When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Another unsuccesful day at RG.

Guest carlsbadrolex

Guest carlsbadrolex

As most of you know, I buy a fair number of watches from the forums. In total, I figure Ive bought 34 watches in the last 8 months from either here, RG or RWI.

26 of them from this site, 5 from RG and 3 from RWI.

This division can most likely be linked to my post count and amount of time spent on the other forums. A little over 150 hear and under 75 at each of the others. I basically only go to RG to see what is for sale.

In the last two weeks I have had some of the most ridiculous transactions and "near" transactions Ive ever seen on RG.

First I buy a Skyland with two dials and a bracelet only to get a watch with rubber strap and no bracelet or extra dial.

Then today I jump in to buy a watch only to get a PM from someone saying he has sent his PP info to three people, and the first to send payment gets the watch. It makes me wonder what #2 and #3 get???

And this evening I send a pm offering to buy a watch, immediately get a PM with PP instructions. I ask the seller if he can wait until 9am tomorrow for payment and he replies that he can. He then sends another pm to tell me that he is in NJ and that he will wait until noon his time...

Then 45 minutes later he writes again to say that someone else had already sent him payment.

SO, do all sellers over there act like its the wild west and that a buyer (or potential) buyer should have to deal with this crap?

I am amazed at the lack of common courtesy and etiquette on the other forums.

This is not a bash all other forums post... I am mostly posting to see of other cross-forum members have the same opinions and experiences or am I just the lucky one.

I know that some members here, consider one of the other forums "home" and this is not meant to offend. But when I look at things analytically and crunch the numbers... its not a very level playing field.

There was a thread the other day about, why we are HERE... THIS is why I am here. We may have our little issues, but at least 98% of the time when someone says something here it can be taken for the members word. And THAT I appreciate!

"I basically only go to RG to see what is for sale."

Funny... I got banned from RG for posting almost the same exact thing on RWI. But I must say, your experiences over there are about the same that I had experienced there.

In the past several years I've purchased several watches from pretty much every board... but after several experiences very similar to those you posted I never once purchased a watch from a member of RG... think the only watch I ever sourced off that board was from WackoBirdKeeper (WBK) a dealer on several other forums (not here though... odd, I'll have to research that a bit)

After finding several times that watches had been "poached" out from under me after an agreement to transact had been made... and a few sellers that retracted established deals and refunded sent funds and attempted to start a "bidding war" on an item... I pretty much quit reading the forum. The tone there never quite fit with me.

I'm thankful daily that I've found this forum (and TRC and RWI)... where I know what to expect from my fellow members. Its nice to know that there is a level of honor among this group of trademark-infringing-item-collectors.

The person that gave out his PP addy to 3 people....that's messed up...that means if he gets paid 3 x, he intends

to refund 2 (assuming his honest). Sort of a stupid way of doing it....

Just "sort of"? Reeks of potential scammer to me. I had two transactions fall through like that... both died as soon as I got the "I sent my PP info to "X" many others... whomever sends funds first gets the watch".

My reply to that was always..."good luck with your sale, I'm no longer interested."

Definitely poor manners, to say the least. But some people, especially after getting burned by a hesitant buyer or 2, just figure that it is best to go with a sure thing (when it is offered without hesitation) than to wait & take a chance on a buyer changing his mind. Not an excuse, just an observation.

And this evening I send a pm offering to buy a watch, immediately get a PM with PP instructions. I ask the seller if he can wait until 9am tomorrow for payment and he replies that he can. He then sends another pm to tell me that he is in NJ and that he will wait until noon his time...

Then 45 minutes later he writes again to say that someone else had already sent him payment.

At least there was the courtesy to say someone else has sent payment, rather than find out tomorrow after paying that it has already gone!

Definitely poor manners, to say the least. But some people, especially after getting burned by a hesitant buyer or 2, just figure that it is best to go with a sure thing (when it is offered without hesitation) than to wait & take a chance on a buyer changing his mind. Not an excuse, just an observation.

This is pretty much it. I have had numerous people commit, say, "consider it sold" etc and never hear from them again. These are long-time, respected members. I had one guy say, I'll take it" so I send him PP info and 6 hours later he responds with "Just a few questions first."

After a while, you sell to the first person who truly commits. You give them a deadline to pay and then you move on.

I agree... This is not the best practice around.

What I would do as a seller, to avoid similar situation is not to give Paypal account (assuming this is the method of payment) to many people at the same time. Just make sure I have 1 firm buyer (usually the first person to say I will take it). Confirm it again (asking for details such as location, etc.) and then after second PM, I will give my PP account. This is to avoid double payment/etc.

To be honest it's not just a RG thing,

I've had PM's from people on here after a WTB & when I've replied to ask for payment details I get told "sorry its sold".

When I reply I always tell them that I live in the UK, could be a postal issue but still annoys me.

I think all the forums suffer from some of this. There has been some fairly dramatic growth on all the boards and as it grows so will the variety of the people and conversely the competitiveness for items. Although none of the forums want to monitor every trade the best thing you can do if you feel there are questionable practices is to at least report it. Any forum that then sees a pattern can act to warn, suspend or ban the particular member if appropriate.

