When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

For All You Ultimate Fiddy Owners - Be Happy

Watchmeister

Thought you might find this interesting - a brief comparison of dials. And no, I do not want this showing up on a gen forum. What I have learned from this exercise is that depending on the angle and lighting each dial can look very different and more or less similar to one another. And no cracks about the photography.

The Gen:

IMGP1886.jpg

In case you are wondering what a sandwich dial looks like on a $25,000 watch:

IMGP1867.jpg

The Comparisons to a Davidsen dial:

IMGP1847.jpg

IMGP1846.jpg

IMGP1879.jpg

IMGP1881.jpg

And finally a couple of group shots including the two dials plus one of the old school EL 4rth generations:

IMGP1864.jpg

IMGP1872.jpg

It's all in the number tails and funky cut-outs boys. But our reps are damn good. This dial will be off to the Master for a relume shortly.

Awesome catch Kruzer. I was always under the impression that EL's early dials were the best. Davidsen's looks pretty good in a side by side. Are you going to put this dial on that 4th Gen EL? If you could source a cheap E series movement and somehow change the number 117 on the case your watch couldn't be told from real.

I'm almost afraid to ask.....

But....How can you be absolutely CERTAIN this IS in fact a genuine dial...???

It seems, at best, somewhat implausible that someone would "part out" a $25,000.00+ watch!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

And knowing about the vagaries of Ebay sellers..... ^_^ ^_^

hello,

amazing catch, but it seems that the dial is not in very good condition. maybe it was replaced. it would be interesting to know which serial the pam127, from which the dial was taken had, cause i know that there are 3 versions of the gen pam127 dial. they differ in color of the printing and in the cutting of the markers...

FrankT-

You can never know 100% that something is genuine. I am fairly confident for a number of reasons. I own gens, frankens and other original dials so I am fairly aware of what a gen PAM dial looks like and its construction (both the top and underlying sandwich). Also this particular dial is substantially heavier than either of the EL or Davidsen dial and the vagaries of the number cut-outs are not even close to reproduced in the rep dials. This is not something you can see in my picttures but when you overlay them you do see the subtle differences. Finally, several other members agree as they have gone out and bought all but one of his others. :lol:

Olreon-

You are absolutely right. The dial is from a watch that had its dial replaced. And that is the beauty of it. I am very aware of the different generations of the Fiddy dial and this one is either first or second generation. I am 99% sure it is first generation. As you mentioned you can tell from the Panerai font color and thickness and more importantly the differences in the dial number cutouts. I was also told that the color of the under dial is a good clue as I believe they refined it after the first generation. Supposedly the first generation which had a more primitive top coat on the underdial. Your AD would call it vintage color and we would call it early modern Rustoleum. Fortunately the top dial is in perfect shape other than dirt and grease which cleans right off. The bottom dial will require a relume but at least I have the original color for Ziggy to match up.

MilSub-

You are right that no one needs a gen dial. But I really wanted one and yes the price was surprisingly good. :lol:

Finally, I have to say that both Davidsen's and the fourth generation are excellent copies. At least relative to this particular dial I am partial to the EL as the font is just too gray on the Davidsen but everything else is basically the same. And Davidsen's comes with superlume while the original EL did not.

Awesome Kruz, you are always the early bird on these amazing finds! I kept my EL 127 too, fully modded by Rob on a oem black calf strap. We really do have the best watch enthusiasts on this forum, more so than on the gen forums. :victory: