When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

So there I was in New Jersey

Nanuq

I found myself in a high-end watch shop on my last business trip. They had sparkly Rolexes, Omegas, Corums (Corii?), you name it. I was admiring a certain gold Bucherer chrono on a delectable leather strap. It was reasonably priced (cough cough) at $22,000. The salesman asked if I had a stylistic preference, while easing me over toward the cheap end of the counter. Perhaps due to my jeans, sneakers, and polar fleece windbreaker?

I described my affection for dive watches, specifically round faced watches with black dials and, ideally, stainless steel construction. His nose wrinkled slightly, as if I'd released a foul stench into the room.

He told me with evident disdain that his shop did not service that segment of the watch industry. I glanced over at the Rolex counter, but sadly, saw only a sea of jewel-encrusted dress watches. He did, to his credit, offer me a Bucherer brochure to take with me as I left (hint, hint).

So I reached for it, and my sleeve slipped up a few inches. A certain chocolate dialed watch peeked out and the man was on it like flies on a dead salmon. He grabbed my wrist and turned the watch toward him, and his mouth fell open. Oh I love it when that happens. Another Mk-II Sea Dweller fan made, on the spot! :tu:

It was a good trip.

chocolate.jpg

It's pretty rare. Notwithstanding the numbers of old SDs that flooded and died, very few of them went "chocolate" from their exposure to UV light. This one's from 1971 so it's getting pretty old. I have heard of Subs going chocolate with age too... probably it's from a flaw in the manufacturing process but I kinda like it. :tu:

He grabbed my wrist and turned the watch toward him, and his mouth fell open. Oh I love it when that happens. Another Mk-II Sea Dweller fan made, on the spot! :tu:

Love those stories, Nanuq. It is experiences like yours that make these watches so valuable.

Due to its plain-jane mien, I often receive similar reactions with this. The initial (understandably) dismissive attitude when asked for the time, followed by that unmistakable deer-in-the-headlights double-take never fails to inspire

pp510720261.jpg

Later that week I was in Tourneau's looking at watches and the saleslady there knew her stuff. She oooooh'd and ahhhh'd over the SD (or was it my manly wrists?) and came *that* close to selling me an IWC minute repeater chrono... it was a lovely titanium thing but I think I've got enough watches.

For now. ;)

Happy Birthday Nanuq- what are you now? Three?

Like you say, the chocolate dials were seen on the 1665 and 1680- can't recall seeing them on the 5513. Exposure to UV and maybe the type of paint formula used. Kinda like the early Explorrer II dial that turned cream color- something in the paint. Of course Rolex would change out the dial if you didn't stop them!

Ah, the Bond beside it is my trusty old 6536. THAT one has seen some tough duty. It was "born" the same month and year as me, so it's 50 today.

Sorry that you had to go to New Jersey from Alaska on your birthday.

As my sons say, it's the only state where you are required to pay to leave.

Kind of like, "why does divorce cost so much?".

Because it's worth every penny.

Carl

Ah, thank you gents... it was a GREAT birthday!

I got my beloved vintage Guild's frets replaced (finally)

I got to have lunch with my son the Eagle Scout

My daughter gave me an iPhone

IT SNOWED THREE FEET TODAY!!!!!!!!! :tu:

It just doesn't get any better than that!

Ah, thank you gents... it was a GREAT birthday!

I got my beloved vintage Guild's frets replaced (finally)

I got to have lunch with my son the Eagle Scout

My daughter gave me an iPhone

IT SNOWED THREE FEET TODAY!!!!!!!!! :tu:

It just doesn't get any better than that!

That's good for a birthday, or any other day.

I got to spend Sat. with my Eagle Scout and my soon-to-be Eagle in Monterey:

GG.jpg

A couple of clowns, but good guys.