When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Why are sales threads deleted?

Hi there,

I bought a watch off of a member about a week ago, and I went to review the sales thread, and it has been deleted. This seems like a very bad thing to do, in case there is any dispute between what was promised in the sales thread and what is actually delivered. Now it seems if I receive my watch from this member and it's not what was advertised at all, then I have no way to prove it.

Is this normal?

Hi there,

I bought a watch off of a member about a week ago, and I went to review the sales thread, and it has been deleted. This seems like a very bad thing to do, in case there is any dispute between what was promised in the sales thread and what is actually delivered. Now it seems if I receive my watch from this member and it's not what was advertised at all, then I have no way to prove it.

Is this normal?

I noted that myself, so I will be interested to see the response. My guess was that the seller deleted the post himself. But, I really have no idea. I think the points you make are well taken.

I noted that myself, so I will be interested to see the response. My guess was that the seller deleted the post himself. But, I really have no idea. I think the points you make are well taken.

Being both a seller and a buyer in the last week, I witness the same thing and I know I didn't delete my post. cdv, if you want pictures of the St-Exupery, I can send them to you. This is what happened when I bought namor's pam 192, the post was deleted within 20 minutes, so I didn't have time to save the pictures. I sent him a pm and he generously sent me the full size pictures by email.

But as to why it's deleted, I have no idea except maybe to free some place.

My guess was that the seller deleted the post himself.... I think the points you make are well taken.

I don't think sellers can delete entire threads. I've never had to dispute a buy on RWG (RWI and Geek are different matters, sadly) but I bet there has to be an archive somewhere.

If you're worried about the people you're dealing with, why not take a screen cap or make a PDF of the sales threads?

Being both a seller and a buyer in the last week, I witness the same thing and I know I didn't delete my post. cdv, if you want pictures of the St-Exupery, I can send them to you. This is what happened when I bought namor's pam 192, the post was deleted within 20 minutes, so I didn't have time to save the pictures. I sent him a pm and he generously sent me the full size pictures by email.

But as to why it's deleted, I have no idea except maybe to free some place.

deleted to hide the record of an illegal transaction

Yes, the sales threads are deleted when the seller requests the mods to do so. I too personally feel that this isn't a a good practice, but I do understand why it is done.

I didn't request the mods to delete my sale thread. I believe once it's tagged "sold", it gets automatically deleted.

The Admin team is way ahead of you on this one guys.

Trust us.

Ken

I believe what Ken is saying here is there is a hidden code in each sales thread, unique to that sale, which will know the precise moment somebody will buy the article, so it is like a self-destruct system on a timer. As soon as the time it knows the sale was predetermined to happen, it releases the 'delete this thread' line of code, and viola! Gone. Stealth. Another reason to stay here at RWG ;)

I believe what Ken is saying here is there is a hidden code in each sales thread, unique to that sale, which will know the precise moment somebody will buy the article, so it is like a self-destruct system on a timer. As soon as the time it knows the sale was predetermined to happen, it releases the 'delete this thread' line of code, and viola! Gone. Stealth. Another reason to stay here at RWG ;)

Hmm.. I read his post as meaning that they have some kind of backup of the sales threads in case there is a problem.

From what I recall...sales threads are not deleted...they are made invisible so as to keep the sales items current and relevent. I'm sure even if the threads ARE deleted...the mods have backups of them. The standard procedure on most boards (that I'm familiar with) is to make such posts invisible. If you need to access the post, you can usually PM a mod who will make the post "visible" again.

Please correct me if I'm wrong....

Wrong, I NEVER delete my ads, as I want to stay clear in case of problem. And the explanation of hidden thread is IMO the one and only.

BTW, if by chance it concerns the B&R I sold you, what did you want to check, maybe I can help ? ;)

FYI, your watch will reach you if not today, within 48 hours. 7-10 days is a usual transit time between E.U. and the East-Coast.

Wrong, I NEVER delete my ads, as I want to stay clear in case of problem. And the explanation of hidden thread is IMO the one and only.

BTW, if by chance it concerns the B&R I sold you, what did you want to check, maybe I can help ? ;)

FYI, your watch will reach you if not today, within 48 hours. 7-10 days is a usual transit time between E.U. and the East-Coast.

Hi Pix,

I was looking for the B&R thread, but only because I wanted to drool over the watch for a bit :) I was just bored at home and was looking for it and was curious why all the for-sale threads get deleted upon completion, but now I understand why, and makes sense.

In no way did I question or doubt anything about our transaction, you have a stellar reputation and I have no doubt I will be happy!

RH101

Hi Pix,

I was looking for the B&R thread, but only because I wanted to drool over the watch for a bit :) I was just bored at home and was looking for it and was curious why all the for-sale threads get deleted upon completion, but now I understand why, and makes sense.

In no way did I question or doubt anything about our transaction, you have a stellar reputation and I have no doubt I will be happy!

RH101

Thx for your comments :)

Be sure that if for any reason something goes wrong, you will be 100% refunded ;)

But I'm pretty sure you'll like it.

For the pics, actually you can have a look at them in the link in my signature (the one mentionning the Gasgasbone's strap).

For reference, this B&R takes one minute a day and has no lume on its hands. Other than that, it just looks very good and has no physical flaw ! :D

Keep in touch...

I've just learnt something today : indeed, next sale will be saved as a .pdf and sent to the buyer, it's a key to a flawless transaction : compare what you got and what you bought. Makes sense.

it releases the 'delete this thread' line of code, and viola! Gone.

Viola?

What a stunning cameo in the World Cup final in 1994, and indeed he was gone after that, never to be heard of again.

Peeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee...