When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How can I pull off wearing a High End Timepiece ?

lanikai

These questions have been asked and answered before.. but we have a flood of New Members recently .. some have been in the game before.. some are brand new.. unmodded .. so to speak ... so I am posting these repetitive threads in the hopes that the new members will not feel left out of the ball game

there is more info on shipping and customs that I would like to post.. and I believe that the Admin team out of legal reasons that could be construed as this forum condoning certain things .... cannot pin any info regarding these issues..

anyway .. we need patience ... and time to educate the newer members, some may feel selfconcious as to wearing these high end replicated timepieces.. I know I was at first.. almost made me not order certain models.. .... we should not chim in with "this has been talked about" or "do a search" I know the vets will understand.... it's time for the elders of this forum to bring in a new generation of members .. to carry on .... on the best Forum on the Net .

thank you in Advance

I'm sure you have heard Newcomers to this Hobby ask time and time again ..... How can I; or should I "pull of wearing a highend timepiece?????"

IMO .. weather genuine or replication.. shrug it off like "it ain't no big thing" .. because it really isn't .. genuine or rep. .. it's still a time piece !!

take compliments as a matter of factly.. just a simple thanks will suffice ... no need for overkill .. or to stick your wrist out like your holding a pot of boiling oil ;)

Wear your Replica like it is a genuine.. in other words .. like sport teams that find themselves in their first Championship Series..."Act like you belong"

because you do !!! Wear that expensive Sub like it belongs on your wrist and it's not a 'Big Deal" ... be mindful not to posture the "look"

Unless of course unless it's a 50,000 tourbi .... then ... your either really rich or really ecentric .... :D

And dont be shocked when you go weeks or months without anyone even noticing, unless you live in a few major metropolitan areas most people will not even know your watch is highend and the few that do even less will care...

I have never had anyone ask if a watch was real unless it was a rolex and even then I can count on one hand the number of times and it was all very close friends. Never had anyone out right try to call me out.

No one cares whats on your wrist. I'd love to see a poll of the % of general public that care about watches. 2% maybe?

Chances of people noticing are so slim.. Maybe a "nice Rolex!" from the stranger next to you at the elbow-to-elbow sushi bar. Then, If you guys start chatting, you then might get asked the innevitable "is it real".

I was sitting across from a co-worker today having lunch (i'm wearing the gen TAG today) and he asked "what happened to the crystal on your watch, its missing!" I showed him it was still there, and that the blue finish called AR makes it disappear. :lol:

Thats the first time in a while anyone that didn't know I was into watches commented on my watch. The people that do know however, always have something to say. :wacko:

I believe Lanikai is exactly right, if you are uncomfortable with the quality, or percieved status of your timepiece it is you that attract the attention, not it. If complimented, take it casually in good standing, do not rush to 'explain' yourself.

Very few people will even notice it, let alone know what it actually is, (or is not)

From a purely personal point of view, I have never worn or owned a Rolex, rep or gen. For all the regularly quoted reasons, people seem to expect a rolex to be a rep, whether or not it be real, an excellent rep or a dire cheap copy. there is an inflated value attached to it to the uninformed that breeds doubts of authenticity, even though most would still not have a clue why.

I have what I consider to be quality reps, SMP Chrono, TAG Aquaracer, BCE, SOSF, et al, I am by no means wealthy, but am relatively comfortable, but can categorically state that I have never yet met anyone arrogant, or rude enough to question the pedigree of my timepieces, my point being gentlemen, wear them well, and with confidence, and you should never have to be embarrassed,... after all you already know more than most people you will meet!

regards, Dale

Edited by dcam207

Before I started getting involved in replicas I knew of only one luxury watch brand - Rolex, of course. Actually I couldn't tell apart one type from another, I just knew Rolex = most expensive watch in the world.

Then, through a very slow but rewarding journey, I discovered the true brands of horological mastery.

You have to understand that most "common people" are just like I used to be - absolutely clueless. This is why sometimes I laugh when somebody pays $500 to put a genuine crown in their $200 rep. The chances you run into someone who would be interested enough in your watch to go to such extremes in getting a close up look and being able to verify its authenticity with a 2-3 second sweep of the eyes is simply preposterous. If, indeed, you want to make your watch look believable, I think good posture, clean well-fitting clothing (not necessarily a suit either), dominant voice all go a long way!

I'm still really new to the rep community and currently own a couple reps with another currently on the way. I'm also fairly young (in my 20s) and I just wear my reps like I would wear any other watch, whether it is my Citizen Eco-drive or a my rep IWC FA Jones. These days, the rep that gets the most wrist time is the PAM111h and I would say 99% of the people don't care or even know that what a high end watch is and don't even get a second glance. The only high end brands they know are the Rolex, Tag's , etc. The only two people who have ever complimented is my barber (who is pretty into watches) and a client of mine who was also wearing a (gen) Panerai at the time. I just said 'Thanks, it was a gift' like it was no big deal and continued with whatever I was doing.

