When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Minor maintenance tasks finished - please read

Admin

Well, the maintenance tasks are finished. As a result the rating system is gone. I will give you a very visual example of why it had to go. I loaded up the front page of RWG and did a refresh on it a couple of times. Let me show you some interesting numbers;

Load time of our forum front page before rating system was removed;

U1-1209070723.gif

Load time of our forum front page after the rating system was removed;

U1-1209070760.gif

No further comments should be necessary from me ;)

Also, the Bump-feature was re-added. It had somehow disappeared, but is back for admins, mods and supporters:

U1-1209071118.gif

By hitting that button, you can bump your own topics instead of posting a new meaningless "bump"-post.

I'm devastated - I only used to post so I could get a Gold Star or a Zing from Victoria... :(:cry:

I would gladly trade 8 seconds of page loading time.

It's not page loading time, it's page generation time. That's a real killer as it means TCP sockets are open for 9 seconds and Apache threads are open for 9 seconds. Given enough traffic, that's death for a server.

:notworthy: thank you .. thank you .. thank you..

for the last several weeks i had been getting error messages while on the board.. and my screen kept freezing.. just here.. it seems that that has been "fixed" .. much smoother now..faster..

thanks Admin.. :1a:

:notworthy: thank you .. thank you .. thank you..

for the last several weeks i had been getting error messages while on the board.. and my screen kept freezing.. just here.. it seems that that has been "fixed" .. much smoother now..faster..

thanks Admin.. :1a:

That's because you're so far away lani. Ya'll got internet out there on the island? :) Goldstar for you my friend!

That's because you're so far away lani. Ya'll got internet out there on the island? :) Goldstar for you my friend!

Well,.. LR... until recently we depended on the passing ships for any news of the outside world :rolleyes: .. actually It's you peeps that are far away :huh: .. is that a double negative :bangin: ... and a ZING for you man..!!!

I'm devastated - I only used to post so I could get a Gold Star or a Zing from Victoria... :(:cry:

I agree...I relied on Lady V to determine if I was a Gold Star or Funny.

But...in the name of keeping performance sound and thus, costs down for the gang that is doing this as a service to all of us...do what you have to do.

Victoria is going to be absolutely devastated :-)

I enjoyed the rating system myself but, if it makes the forum run smoother, I think its removable is a respectable choice. I think it might just contribute to increasing sociability between members, since now to agree with someone you're actually going to have to undergo the effort of writing a message instead of just clicking a button.

Victoria is going to be absolutely devastated :-)

I enjoyed the rating system myself.

Good idea ;)

And I'm an American living in Texas that aspires to move to Canada and become Canadian eh :p

Edited by Chronus