When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Watches, what they say about you..Or those You just don't understand..

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well we all know what the drill is on opinions.

Everybody's got one...nobody needs yours.

That being said, I have to agree on most of what you said.

But, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I wear probably one of the most understated watches ever made. One that most people would NEVER notice...the PP Nautilus. Yet, the MBK is a rep of a 20,000.00 gen.

At a party I was at last evening, I spotted at least a half a dozen Sport rolli models, SS and gold, and a mis-mash of everything else from Breitling to Omega. Most men my age can afford whatever watch they want.

Taste is the determining factor on what these men wear. Clearly I am the only one one with any taste in the bunch.

NO ONE has ever mentioned my Nautilus. To me, most people could care less which watch another person wears. Only WIS's like ourselves. Any of these guys could afford a Big Bang or a PP, but most could care less.

Wear what makes you feel good.

To each his own.

When I 1st got into watches (in a serious way) some 25 years ago, I went through the gliz stage, thinking that if you are going to wear a special watch, people ought to SEE that it is special. However, being in an area with alot of 'old money', I frequently noticed that the types of people I aspired to be tended to be much more understated in their choice of wristwatch, and jewelry in general. And, like they say, with age comes wisdom. Eventually, I came around, trimming my permanent collection of all the trendy/flashy pieces & trading most of my yellow gold watches for all steel versions & have never looked back.

My daily watch is an IWC inenieur (non chrono) much like the nautius it is very understated. I doubt most people that I run into have even heard of IWC. I also have an smp bond that i use for trips to the lake and a two tone BCE that i occasionally wear on special occasions or when i feel the need to be a little more noticed. whether or not it actually works as intended i am not sure but it does seem to catch th eye a little more then my others.

I too avoid Roleyxs because I feel the same way, they are so repped and common now that its like timex. I am pleased to know that i am the only one that thinks the crowns on the graham diver as ridiculous. Regardless of my feelings i still plan to purchse/make a skeleton watch with a beautifully decorated movement and caseback window.

I love classic sports Rolexes: Sub, GMT, Dweller and ExpII.

I really like wearing my white ExpII, because most people won't recognize it as a Rolex at all. And with white dial it's very, very understated watch. It won't get noticed at all, which I like. I'd say the white Daytona is very similar watch in this regard.

I wear the watches only for my own enjoyment. I don't really care how other people "see" them (or me, when I'm wearing them). I just wear what I enjoy the most.

PS: I 100% agree with the diamond thing. I like almost all kinds of watches, but diamonds are very bad taste (on a man's watch). Silver dial Rolex Serti Sub isn't too bad though. I wouldn't wear it, but it's the only "diamond watch" that I find rather nice looking.

HPIM0187X.jpg

I have found that since my time here and other watch forums, my taste has considerably changed.

I used to be very much a Breitling fan, no other watch would do for me. The style was so unique, and the heritage ad link to aviation further kindled the bond I developed with the brand.

However, I now really like Omega, perhaps partly due to the Bond link, and being someone who would love to live such an exciting lifestyle (I don't think Im the only one that has at some point really wanted to be the real James Bond.....I hope haha)

I am still very much into my steel diving watches, and share a very similar taste as By-tor. However, I have watches such as Breguet, Blancpain and IWC (which I would have termed.....erm....diplomatically - a sophisticated persons watch) have really grown on me, and I would now much rather take a Portuguese over a Navitimer (I know Andreww, I am moving to the dark side haha)

As for seeing peoples watches out and about and judging their character based upon these material objects, to a certain extent one can assume certain things, but I would never form an opinion on someone based upon material things, although to a certain extent this perceptual filtering always occurs, sometimes unintentionally.

PS: I 100% agree with the diamond thing. I like almost all kinds of watches, but diamonds are very bad taste (on a man's watch). Silver dial Rolex Serti Sub isn't too bad though. I wouldn't wear it, but it's the only "diamond watch" that I find rather nice looking.