No big deal

I wear on regular basis gens costing 10-20k$ at 23yr old and i like nike shoes and a hoodies.

I now that if i wear a aproo rep or a gen at the same price most people will think its fake either way.

So i realy don't cear what other thinks or say..I wear a watch becasue i like it not beacuse other likes it..

But if i was hanging out whit people having lots of gens i woud cear but i em the only watch nut in my crowd.

Cheers

Before I started getting involved in replicas I knew of only one luxury watch brand - Rolex, of course. Actually I couldn't tell apart one type from another, I just knew Rolex = most expensive watch in the world.

You were not alone. Most gen owners know exactly that & nothing more. Good thing for us all to keep in mind the next time we are neurosing over minor font differences or the height of our crowns. :blink::bangin:

No one ever seems to notice what I have on my wrist. Except my sister-in-law, who always inquires 'is that another new watch?!' :p

Sorry Ubi.... some passive agressive behavior there... what do they say?... you can pick your friends but not your inlaws... :rolleyes:

Guest carlsbadrolex

This is a tough one for me... I have very little concern for what others think of the watches I wear. I wear watches not for their ability to tell time, or the fashion statement they might make. I truly wear them because I marvel at the ability of such small mechanical objects.

With that said, you could catch me wearing my new AP ROO with a pair of surf shorts and sandals. Or you might catch me wearing a gen speedy with an Armani suit. I have several 1st gen Swatch watches from the mid 80's. I once wore a Diamond dialed Swatch to a job interview for a job I really wanted. The interviewer actually commented on the watch. I asked if I had a better chance of getting the job with the Swatch or my gen 6263 Daytona. He said, if you had worn the Daytona I would have that you were full of yourself and you wouldnt fit in here. I didnt get the job anyway, but we spent about an hour talking about watches (and thats never a bad thing).

I dont consider the watch when dressing and I dont considering what to wear based on what watch I might have on.

I have previously been a sports car fanatic, and drove everything from Porsche to a 400hp Honda. I now drive a lifted Nissan Frontier that looks like it should be running the baja 500, and I still wear whatever I happen to grab out of the box (or whatever I happen to be in the mood for that day).

My main point is, I think that often people scrutinize what they are wearing (or driving) too much. If you are wearing the watch because YOU like it, who cares what others might think.

My only suggestion is........ dont try to make others notice it. Unless SHE is 25 years old with no career, great looks, a nice car (probably leased) and fake boobs... she dont care. And if she DOES care, you want to stay as far away as possible (been there done that, and used to have the t-shirt (she took that too).

I think what I am getting at is not the fact that .."how do you act.. or carry yourself .." .. but rather it's not that big a deal .. if your "posturing " .. like it is .. then you are really missing the enjoyment of these replications ... cause it's really not a big deal..

when you can't remember you have a timepiece on is when you are wearing it for "your" enjoyment.. and not the people who you "think" notice..

The only places where I have been and the high end modded reps command looks and respect would be 5 star hotels and restaraunts.. and these are the type of people who I really don't associate with anyway... but it's fun when you notice the first thing they look at is your wrist.... maybe if you wear a timepiece that looks like a dildo .. you could cause quite a rucuss.. and make like .."it's no big deal"... :lol:... I could imagine though that the "mindset" is quite different in the Cities like NY... or the EU fashion capitols where U dress to go to the coffee shop.... it's all about "what you wear" Places..

OK, I am old, and I live in an upscale locale, and I drive an upscale car. So, I can get away with wearing any watch in the world, and no one would ever make the connection on which watch I wear, or care.

And what watch do I wear? The MBW/MBK PPN. The gen Jumbo 3700 or 3800 sells for 10,000 to 50,000.00 USD range. NO ONE even knows or cares what a PPN is.

All my peers wear rollis or omegas, or WHATEVER. I am the only guy I know who is a WIS. I am the only guy I know who gives a [censored] about what is on ones wrist.

I wear a 3717 once in awhile, and the beautiful BSOH for the water deal. NOBODY cares or notices but me.

Wear what makes you feel good. Nobody else care or notices. Even if they do notice that you are wearing a watch...they do not know what the brand is or care.

It is all about WE.

I'm amazed that there are people out there who would actually ask a complete stranger (or even a friend) if his watch was real! Until coming across this forum, the thought never even crossed my mind. However, just in case, I've come up with the perfect answer, "I hope so!" *grin*

And besides this board and timezone there are about 10,000 out of 6 billion people that know that.

Much like one day in London, a long time ago, I turned up to work on my kitted out Ducati 748 with carbon fibre bits all over it and one of my co-workers said "Oh wow, that's one of them Ducatis! Aren't they more than