When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Do you know any gen owners who rotate watches on a regular basis?

DemonSlayer

This question has intrigued me since entering the world of reps and watches in general. Every person I know who owns genuine timpieces only has the one. That’s the watch they intend to wear for the rest of their life. These watches almost always have a handsome look about them, battle scars and the likes which shows they’ve been well worn during their time.

Now most of us rep ‘collectors’, whether we like to admit it or not, we would like to pass off our watches as gens providing no one asks ‘is it real?’ (and some of us would even lie when asked that question… shame shame). We get worked up about flaws and then this turns into an obsession. Many of us find that we’re never satisfied until we start modding them with gen parts, some still aren’t satisfied even after this.

Most rep owners ‘rotate’ their watches. Some on an almost daily basis, others weekly, and some of us real rep nuts even do several rotations during the day. Now, haven’t you ever wondered that won’t other people find it suspicious when they see a $5K watch on your wrist one day, a $20K watch another day, a $7K watch the day after that, a $15K watch the day after that etc. and yet you don’t live the lifestyle of a multi-millionaire. Won’t that draw more attention and suspicion to you? (Of course assuming people notice what’s on your wrist, in my experience most people don’t give a [censored] what watch is on your wrist).

IMO people would be far less suspicious if one was to wear just one watch and be done with it. Or maybe a couple more and rotate those, but not 15+ !!!!

Of course if you’re loaded, and I mean really [censored]ing loaded, then you can pull it off ;)

Well including ourselves, we are also gen owners and a great many of us also own multiple gens and rotate them.

With that being said, I have a friend in the Midwest who is an avid collector of Diver's watches and has quite a handsome collection related to the theme. Of course, he has one "beater", like most of us do, but also has about 12 others that do the job nicely. He is also quite eccentric and likes to attach a story to each of his watches, and has taken them at least once on a trip that somehow ties the usage of a watch to a situation.

It always puzzled me that his prized piece is a 20K JLC Diver, but his daily wearer is a Seiko Orange Monster. I never knew he was such a collector until he noticed I was wearing the Super Avenger and he immediately identified it.

Collecting anything is a fascinating thing, because it leads many of us to obsession. Whether its stamps, guns, cars, records, watches etc. theres always a common trait between all collectors.

So this question wasn't intended to any of the collectors, you guys are nuts :p (to me) and I can't find the logic behind collecting habits. I'm talking more of the general watch enthusiast, or just someone who likes wearing nice watches. I've found that most gen watch owners are not enthusiasts at all, they know [censored] all about their watch or the brands.

Yes - many folks do. You have to separate the person with 2-3 watches (typical work, dress and sport) from those with a larger number. When you get to a half dozen or more most people do rotate unless they are buying for investment and putting it in the vault. The most rampant rotaters I have seen are those who focus on a brand - Rolex, Breguet, Patek, etc. Those guys are flaunting it all the time. :D

Like many collectors, I have a mixture of gens & reps. My daily beater gets worn almost daily, but I keep a stable of rotatables for dinner & special occasions or for when a particular watch just fits a specific outfit or activity. I also have some watches that I keep just because I appreciate their beauty, but which never (or rarely) see the light of day.

Gens, frankens and reps. It just depends. If I don't want to risk being called out, I wear a gen. Need a beater- how about the noob- it did pretty well this weekend pushing the boat off an oyster reef- under water more than once. Want an inconspicous watch- I like the Sinn 303 Silber, the Heuer Carrera 1964 Re-Edition, or even the Rolex 6238 rep. I do wear a lot of Subs, but once again, if people do notice, they don't say anything. I'd figure over 95% of the people don't even pay attention to what you're wearing. I probably wear 5 different watches every week. But like everyone else, some get more wrist time than others.

I'm almost ashamed to say that I've got a lot of watches. And most of them are genuine. I rotate often, perhaps every 3 days or so. I am fickle, the love affair ends quickly with me. And, well, I'm easily sprung, too! I fall in love all over again & again...

i also have gens and reps and rotate them reguarly. Ive been mostly wearing my gen BCE and my v1 SSD. I dont care about if its a rep or a gen, i just wear what i feel like wearing.

I'm almost ashamed to say that I've got a lot of watches. And most of them are genuine. I rotate often, perhaps every 3 days or so. I am fickle, the love affair ends quickly with me. And, well, I'm easily sprung, too! I fall in love all over again & again...

I feel that exact same way too! Couldn't put it any better mate... Especially about falling in love with my each of my watches again & again! :p:wub:

At my peak gen ownership I owned and wore 4 different Rolex Datejusts, 1 Rolex Oysterdate, a solid 18k Gevril Chrono and a Tudor giant Daydate, A solid 18k Tudor date. Wore these on rotation for many years. I sold off all of my collection save one TT Datejust and the TT Oysterdate. I intend to give these to my son and daughter as graduation gifts. I was asked on occasion if my watches were genuine .... that is part of owning a Rolex or a solid gold watch. Wear what ever you want and be happy. In the end you won't take them with you. Cheers

At the end of the day, I'd say that the difference is not between 'rep and gen', but someone who is a real lover, compared to someone who simply 'buys a nice watch' ;)

Amen. And the nice thing about being a collector is being able to rotate your watches. Pander to your varied interests- why limit yourself?

Good responses from everyone :) The pattern seems to be that watch enthusiasts/lovers are much more fascinated with the actual watches, and so will tend to have a larger collection. However those who just want to wear a nice watch, tend to own far less, some even one only and just stick with that one.

Personally, as much as I like watches, I can't like watches enough for them to become an important part of my life. At the end of the day they're just material things, often used by people to show off their wealth.

I have a mix of Gen and Reps, which I rotate depending on what I'm wearing. Of course, most of my watches go well with anything - Gen white face SMP Chrono looks great with shorts and t shirt or a 2k suit :) I usually choose based on what I think looks good with what Im wearing. If its a either or then I usually go Gen.

That being said, when I go 'sporty' I go with the White Chanel J12 Chrono. I just love that watch. I think I need to buy the black version for wearing with a suit next.

Sure, there is plenty of guys.

I have sold quite a few watches on to friends and colleagues and the one thing that surprised me, the guys that are really afraid of getting "called out", is the guys with no money. Rich guys don`t give a [censored], they wear it for fun. Its all about self esteem, if you are worried that you can`t pull of a $10.000 watch, you probably can`t.

Drfiting OT here but its probably ok with this topic. It seems that some here think that you have to look money to pull of a $5000 watch.

Money comes in all shapes and forms, if i see a guy around with an Armani suit and nice shiny "fashion brand" shoes and a Tag or a Sports Rolex or Omega, i KNOW he aint rich, that guy got way to much to proof. However if i see a guy with a pair of jeans, nikes and a casual shirt, he could probably pull of wearing an AP so "nice" clothing isnt enough.

If someone wants to pull off looking rich, i think shoes is your best bet. If you invest in a pair of John Lobbs, then you are good to go mingle with the rich and famous. Thats a conversation starter, a sub does nothing for you.

Thats the one thing we all got in common here, neither of us are rich, therefore we are stuck with reps, the ugly cousin. I have owned several gens nut NEVER more than two at the same time, NOT counting sekos and hamiltons, i don`t know why they get the label "gens" off course they are gens, who would rep that? Or more important, who would be stupid enough to buy a rep hamilton?

I have 6 gens & rotate them along with my reps daily... My gens are Rolex SS Sub, Rolex TT Sub, Rolex Gold President, Breitling TT Chrono Evo, Corum Bubble bomber & a Hamilton Regata... This isn't including the gen Movado's, Tags, etc... My reps are 6 PAMS, a Rolex Daytona, 2 BCE's, 3 Omegas & a few IWC's...

Like many collectors, I have a mixture of gens & reps. My daily beater gets worn almost daily, but I keep a stable of rotatables for dinner & special occasions or for when a particular watch just fits a specific outfit or activity. I also have some watches that I keep just because I appreciate their beauty, but which never (or rarely) see the light of day.

+1 to this idea...

I've got a few in my collection that have been with me for well over a year and a half but have been worn probably twice... not that I don't like them, but I find that they don't *fit* with every occasion.

I have four beaters that I tend to rotate through... a gen SFSO, a gen PO a rep SSD and a rep Ram 5218/218A (would love to have 1 of the 5 gens that exist of that one though)

I have several other watches that I tend to wear on more casual occasions... which watch depends on the occasion and the dress code.

At one point I had a Gen Omega Speedmaster '69, Omega Speedy Mk IV, Omega Planet Ocean, two Rolex Tudor Subs, a Sinn U2 and a Sinn 156 that were rotated on a regular basis.

I then purchased a few PAM reps and sold all the gens except for my Speedy MK IV and still rotate it in on a regualar basis. I wear a watch for 2 days and then go to the next one.