HPIM0187X.jpg

I don't mind a few diamonds as markers on a dial.. but any on the case & bezel,.. can't stand it...

Also gents,. I know most of us don't care what others think,.. I'm mostly just curious as to your decision making

process when you reject or select a particular type of watch...because those thoughts also come into play when

you see those watches on the wrists of others, even in the wrist check threads... am I wrong ?

I think the mightiest watch brand is Breguet. Yes, over Patek Philippe. It's Napoleon's watch brand after all... maybe the first wrist watch ever produced... amazing history.

Breguet is the "ultimate" for me... but I would never buy a watch that expensive... and owning a Breguet rep... hmm, that's just overboard for me. But do I love the full gold Type XX... :wub:

I drive rather fancy company car, but income wise I'm still just an average guy. Stainless Rolex, Omega, Breitling and TAG are for the average guys. Yeah, they're unimaginative choices, but I simply love the simple rugged sports watch looks.

PS: Zenith is another brand that I love... but not the new ones. Way too complicated design. But give me a Flyback Rainbow Chrono or ANY of the classic El Primeros and we're talking.

@Richard: I choose watches based on my size and clothing style. I'm 6'3 and 275 pound ex-powerlifter. Not bragging about it, but I'm rather big boy. So do you think a Constellation or gold Datejust would look good on this frame and with these clothes (this is my usual wardrobe style). :D Of course I have to "dress up" occasionally, and SMP and SMP chrono do look good with a suit (although some say you shouldn't wear sports watches with a suit). But Bond does, so why can't I? :D

The idea is to buy watches that suit you well, imho.

wrist1.jpg

Well now that you mention it, and without any fear ,

I have never ever understood just WHAT any person, shape form or belief,

can see in Panerai, the real thing or otherwise.

They do absolutely nothing for me.

Also fully agree with the thoughts on diamonds, simply don`t like, aspire to them, wan`t them in any shape or form.

Something with an artificial inflated price kept high on the worlds market by an old school company De-Beers.

People berate rep watches , I berate and loathe diamonds. ( and Panerai ).

;)

Also fully agree with the thoughts on diamonds, simply don`t like, aspire to them, wan`t them in any shape or form.

Something with an artificial inflated price kept high on the worlds market by an old school company De-Beers.

;)

There you go,.. good to see someone else step up...

I don't mean this thread to put anyone down.. but I would like to see some serious discussion and

defense of your choices... Just this once...

None of this, 'To each his own'.. Not today at least,.. haven't any one of you wanted a chance to

tell how you feel about certain watches ?

Why you enjoy them when many do not,.. or what about a certain style or brand turns you off ?

How about this,... I think FM or Cartier are really feminine brands.. am I alone ?

I'm also getting tired of the Large Numbers dial markers at 12 3 6 and 9,.. too many are starting to look alike...

Do you disagree ? Fine let's hear it....

The World According to Nanuq:

Panerai suck, in singular AND in plural. :yucky: It's not that I don't "get" them it's just... how many iterations of the SAME THING can a company make anyway?

All gold watches are hideous. :shock: Except my grandparents' gold key-wound pocket watches!

Anything with diamonds or jewels or false "blingy" reflective surfaces :2: or doo-dads that exist solely for impressing other people should be run over. :bicycle:

Any watch that cannot survive regular HARD use, or that demands being taken off for the most rudimentary activities (like hockey) should be nailed to a tree. :hammer:

Any watch that shouts LOOK AT ME should be skipped far out into an ocean. :boat:

Watches that catch my eye are old, round, steel, functional, easy to wear, and WORK. I don't mean they simply operate... any watch can do that. I mean WORK. Earn their keep. Pay for their own servicing every few years. Be a watch that I don't have to stop and think about before I live my life. :crazy:

I couldn't care less if anyone else likes my watches. I hope they think of them as fakes, and have a good laugh. Then they can join me for a beer and we'll talk about something else that matters... watches are fun, intricate mechanisms but they aren't what *matters* in life. :group:

I'd agree that Muller is feminine, but Cartier is more metrosexual than truly feminine. I like the Santos and the Roadster, they have style.

