When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Look and weep!

offshore

Hmmmm <_<

I dunno Alan. Even through my bleary-eyed mist this Saturday morning, my spidey senses are screaming "franken" - MBW case and a very familiar-looking NDT dial - I"m sure Freddy our resident NDT dial man can confirm this at a mere glance, the thin 6 and 9 indices.

Odd though as the seller is reputable but still that's no guarantee these days.

Caseback is strange though - not as 'stamped' as I've seen most gens (in the flesh as well as pics), but clearly much better than standard rep. Weird etched look to it.

Suspect also that there is no movement shot either - odd seeing as his 1655 Explorer has one, he's clearly not deficient in the caseback removal tool area.

Interesting too he's started this one at a relatively 'low' franken price of 10,000 kangaroo dollars, when the 1655 has a market value Buy Now price. Says to me this is a bit of a 'list and hope'. If it were 'kosher' this would go for around A$50k. I was telling Nanuq only the other day about another MkII like his I handled the other week at a vintage dealer -

IMHO it's franken. The case is wrong, the crown is wrong, the insert and bezel are wrong, and it should have a folded oyster for that vintage. And the caseback is wrong too. The dial is nice but... Is that supposed to be a MkII? If so where's the thin crown? Thin 6 and 9 indices... Nice, but... not "gen".

Just my $.02

If this is a FRANKEN...it needs to be stopped.

Bidder 2 AU $10,100.00 31-May-08 08:34:06 AEST

Bidder 1 AU $10,000.00 31-May-08 05:31:14 AEST

Bidder 2 AU $10,000.00 31-May-08 08:33:57 AEST

Bidder 2 AU $6,500.00 31-May-08 08:33:48 AEST

Bidder 3 AU $6,000.00 31-May-08 03:54:56 AEST

Bidder 2 AU $5,200.00 31-May-08 01:40:59 AEST

Bidder 1 AU $5,000.00 30-May-08 22:59:01 AEST

The crown is definitely wrong... it's way too fat for this model. The insert & pearl look like good old MBW to me. On top of that the cg's are non-symmetric. The upper cg has been filed thinner than the bottom one.

1.jpg

IMHO it's franken. The case is wrong, the crown is wrong, the insert and bezel are wrong, and it should have a folded oyster for that vintage. And the caseback is wrong too. The dial is nice but... Is that supposed to be a MkII? If so where's the thin crown? Thin 6 and 9 indices... Nice, but... not "gen".

Just my $.02

I think we're all agreed on this - always good to have a consensus.

Since someone is going to get burned, I've reported it.

Well, as he stated in the description watch is fake:

Quote:

-------------------------------------

Model Name:

Double Red Seadweller

Ref: 1665/ 3522174

Condition: Great Condition

Case: SS Great condition Redone

Movement: Cal 1570 100% Original (Good condition)

Dial: Black dial with creamish patina Redone

Bracelet/Strap: Original bracelet oyster 93150 (great condition)

Crystal : Acrylic (Superb condition)

Box / Papers: no

------------------------------------

end quote

The only part he claims original is the bracelet and the movment!!!

I am completely with Nanuq on this 1.

The case is Vietnamese, the crown (yes, too wide), bezel & insert are wrong (poor aftermarket). However, the dial almost fooled me, because it is the same 1 I have for my next DRSD franken (the slightly too-narrow 6 & 9 index markers are the give-away)

ziggifieddial0041.jpg

But I think I like their lume better (they relumed it to match the Mark I on doubleredseadweller, which I would like to do as well).

I am completely with Nanuq on this 1.

The case is Vietnamese, the crown (yes, too wide), bezel & insert are wrong (poor aftermarket). However, the dial almost fooled me, because it is the same 1 I have for my next DRSD franken (the slightly too-narrow 6 & 9 index markers are the give-away)

ziggifieddial0041.jpg

But I think I like their lume better (they relumed it to match the Mark I on doubleredseadweller, which I would like to do as well).

All I can say is - in awe of you guys knowledge!

J