When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A watch for dad

sulone88

It seems every time I see my father I'm wearing a new watch. He can't understand why I collect watches and why I would want the wieght and size on my wrist all day. He's been wearing a quartz sieko watch since I can remember. He loves cars and just purchased a new Audi A8L. I thought the love for cars and watches go hand and hand. I can't have my father pimping a A8 and rocking a sieko. So I would like to purchase him a nice automatic rep in the 39-41mm range. It would also have to be fairly light (wieght). Any suggestions?

I'm thinking:

- Tag Carrera if he's a little older or dresses more sporty.

- Tag Link (either Chrono or non-Chrono) if he's a little younger, or dresses more business casual.

- Rolex Yachtmaster

- Omega Planet Ocean 42mm black bezel, orange dial

How big / tall is your father?

How old is he?

How does he tend to dress?

What colour is his A8?

My Dad is into cars AND watches. He's been tooling around lately in a A8 W12 and wears a AP. No way I could give him a rep since he wears expensive gens and he'd wonder who I robbed to give him say a PP. :) He also drives a Bentley but it rarely comes out of the garage. He does pick me up from the airport in it when I visit though.

I'd say get your Dad a UPO but they tend to be heavy. I think the TAG Aquaracer would go nice with his Audi.

Audi A8 and a $200 rep???

sorry no way :thumbdown:

Ummm, why not? The OP is buying the watch, not his dad. I don't know about you, but my dad has a lot more money than I do, and I would find it hard to buy a gen to match what my dad drives.

Besides, quite a few guys in this game drive expensive cars and wear reps.

Guest carlsbadrolex
My Dad is into cars AND watches. He's been tooling around lately in a A8 W12 and wears a AP. No way I could give him a rep since he wears expensive gens and he'd wonder who I robbed to give him say a PP. :) He also drives a Bentley but it rarely comes out of the garage. He does pick me up from the airport in it when I visit though.

I'd say get your Dad a UPO but they tend to be heavy. I think the TAG Aquaracer would go nice with his Audi.

Well, well, well... Must be rough being his son!

Just kidding LR, your one of the most generous and giving members of this forum!

When I first got into reps I had the same problem. My decision was to take my dad around town and visit all of the local boutiques, trying on different watches, and deciding on one he really liked. Watches are a very personal item - and you should give him the chance to choose the model he prefers. It will also give you quality time together, and introduce him to a fun hobby in a casual and fun way. I know we really bonded during our experience; finally he decided on a Yacht-Master which was shocking to me since I always thought he liked "Longines" (I was ready to get him a rep Longine - Josh had a nice one back then). Even if he doesn't verbalize which one he likes, you should be able to decipher the moment when the "right one" comes along...

anyway I wish you both the best of luck and happy hunting!

How about an Omega Aqua Terra? I customized one for my dad for his birthday last year. He hasn't worn it once, as the strap I ordered was too short for his wrist :lol:

Anyhoo, what it was:

SS Aqua Terra with black dial.

Hands swapped with hands from Planet Ocean for 1) Improved visibility, and 2) more uniform look to the hands.

Dial lettering removed with tape, so it only had the brand name present.

Bracelet replaced with aftermarket brown calf-skin strap, which was itself modified with the addition of an OEM Omega buckle.

Overall, I thought it was a really nice watch, and, while it was in my posession, actually wore it quite a bit.

Here's a photo of it before I removed the dial printing:

d2581e0f.jpg

I drive an Audi too, an A4 though, and I found a genuine Audi chrono which was a white dialled Audi version of the 1980s Orfina Porsche PVD watch. I have only seen one other example listed with a dealer of collectors watches so it's fairly rare but for an Audi owner / watch nut it's a keeper.