I like both gold and bling in some instances. If I'm going clubbing or bar hopping in a hip/trendy part of town, I have no problem putting one of these on:

Wristshots150.jpg

Wristshots128.jpg

Wristshots103.jpg

Kira404.jpg

Wristshots044.jpg

Wristshots031-1.jpg

wristies002.jpg

If you are going to wear dressy/trendy/flashy clothes, might as well have a watch to match.

On the other hand, if I'm going out to a nice restaurant, or a cigar bar, or if I'm traveling on business, I'd go with more toned down style watches like:

018.jpg

IMG_2278.jpg

Wristshots153.jpg

Wristshots048-1.jpg

Wristshots021-1.jpg

Wristshots022-1.jpg

Casual, jeans or shorts and a t-shirt might find me wearing these:

Wristshots030.jpg

Wristshots028.jpg

Kira400.jpg

Wristshots021.jpg

Wristshots069-1.jpg

Wristshots073-1.jpg

100_1538.jpg

Wristshots079-1.jpg

But then other times I want something kinda crazy, so I pick one of these:

Wristshots126.jpg

Wristshots078.jpg

New040.jpg

So, you see, a single watch does not define me. I think different watches express different things, and even crazy looking watches have their place. Even bling and gold can work very well, especially if the drinks are flowing, the music is loud, and you are in the midst of lots of young, beautiful people. Context man, it's all about context.

Panerai suck, in singular AND in plural. :yucky: It's not that I don't "get" them it's just... how many iterations of the SAME THING can a company make anyway?

Any watch that cannot survive regular HARD use, or that demands being taken off for the most rudimentary activities (like hockey) should be nailed to a tree. :hammer:

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

A long winded bloggy post again, sorry, but good support why never to drink and drive if evidenced by my wandering typing.

Interesting taste thread that you started here Richard, seeing as my next planned purchase is an all black watch, not necessarily PVD coated but all black down to the metal bracelet. It has touched a nerve in my watch collective brain. I have more in common with subzero1 (except for the young and beautiful people comment as I can only reminisce) as to me the watch is more of a useful accessory for the certain situation than a complete obsession to the latest greatest fashion. Everyone's tastes are different and so the choices offered by watch manufacturers reflect that, a watch for every age, persuasion, situation, and taste. One person's abomination is another person's holy grail.

Taste in watches are no different than any other item you care to delve into; whether it be cars, wine, women, song and food. It will all change with age and income. I'm older in physical age (61) than almost all members here, but obviously not in maturity according to my wife. But I can attest that just getting really interested in watches late in life over the last four year has taken me on a maturing journey of tastes that has spanned from going youngster gimmick, to young man sports, to mature elegant dress and every irreverant fad type style in between. Eventually I had to stop and appreciate the real genuine watches that I was purchasing all these replica "homage" watches for. Thus it has resulted in paring down all the watches to just a half dozen genuines that I honed my tastes on over 4 solid years of rep. collecting.

What has surprised me is what I thought I would never be drawn to in certain watch styles has changed quickly over time as I learn more about horology and history, wore reps of watches I though I admired, held them in my hands at ADs. Also surprised at what turned me off on some watches because of the complete lack of historical chops of makers charging ridiculous prices for new fad designs, Hublot comes to the forefront as I lost all respect for the brand, not for the design, but for what it has come to represent for me, a blatant ripoff of the public. I'm glad to say that their clout with the genuine collectors has been greatly diminished by all the cheap watchmakers making copycat designs. Seems every Tom, Richard, and Harry has a clock out that looks surprisingly like the HBB. But, as an oxymoron, a rose gold HBB happens to be the only rep. I own at the moment. I can wear gold, I'm old, look the part, what more can I say.

Although Rolex has suffered the same fate as HBB is going through, Rolex has been around for so long that they can weather the Invicta/Timex type copiers. So we all dislike certain brands for different things, as Nanug of the North so stated about Panerai, except Rolex has more of the same thing models than I think Panerai. Its funny Nanug, Rolex was the "look at me" watch until just recently. One of the best Panerai I saw on a business associate's wrist was fully beaten up over the last four years as his daily beater, it looked great aged-in-place.

I'm currently open to pretty much all designs, including bling watches (although I'd have to think twice about how many diamonds I could stand.) I like By-Tor's choice with just diamond markers. I'm into understated elegance in my watches right now, but as I age even more and get more curmudgeon I won't care what you and the other young punks think or for that matter, I won't think at all. I'll move on in time with my arthritic wrist decorated with age inappropriate demi-size white ceramic Chanel or 60 mm pocket watches with wrist straps that offset ever dimnishing eyesight, although for By-Tor's frame I wouldn't argue with that size. Then again, maybe trade it all in for one elegant breguet/patek to be buried with.

I pick something up from all the opinions, take or leave what I want and refine my personal taste even further. So what's so bad about the Graham crono fighter anyway or the Russian diver it mimics? If you drink beer, the crown is an instant handy bottle opener.

And to that end, to each his own.

When it comes to matters of personal taste, there can be no argument. Ones taste in anything does not define them as a person in the least, and however bad you might find someone elses taste to be, it is best to just shut the hell right up and respect that persons right to express themselves as they see fit. Anything less than that is small minded and petty, and most times the person attacking anothers

sense of self expression most likely has major issues about themselves and their own fragile insecurities.

NO ONE has ever mentioned my Nautilus. To me, most people could care less which watch another person wears.

I have to agree, my favorite watch is my Nautilus 5711G, and nobody ever notices it, one woman thought it was an Accutron.

Still, I think it's a fantastically beautiful watch, even as a rep.

My grandfather had one thing to say about watches -

"Patek means old money, Cartier means new money, Rolex means your plumbing supply business is doing well and Omega means your grandma is really happy you finally graduated liberal arts college"

I have to agree, my favorite watch is my Nautilus 5711G, and nobody ever notices it, one woman thought it was an Accutron.

Still, I think it's a fantastically beautiful watch, even as a rep.

"Patek means old money, Cartier means new money, Rolex means your plumbing supply business is doing well and Omega means your grandma is really happy you finally graduated liberal arts college"

That's so true. People don't give a second glance to any Patek sports watch unless they are familiar with the brand very well or are WIS.

If you think getting noticed in a Nautilus is hard, try an Aquanaut! Nobody cares! But put on even a inaccurate Rolex submariner two-tone rep and every third person stares.

This is awesome.

I would make a crack at Hublot, but why shouldn't they take an off-the-shelf movement, build a $600 watch around it, and then charge rich a-holes a fortune for the privelege of wearing it? It's basically what most of the other guys do, just because they never sold tool watches to GIs they can't milk the upper crust?

The HBB is a cool looking watch, when you take away some of the cluttered textures (smooth dial and strap), but it's about as classy as a G-Shock and no where near as practical.

All gold watches are hideous. :shock: Except my grandparents' gold key-wound pocket watches!

Anything with diamonds or jewels or false "blingy" reflective surfaces :2: or doo-dads that exist solely for impressing other people should be run over. :bicycle:

Any watch that shouts LOOK AT ME should be skipped far out into an ocean. :boat:

Hilarious !!! :1a:

Also some thoughtful commentary from Omni and agree with much of what you said.

Now in my 50's I seem to be going towards the old standard classics that defy trends.

I also agree Subzero that the one Cartier which breaks the ranks is the Santos...

Two tone watches are to me not bad,.. though though I don't own any, do find myself

drawn to some like that Breit you own...

Full on Gold however is too much, especially on a fake... which makes it double fake..

Am I the only one to dislike the color of pink gold, and see it as a gimmick to replace copper with gold, save the watchmaker

money while charging the same price as the good stuff ?

