When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

We REALLY need your help

Admin

I agree it's just the way of the world that a few passionate, practical and blessed to have the means benefactors do the most to keep the lights on. My experience being a trustee of my church is very much the same...lots of talk about what needs to be done...fundraising...silence from a majority...giving from the usual suspects...rescue from a significant benefactor.

I agree that contribution to the board is way more than financial. There are members here who contribute services that are way beyond the time I can devote to the community. We all do what we can. It's easier for me to write a check than it is for some but I can't possibly invest the time and effort it takes to add to the incredible reviews and photography donated by some of the members here. Those contributions are the life's blood of the information we provide...it's the reason this board has value. At this time...paying bills is the most pressing issue so the bean counters and contributers have to take center stage in this but in no way should we look down on those who might be hesitant to dig into their pockets now because they have maxed out their hours contributing their precious and valuable time.

To the guys and gals who come here to take info and notes, stroke their egos by pontificating and posturing and then dissappear...I think some soul searching at this time would be a good thing to do.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The more exclusive the more desirable. Limit membership and then you will see a great clamoring to have access to RWG. Why do we pay and DESIRE those expensive replicas and gens? All top brands have an exclusivity about them.

That said we do not need snob appeal, but we do need some sort of payment and reward system. If you can afford

to own a computer and pay a monthly online access fee, it is only fair to share the load $$$$$$. Those who see the value will contribute. And there are always special exceptions which can be handled by admin on an individual basis.

Bailout drives can be eliminated. Admin please look over these many good suggestions and make changes.

If you can afford to own a computer and pay a monthly online access fee, it is only fair to share the load $$$$$$. Those who see the value will contribute.

I'm glad to see a new member already contributing to the forum and see the benefits. Thnx!

I hope this will inspire other people as well....

"we will loose big chunk of the members to other boards ."

What would we be loosing ? What are they contributing anyway ?

How long before those "other boards" become bogged down with dead wood and excess traffic/bandwidth ?

I will answer that myself by saying, The minority here are making this whole RWG possible by supporting the board financially/reviews/donations,etc.

How can we be loosing anything , we can only gain by them going.

No posts, no donations, they are simply freeloaders

feeding off the providors.

The free lunches are over.

Secure RWG now, and keep the content top quality.

I agree 100%.....who needs the hit and run traffic anyway.

This board and it's members have been extremely helpful to me. I would support any decision Admins enact to keep it going!!

Umm..... BTW does anyone know where I can find the best Sub?

I have never felt more embarrassed at not being a supporter than today.

:-(

Don't be Corgi.......Who is twisting your arm not to become one :)

@ Kruzer...in my humble opinion EVERYBODY in this hobby can afford a small yearly fee of around US 50-60 , I really cannot believe the amount is holding people back.

The majority here are just consuming and not willing to contribute so I agree with Rodwc on this, it won't be a big loss to loose the people who post one a year and are not willing to pay the price

BTW, if you want to encourage supporters, only allow access to the "Member Rep Sales" section to paid supporters. Decrease the yearly amount to a nominal figure, say $30, and watch the numbers rise. In my experience, a good portion of our members are here solely to troll for cheap purchases. IMO that would be the real plumb!

I agree very much with this proposal, it could really increase the supporters' basis!

There is no reason to feel embarrassed Corgi. I know that you contribute in more valuable ways, simply by being here frequently and keeping the conversations going. More important and much more time consuming than any cash donation could ever be. Keep up the good work mate!

I have no problem If guys just can't afford to contribute. I'm in the same boat. My watch collection is not substantial, and new acquisitions are infrequent. Its guys that are constantly buying new stuff who are not supporters that bother me a bit. But they may have there reasons as well.

I really cannot believe that people have problems for 5 USD a month ... not people interested in this game. Moreover being an important contributor to the forums like Corgi or yourself does not exclude supporting the movement. I understood that there are some difficulties and did my job for a place I love. Not every member is such an expert to have the possibility to make high level contribution here, Andrew.

The great majority of mankind has an insatiable appetite for free lunch/free ride, so I am pretty pessimistic about

significant increase our paying base from the 4% level. But I feel great respect for the spirit, style, and information richness

of this forum (have to admit, mostly brought by supporting subset of the forum population), so I am glad to add a small

donation, and apparently do not mind to help the forum in the future if the help is needed.

Just my 2 cents.

I really cannot believe that people have problems for 5 USD a month ... not people interested in this game. Moreover being an important contributor to the forums like Corgi or yourself does not exclude supporting the movement. I understood that there are some difficulties and did my job for a place I love. Not every member is such an expert to have the possibility to make high level contribution here, Andrew.

As I've said many times before, I could not commit to a monthly donation, no matter what the size. I chose to make my donation to the community by writing reviews, guides, etc. I can guarantee you that I have put far more than $60 in man hours into doing write-ups this year alone!

I can tell you that the extra effort that I have pit in to my reviews has encouraged other members to up the quality of their reviews as well. Guys like Lani and Seadweller are writing quality stuff now, and I'm amazed at the amount of effort that they are putting in to these things. I am also quite sure that at some point these guys have read one of my pieces and have been motivated to push the envelope. I'm proud of my contributions, and I am proud of theirs!

