When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Guy agrees to sell me watch, backs out as I'm driving to pick it up

wj94

As referenced in my other post, I was all set to pick up a Gen. Timewalker Chrono this morning at a very good price. The seller and I had communicated through email every step of the way (found his ad on Craigslist) and he agreed to sell me the watch for $xxx. We agreed to meet at the post office at 9 AM today to transfer payment and the watch to each other, and he calls me at 8:45 AM to make sure I'm still coming. I say yes and get on the road. Halfway to the post office, he calls me back and asks to make sure I still want the watch. I say yes and he tells me he just called his friend who works at a "luxury watch dealer" and told him that he was selling too cheap and now he either wants the original amount he was asking or the deal was off. At this point, I'm dumbfound and don't really know what to say. I don't want to pay what he was originally asking, but I do still want the watch and he had agreed to sell it to me at the given price.

So, what should I do?

1. Forget it

2. Threaten to take him to small claims to enforce the contract

3. Raise my offer

Keep in mind that I have all e-mails from him stating that we had a deal and all negotiations were finalized. What do you think?

Maybe I'm just paranoid but I think it's safe to assume all of these shenanigans were planned from the very beginning - get you excited about watch, establish communication, whoops! request more money (with help of bogus telephone story); and since you're already interested and invested in the deal, you should go for it. Don't give him the pleasure.

Go up to him, face to face, "mano a mano", and give him a choice: original deal, or no deal. As soon as he refuses, walk away nice and slowly... he might just change his mind. If not, leave knowing you did not succumb to his trickery.

Protip: meet at a public place.

What was the significance of going to the post office at the same time? The fact you were doing it contemporaneously offered no security other than you were getting a package! God knows what would have been in the package.This sounds like a classic sting by telling you he was told it was too cheap you didn't think for a moment it could be a fake or worse still didn't exist. Better left alone I would think in any event and count yourself lucky the guy got greedy

What was the significance of going to the post office at the same time? The fact you were doing it contemporaneously offered no security other than you were getting a package! God knows what would have been in the package.This sounds like a classic sting by telling you he was told it was too cheap you didn't think for a moment it could be a fake or worse still didn't exist. Better left alone I would think in any event and count yourself lucky the guy got greedy

Maybe I didn't explain that very well. I was going to meet him at the post office and purchase a money order to give him so that I have a receipt of the transaction. He could then cash the money order and be on his way. I wasn't just picking up a package, we were both supposed to meet there. When he called me, he was already at the post office.

You are being milked! The fact that he keeps asking if you still wanted the watch indicates that he is trying to heighten your anticipation of getting it. If he concludes that you are sufficiently excited, he then pulls the price switch thinking that you will complete the deal since it has gone as far as it has. I hope that you declined to pay the higher price. If you did, he probably would cave and sell at the agreed price. Be aware that he could be selling you a rep so it is best to complete the transaction at an AD who is willing to verify the authenticity of the watch. Let us know what happened.

Edited by jdavis

Be aware that he could be selling you a rep so it is best to complete the transaction at an AD who is willing to verify the authenticity of the watch. Let us know what happened.

Detailed pictures could do the job to check if it's a rep or not.

Also an easy way : on the rep, you set the date with the crown, like on any A7750. On the gen it is a recessed pusher which does that as far as I know. Picture of the movement alone would be the best tell, as it's true that the rep is otherwise very very accurate.

Be also aware that the gen costs about 3000 USD. Any offer under 1000 is being suspicious.

Say to him you will not offer him any more. Offer and acceptance has taken place, consideration, and there is an intent to create legal relations. All of the classic contractual elements are there, so technically you do have a case, but it isn't worth it.

Offer him the money you originally agreed to, if he says no, then he'll have to find another buyer.

Agree to his price.

Make the meet

Then **** him over and not turn up

Let him ring of course.....your en route, traffic hold up, blah blah,

spin him as long as humanly possible, offer him a little more money for inconvenience, say youve got a flat tire, drag him across town, be creative !..........Then explain to him how nice it is to be ****** about by a d-ickhead.

Edited by narikaa

Move on. Be grateful that you didn't send him money in advance. It is a little whacked but the amount of money is too small to take him to real court and I suspect that you don't really want to go through the small claims court process. In general I have had more issues with gen purchases from individual sellers than reps. Let's face it, the money is bigger and so are the problems.

Agree to his price.

Make the meet

Then **** him over and not turn up

Let him ring of course.....your en route, traffic hold up, blah blah,

spin him as long as humanly possible, offer him a little more money for inconvenience, say youve got a flat tire, drag him across town, be creative !..........Then explain to him how nice it is to be ****** about by a d-ickhead.

:1a::rolleyes::lol: :lol:

Get over it ... you posted this same thing on RepGeek and the Darkside as well as here ... expecting a better answer ??? Come on you are out nothing but a little time and gas money. Be thankful you were not robbed and beaten and go out and find a new watch.

Get over it ... you posted this same thing on RepGeek and the Darkside as well as here ... expecting a better answer ??? Come on you are out nothing but a little time and gas money. Be thankful you were not robbed and beaten and go out and find a new watch.

My guy tells me I do have a better answer: The guy was in the process of ripping you off and now has cold feet when it's time to do the deed. Go to the PO, call him on his rep, and then warn folks the next time he tries it, which he might. The takeway for RWGers from this is Craig's list is a waste of time: my wife collects jewelry and for every good deal she gets, she has to deal with 10 idiots and 10 scammers.