Different boards have different tones in post content, offers and even what they will tolerate from participants - not better or worse. Just different. Each person has to decide where they feel most comfortable. Finally and most importantly I am a believer that careful evaluation of the other side of a trade is half the battle. Someone who you know or is generally regarded as trustworthy actually has a reputation to uphold so they are IMHO less likely to exaggerate condition or jerk you around on the purchase or sale. And this is true for all forums. :)

I think all the forums suffer from some of this. There has been some fairly dramatic growth on all the boards and as it grows so will the variety of the people and conversely the competitiveness for items. Although none of the forums want to monitor every trade the best thing you can do if you feel there are questionable practices is to at least report it. Any forum that then sees a pattern can act to warn, suspend or ban the particular member if appropriate.

Different boards have different tones in post content, offers and even what they will tolerate from participants - not better or worse. Just different. Each person has to decide where they feel most comfortable. Finally and most importantly I am a believer that careful evaluation of the other side of a trade is half the battle. Someone who you know or is generally regarded as trustworthy actually has a reputation to uphold so they are IMHO less likely to exaggerate condition or jerk you around on the purchase or sale. And this is true for all forums. :)

Totally agree.....+1!

Offshore

I've kind of given up on the sales sections of all forums. In the old days you could pick up some nice deals, but these days the sales sections are like shark tanks, with people whose only interest is to buy cheap and sell high. They never contribute to the forums by writing about their new acquisitions, and their only interest is saving money or profiting. I know you are a great contributor here CBR, but you are the type of person that RG and RWI despise. I am sure that the members at these forums would prefer their sales sections cater to their own members, just as we would prefer it here as well. If you are taking the time to visit their forums, why no stop by and participate in some of their discussions as well?

Guest carlsbadrolex

Unfortunately RG doesnt use this method of dealing with issues. I not only contacted a mod before posting anything... But then when I did post something I was blasted for painting outside the lines.

Then when I made a couple (2 exactly) comments about the lack of trust and faith in the forum it was explained to me that my time there would soon come to an end. I was shocked to find that after someone had claimed they would assist in a matter, it soon became evident that nothing would be done. Then when I stated this, I was told that there was only one remedy... and that as soon as I complied with this demand I would be removed from the forum.

The PM's Ive received in the last 24 hours are incredible... Since Ive now been banned and have no hope of getting the items that were bought and paid for, I will be more than happy to post the threatening PM's I received from both members, moderators and Admin of RG. It will make for some very interesting reading, and Im very glad I had the foresight to save them off their server!

I guess my reply to JC wasnt appreciated. I just attempted to log back in and found that I have been banned...

Since Ive now been banned and have no hope of getting the items that were bought and paid for, I will be more than happy to post the threatening PM's I received from both members, moderators and Admin of RG.

I would be interested in seeing those.

Wow! T. You were Banned at RG.

If they banned you they can ban anybody as your character is beyond question.

JJ

I have seen people banned there for the virtual equivalent of looking a mod or admin directly in the eyes. If they don't like you you will go away sooner or later.

I joined RG because it was the only way to get in touch with TTK concerning his inability to fill me group buy order. I pmed him many times with no response, and resorted to posting in his threads for him to contact me. I had countless posts removed by someone there in my quest to contact TTK. I hate censorship. especially

if it is a plea to a dealer to fulfill his obligations.

CBR. I feel for you and your situatio. I hope it all works out, but I really do believe not that we should paly where we feel safe. I don't feel safe on RG, and once TTK fulfills his obligations I will cancel my account and never go back.

I have all I need here...

good luck and keep us abreast of the situation...

@all:

You can post facts and discuss them, we don't censor anything... but no bashing of other forums (and their members). Otherwise this thread will be closed. I'm 100% positive that you all grown up men know where the line is.

We have our own way of running the forums, RG has different approach. If you don't like it, don't go there. It's that simple.

@its_urabus: I believe TTK has admin/moderator powers in his own section, so he might have deleted your posts himself. I'm not saying this IS the case, but it's possible.

I've only sold one rep, pretty fast and I didn't blow anyone off. I would think the buyer was satisfied. However, speaking from a seller's point of view on something else: a 32" tv I put on craigslist for $150 (I had a succinct description with good photos in the ad, great condition).

Inquiries came in immediately - I tried to be very courteous, the first email got a response, and I told the other emails that came in that someone was interested, but I would let them know. After going through 4 people, answering multiple questions in email, and talking with 2 on the phone, I was still nowhere - everything from not hearing back, to one guy refusing to pay more than $90 and can he come look at it first. This wasn't worth my time - I can make more money working in the equivalent time. The 5th guy sounded interested, talked to him on the phone, and I told him I just wanted to sell it at this point because people were being ridiculous, and agreed on $100. He said it was just a matter of picking it up, but again I did not hear from him the next day when he said he'd come get it. So I went to the next email, and finally hit a normal person who managed to pick it up the next day - and I got rid of it for $125.

My point being, sellers have to put up with a lot of [censored] as well. Of course, what you describe sounds like some [censored] sellers, so perhaps my actual point is that good faith really seems to go out the window on the internet, where face to face would give a lot of signals as to whether someone was on the level or not. I'm not selling anything that way again.