Any opinions on Alain Silberstein ? :whistling:

-I hate that the simple, classic submariner (and Rolex tool watches in general) walk in

the door 2 minutes behind their reputation, and more then half of the people that own them don't "get it".

-I hate that once my co-workers found out I was into watches, I am "Rolex" motivated,

and post pictures of rolexs at my desk. Not any other brand, but Rolex.

Look at my arm damn you! Up until last week I only had one Rolex!

- I hate that I spent the last 10 years pining for a TAG, and now that I have one its not good enough,

because I've become pretentious. I hate that anyone that knows anything about watches "thinks my plumbing supply business is doing well"

because I wear a TAG and not a PP. Which leads me to my next point-

- I think PP Nautilus looks like a 1983 Sony Trinitron with bad reception. Its ugly as sin, thats why no one noticing them.

At a party I was at last evening, I spotted at least a half a dozen Sport rolli models, and Breitling to Omega.

Clearly I am the only one one with any taste in the bunch.

:lol: Clearly.

Panerai suck. how many iterations of the SAME THING can a company make anyway?

I don't like much more then the simple luminor marina. Simplicity is what made Panerai.

How about this,... I think FM or Cartier are really feminine brands.. am I alone?

Nope.

Lastly:

- I find watches that beep hysterical! Watching someone push plastic buttons and hearing beeps from the watch cracks me up to no end!

- I agree about the precious stones and yellow gold. Give me stainless, or maybe treat me to titanium.

- I hate trying to explain to people why I want a rep divers watch to be waterproof when 99.9% of the

watch is exact! Should it not serve its sole purpose aside from telling time? This from people that have fit genuine

bands, dials, cases, crowns, and glass into a fake case and movement, yet the watch leaks like a siv.

- Trim your arm hair back guys. Put the small guard on your beard trimmers and give it a try.

If you don't like it, it grows back in a week or two. Nothing looks more gaudy then jewlery/watches nestled in tufts of thick hair.

Doesn't this look a little better?

DSC02421.jpg

- And I hate that I've always worn my watch on my right hand, and I burned the hell out of it. -_-

;)

I can only speak for myself, but personally, my appreciation for Panerai is something which has developed solely as a result of my exposure to these forums.

I've always liked 'divers watches', and always insisted on having a waterproof watch. As I've gotten older, my eyesight has not improved with age, and, from relatives, know that the future does not look bright. While I'm not planning on going blind before shuffling off this mortal coil, bottle-thick lenses in my glasses would not surprize me :D Therefore, the most important thing for me with a watch, is it must be easy to read, at a glance, and in conditions ranging from daylight, to darkened room, to at night. For me, that requires luminous hands, and large markers. Panerai watches provide that :) Large enough that I can easily read the time, and (for the most part) versatile enough that I can match it to my wardrobe :)

I do agree with you here to a degree. Yes, PAMs are very similar in terms of appearance, so I agree there, but, on the flipside of that point, some of the variations, provide features which can be usefull to different people or in different circumstances. For example, the 112h is a really nice watch, but, if someone needs to know precicely what the time is (minutes and seconds) or what the date is, it would be as usefull as a chocolate teapot ;)

Yup, I'd agree with that :D

I'd agree with that too :D I admit, I do have a watch specifically for rough work/hard use, but, that's only because I want to keep the others looking nice (not pristine, that has no character, but not utterly beaten up...) That said, if it came down to it, I would expect my 'daily beaters' to be able to withstand hard use without failing mechanically, I would just prefer not to get them banged up :D

- Trim your arm hair back guys. Put the small guard on your beard trimmers and give it a try.

If you don't like it, it grows back in a week or two. Nothing looks more gaudy then jewlery/watches nestled in tufts of thick hair.

Absolutely. Nothing disgusts me more than unkempt body hair :bad::yuk::bad:

Guy's expect women to shave themselves, it's only reasonable to take similar pride in one's own appearance :good: