When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Ten Reasons to Reject the Idea of Buying a Replica Watch

blade007

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

90%bs 10% not bs.

I think I have bought a couple replica's because I simply cannot afford to buy the real thing. I love my reps, I'd never waste tons of cash on a Gen even if I did have the disposable cash to do it. I'm not out to impress, in fact, I hardly even show mine to anyone who isnt buying reps anyway.

While I don't agree with most of what that article says, they do make some valid points. As good as the reps are these days, they are STILL reps and I have to agree, leave you (me at least) with that inner feeling of dissatisfaction.

In the BS category I found this quite amusing:

#3) "As a rule, people who purchase highly priced authentic timepieces find no reason to impress anyone as they already have at their disposal enough income to purchase many other expensive items and hardly feel the need to impress anyone with an over-expensive wristwatch."

What a load of pretentious [censored]! Isn't this the reason why MOST people buy a "real" Rolex or whatever branded watch?

1. A replica watch shows off what you really don't have: - Not True

2. Almost anyone can tell a replica watch from an authentic one: - not if you shop at RWG! :)

3. A replica watch will actually impress no one: - probably true - but thats not why i buy them

4. A replica watch will never grow up in value: - Tell that to the closed factory omegas

5. Poor durability: - depends on the factory

6. Lack of precision: - maybe yes, maybe no - gens have issues to

7. Lack of additional functions and complications: - whatever

8. Lack of innovative features: - whatever - again

9. Replica watch buyers involuntarily support illegal activity of fake watch producers: - beyond, illegally making watches - were probably no worse than any other industry that buys crap in china - they all use slaves, use dead prisoners for display bla bla bla -

10. Inner feeling of dissatisfaction: - only when i get some BS from a dealer - or a watch with a major defect - and then i only feel dissatisfied in choosing the loser in the first place :)

only things that are true go against the point - :) on the same side - "super" reps probably do cause alot of problems with people thinkng they are buying gen - cause they are getting just that good - and in that sense - they probably do support crime around the world.

Why wouldn't a con artist buy 3 or 4 big bangs or APs and make an easy payday.

market them as stolen and sell them on the streets of mexico to rich tourists or whatever

- Hey wait - is that why Two Tone was in mexico for so long?

I agree with some point phoband brought up.

The article is from a person that is 100% spot-on-target with the majority of replica buyers but has never known how good the copies can be (Obviously never visited a rep. forum!). A Gen. vs. Fake analogy article written to justify what? Lets just keep that ignorance that way so it doesn't ruin the hobby. The article is pure snobbery at its finest as there is a connoisseur world hidden below the vast majority of fake watch buyers. I feel the hardcore in the rep. forums (Not the one-or-two-shot-fly-by-nighters, but the actual collectors) are a select group that appreciate watches but have their own personal reasons to purchase and delve into replicas. These are the guys with the rep. collections, hobby geeks that mod away or build their own to no end, not your "normal" purchaser who is "Hey look at my sub, its just like the guys next to me with the real ones so I can now impress the peers & chics with flash! - Wannabees in a hive.)

I don't collect reps. anymore, into gens., but some of the finest horologically knowledgeable people I've met, physically & virtually, I've found in these forums. The hardcore reppers have this knowledge out of enthusiasm and necessity and far out-surpass the knowledge of the genuine owners (except the genuine owners forum members - "somewhat I say" as a lot of genuine forum owners know nothing of other watches other than their favorite brand and some, not most, don't delve into the movement knowledge.)

The "high-end" replica watches we are experiencing now is really ruining the hobby for a lot of enthusiasts as the pricing becomes on par with genuines, so a lot of replica collectors are just going "why bother" anymore after seeing all they are spending, or paring down to just a few. Now I'm seeing a tiered replica purchaser hierarchy of haves and have nots of who wants to stay in and who wants out of the game with varying degrees of justification. The hobby it seems is now forming its own social strata, for good or for worse. It'll all wash out in the end through market forces. You'll probably see the same thing happen with genuine collectors in the "new economy". China is coming up in the world, they will be making better counterfeits of every item thinkable since they also produce the genuines for the same maker, and flood the market, exclusivity will suffer in the long run. Why buy an exclusive item if it can be easily copied and hard to tell apart? That's something the article writer can't even fathom as he thinks all fakes are easily spotted. Its all in the mind of the consumer anyway, real or fake, the intrinsic value is with the consumer for whatever reason, not what the pundit tells you. Sheeple are always fleeced one way or another.

Why wouldn't a con artist buy 3 or 4 big bangs or APs and make an easy payday.

market them as stolen and sell them on the streets of mexico to rich tourists or whatever

- Hey wait - is that why Two Tone was in mexico for so long?

The truth comes out :D

Wow! The writer must have been feasting on bong water!

Lets see ...

1) Make a nice case,

2) Fit in a "beutified" ETA movement thats been available since the 70s

3) Slap on Hublot, Maurice Lacroix, Panerai etc on it

4) Charge people $6-10 grand for them.

5) Charge them 100x the cost of parts during servicing/maintenance.

In the mean time, in some far away land, they are able to churn out the same watch thats about "90-95% there" for $250-600.

To me it not about Gen Vs Rep!

It about Stupid Vs Not Stupid!

1. A replica watch shows off what you really don't have: Absolutely NOT! That so pathetic...

2. Almost anyone can tell a replica watch from an authentic one: Shop at RWG...

3. A replica watch will actually impress no one: Probably true, but that is not why I buy them. I bought because I love them...

4. A replica watch will never grow up in value: Probably true...

5. Poor durability: Depends on the factory and dealer

6. Lack of precision: Depend

7. Lack of additional functions and complications: You know nothing about replicas...

8. Lack of innovative features: You know nothing about replicas...

9. Replica watch buyers involuntarily support illegal activity of fake watch producers: And your Nike my friend??? Please...

10. Inner feeling of dissatisfaction: Depend of the product.

1. A replica watch shows off what you really don't have: Absolutely NOT! That so pathetic...

3. A replica watch will actually impress no one: Probably true, but that is not why I buy them. I bought because I love them...

7. Lack of additional functions and complications: You know nothing about replicas...

9. Replica watch buyers involuntarily support illegal activity of fake watch producers: And your Nike my friend??? Please...

Isn

1. A replica watch shows off what you really don't have: - Not True

2. Almost anyone can tell a replica watch from an authentic one: - not if you shop at RWG! :)

3. A replica watch will actually impress no one: - probably true - but thats not why i buy them

4. A replica watch will never grow up in value: - Tell that to the closed factory omegas

5. Poor durability: - depends on the factory

6. Lack of precision: - maybe yes, maybe no - gens have issues to

7. Lack of additional functions and complications: - whatever

8. Lack of innovative features: - whatever - again

9. Replica watch buyers involuntarily support illegal activity of fake watch producers: - beyond, illegally making watches - were probably no worse than any other industry that buys crap in china - they all use slaves, use dead prisoners for display bla bla bla -

10. Inner feeling of dissatisfaction: - only when i get some BS from a dealer - or a watch with a major defect - and then i only feel dissatisfied in choosing the loser in the first place :)

why is nr 1 not true?can you buy all your reps as gens?you dont realy have a gen watch when you have arep.

why pleas explain to me why number one is not true?

Doesn't tanfoglio have the genuines as well as the reps in his collection?

He is me to the nth degree with this obsessive compulsive collecting disorder...

Lets just keep that ignorance that way so it doesn't ruin the hobby.

My thought as well. I'm so glad to see misinformation like this out there.

I don't think I've heard of anyone here trying to represent their rep as a gen - I certainly am not. I happen to like the design, can't afford the gen, so I bought the rep. And now seeing reps, I don't think I would buy a gen, certainly not a used one. :yuk:

No one I know can recognize a Rolex, I'm not showing off my watch, and it's not flashy enough to warrant notice. I consider it what it is, a nice $200+ watch. And I like that this is more or less a private, or lesser-known, hobby. And I enjoy replica debunking articles. :rofl:

The "high-end" replica watches we are experiencing now is really ruining the hobby for a lot of enthusiasts as the pricing becomes on par with genuines, so a lot of replica collectors are just going "why bother" anymore after seeing all they are spending, or paring down to just a few. Now I'm seeing a tiered replica purchaser hierarchy of haves and have nots of who wants to stay in and who wants out of the game with varying degrees of justification. The hobby it seems is now forming its own social strata, for good or for worse.

I agree. The high prices of some newer reps have helped me "evolve" my interest into building frankens that contain as many gen parts as possible, sometimes only using the rep case. In an upcoming explorer project, every single part is gen :D The way I figure it, with the price of reps skyrocketing the way they have been, we might as well look for used gen parts!

2. Almost anyone can tell a replica watch from an authentic one: Many watch experts think that low quality replica watches will be spotted at more than 20 feet away ('they are so poorly made that even a blind chimp would not mistake one for the real thing'). Even if you are not a watch expert yourself, your attention will be caught, for example, by the gold plating of a fake that is too yellow in color or the glass or plastic crystal not reflecting light like sapphire crystal.

That is amazing only today a blind chimp was jumping up and down making that chimp noise, and pointing at me in the street. :o

It just goes to make our great reps more believable to the masses.

Cheers

Johnkaz.

That's great!! I prefer that this kind of propaganda still exists, it helps to keep our end of the hobby hidden from the mainstream.

Yep...and it even makes it easier to pass off a quality rep as gen (if you were so inclined to do so) because people who read crap like that article see a watch that is obviously well put together and has a sweeping second hand, and they think it can't be a fake.

This article is about the $35 canal street rep, not the watches we have access to. The author knows nothing of the high end replica business. When I showed my fake Navitimer to my Jeweler, a Rolex and Breitling distributor, she looked at it and called her assistant manager over and said "Jesus Christ...look at how good this fake is". Doesnt sound like an "anyone can spot it from 20 feet away" scenario to me.