It takes many things to run a forum. You can have all the paying sponsors you want, but you need people to contribute content on a regular basis or you have nothing. My cash contribution is on the way as well, as I know these are hard times, but I have no interest in changing my status. Charity should be a private thing. You give what you can afford, whether it be $100 or nothing at all. One's dedication to the community should not be judged by the size of his wallet.

A few days, I have the admin sent a pm with

"Hey guys,

I have a question for you: is it possible to upgrade my account via PayPal? I have no possibility for credit card or Moneybookers...)

I am member here not for a long time yet and I am no salesman, but i want to support the community, cause i think it deserves it, cause I already read alot of useful stuff here and I want to learn some new facts in the future!

Hope you can help me out!"

I got no reply :cc_confused:

whatever

donation made

@ Admin pls PM me for Upgrade my Account via Pay Pal if you want

regards AmStaFF

Although we have 12,000 members, and only 4% supporters, how many of those members are active? It seems like we have around 1,000 members here each day - so I guess my query would be do we have 8,000 members that were one time only, who has the best sub members, got their watch, and left? And so we would have only a couple of thousand semi-regulars? I now from my perspective, although I am a supporter here, that is because this was the first board I found, and as such have made it my home as far as where to spend my forum time - that I am logged in pretty much every day it was only natural to become a supporter. But I have not donated on the other boards, mainly due to having this one as my base; I will have a look every now and then at the others, but more just to check to see if there has been anything happen that has not been covered here - such as the whole TWP fiasco - there was a lot over at the geeks, but nothing here really. I may have visited RWI 3 times in the last month. In any case, there may be reasons like that for a lot of people to not support the site, they are just occassional users or hardly ever visit. Of course it is frustrating to see on the list of members who have visited on any given day only a quarter of the names are in yellow.

Kruzer is 1000% right saying that 20% of a population is paying for the entire country.

Admin is right too about keeping RWG open for non paying members as among new comers some may become the new Pug or Bt or SD4 or ...

Ok, for the very first time I have the impression something positive is going to happen. :p

A lot of ideas and suggestions have been done and I have 0 doubt about the fact that Admin and his team are discussing these suggestions deeper.

The main points are:

1) Make RWH viable on a long term.

2) Avoid that Admin has to go on his knees to beg for 5$ every month. That is a shame. :yuk:

I'm sure we'll make it. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

As I've said many times before, I could not commit to a monthly donation, no matter what the size. I chose to make my donation to the community by writing reviews, guides, etc. I can guarantee you that I have put far more than $60 in man hours into doing write-ups this year alone!

I can tell you that the extra effort that I have pit in to my reviews has encouraged other members to up the quality of their reviews as well. Guys like Lani and Seadweller are writing quality stuff now, and I'm amazed at the amount of effort that they are putting in to these things. I am also quite sure that at some point these guys have read one of my pieces and have been motivated to push the envelope. I'm proud of my contributions, and I am proud of theirs!

It takes many things to run a forum. You can have all the paying sponsors you want, but you need people to contribute content on a regular basis or you have nothing. My cash contribution is on the way as well, as I know these are hard times, but I have no interest in changing my status. Charity should be a private thing. You give what you can afford, whether it be $100 or nothing at all. One's dedication to the community should not be judged by the size of his wallet.

Well said Drew !! .. I had you in mind as the very one that puts so much man hours into this community !!.. often people don't realize how many hours it takes of prep just to post a simple plain write up.. and I have been called "kamakaze" for wanting to post new pieces.. whateva.. they can wait for the ceramic.. I definately don't need to kiss up to the powers that be .. like some.. actions speak louder than words..

there are those who have the feminine trrait of jealousy and wanting more recognition!!.. let them have it.. kudo's whateva... let them have it..

We just keep doing what we do and I believe this community will stand tall..

there will alway's be those who comment for self gain and glory.. let them try and spend the better part of the day going to the AD.. a couple hours of pics and taking more pics... researching the genuine... putting it all down so members can have a better reference for their decisions..and then having the nay sayers talk about "my collector can beat up your collector" attitude.. "sheesh".. and crap on your thread

And I'm not talking about the magazine quality 'sponsored" reviews.. if I had the time believe me I would put it all into something that I cherish..

sorry just venting toward members that are here for recognition and "vain glory".. and take "cheap shots" on the board.. pretending to compliment..no need to name names.. it's obvious !!

Sorry just venting a little..

bottom line the members who come here to find a deal should drop a small amount to log on for a week or a month..

Let me just throw this out in to the discussion: Should we start compiling a list of 300+ members who are willing to donate to the forum on a monthly basis ($5 a month supporter memberships)? That way, we would have everything covered each month. If we get more supporters than that, I could get myself a couple of beers ;)

I'm in for that.

But I want a free beer at the next CTG :lol:

And be called Mr Pix...

And be loved...

:lol:

andreww Posted Today, 08:01 AM

Thanks Lan, that means a lot

And Well Deserved I might Add..

just gets me that grown men ... cannot stand up and call me out.. gotta resort to femine cat like way's .. oh well.. sorry there i go again

Pix Posted Today, 07:50 AM

And be called Mr Pix...

And be loved

OK Mr. Pix.... with all the exelellent images and such that you put up .. it well should be "Mr."

In the end I guess nothing can be forced.. we will do what we do .. and band together again if need be... and again.. and again.. :lol: