becomes a trademark infringement as opposed to a replica. All bets are off.

Possessing a replica watch isn't illegal but passing counterfeit goods off as genuine is. Before you decide to battle with ADs over the law, take legal advice from a copyright/trademark lawyer first.

In other words, don't be so stupid as to assume you can hand over your counterfeit watch to an AD without something bad happening.

If you hand over the watch to them for a service or free bracelet resize, you're passing it off as a genuine branded watch and that's when it becomes a trademark infringement as opposed to a replica.

Emphasis is pretty important there. Doesn't change the fact that ADs don't have the power to confiscate someone's personal property.

Possessing a replica watch isn't illegal but passing counterfeit goods off as genuine is. Before you decide to battle with ADs over the law, take legal advice from a copyright/trademark lawyer first.

And they'll say the same thing. An AD won't have the power to confiscate said item, as it is legally owned personal property, regardless of how the owner presents it.

In other words, don't be so stupid as to assume you can hand over your counterfeit watch to an AD without something bad happening.

That's very true. People who do think they can flash reps in ADs deserve whatever ridicule and misfortune comes their way (within legal limits, of course.) for their attention-seeking behaviour.

I can't speak to the legalities of other countries, but in the US owning a replica is not illegal. It is also not illegal to hand a replica to a AD (or other jeweler) to have a bracelet resized, or look at it, or whatever, 'nor does it change anything relative to passing it off as a replica versus a genuine branded watch. No one in any jewelery store/AD has any rights whatsoever to confiscate your watch in the US for any reason. Absolutely none. Nor do the police. There is such a thing as due process here in the States. The burden of proof is on the AD to prove the watch is a replica and in order to do that, you need to start a legal process (and this doesn't start with simply taking someones watch). And at that point, the only time this would apply is if you were attempting to SELL the watch, or trade it, as a genuine. Think about it - what if you bought it as a genuine, thought it was genuine and then found out otherwise when you took it in for a bracelet resize? You will NEED that watch to prove YOUR case against the seller. The AD has no right at ALL to take that watch. Period.

But again, this is in the US.

I agree that it's stupid, in the extreme, to flaunt our reps to AD's. We don't need any more exposure. But at the same time - sheesh folks, relax!