When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Are you comfortable with big watch?

magagne

Comfortable with big watch?  

89 members have voted

1. 1. Comfortable with big watch?

• Yes
    • No. My wrist can handle it, but I find them silly

I'm not too excited about big watches. Some models would definitely look better if they were only 40-42mm, imho.

As much as I love my Aquaracer Day-Date rep, I'm considering to buy the gen of older date model, which is just 40mm. Same thing with Planet Ocean... the smaller 42mm version is much better looking watch of the two.

So no... I don't really care about huge watches. 42mm is a big watch already, and most of the 45+mm watches look silly and unbalanced. People who think they look good on their skinny wrists are mistaken... Panerais with straps perhaps being the exception... because the whole thing about PAMs is that they look "oversized".

The big watch trend is over. At least for me.

I won't buy anything over 43mm anymore.

hmm, the poll is a bit pointless as everyone's definition of BIG is different - everyone's wrist size is different and so are their preferences. why not have a poll as follows:

Are you comfortable wearing:

* 40mm

* 42mm

* 44mm

* 46mm

* 48mm

* 50+mm

That might give some sort a comprehensive insight into what people prefer. I have 7.5 inch wrists and I tend to prefer 42mm and would go MAX at 44mm. So, in ratio to my wrists, 42/44mm is not really a big size as such. I am comfortable at that size.

For me, the wrist size alone isn't any kind of deciding factor. Of course, when you have bigger wrists, you "can" wear them. But most watches themselves look much better and more balanced in 40-42mm than 45+ mm.

Just imho, of course.

PS: I think anything over 42mm is a "big" watch.

For me, the wrist size alone isn't any kind of deciding factor. Of course, when you have bigger wrists, you "can" wear them. But most watches themselves look much better and more balanced in 40-42mm than 45+ mm.

Just imho, of course.

PS: I think anything over 42mm is a "big" watch.

I agree. The larger watches seem unbalanced IMHO. Bigger isn't necessarily better, and often a discreet watch is more stylish and less "showy" than some of the dinner plate sized watches around now.

I suppose if you want to be noticed, then a huge watch is difficult to miss, so then it might make some sense to wear one...

M

I still have plenty of 44mm+ watches in my stable but...I have noticed that I'm wearing the 40-42 range a lot more lately.

I've been having to attend meetings and wearing suits a lot lately so fat super avengers just don't work. I never thought I would say this but I'm starting to agree with By-Tor that the 40-42's do seem more balanced and just sit well on the average persons wrist.

My 44 and bigger requirement days are over, now I'm a lot more open to smaller watches.

hmm, the poll is a bit pointless as everyone's definition of BIG is different - everyone's wrist size is different and so are their preferences. why not have a poll as follows:

Are you comfortable wearing:

* 40mm

* 42mm

* 44mm

* 46mm

* 48mm

* 50+mm

That might give some sort a comprehensive insight into what people prefer. I have 7.5 inch wrists and I tend to prefer 42mm and would go MAX at 44mm. So, in ratio to my wrists, 42/44mm is not really a big size as such. I am comfortable at that size.

Since a few years, men size watch was ~40mm, over that was considerate as big watch, mid size was ~37-38mm, so all watch that is 44mm and over are big watch.

But these days, ~42mm seems to be the "new" men size standard.

It also depends on the watch. SFSO is HUGE but it doesn't feel and look "too big" at all. The design of SFSO is perfect, pure genius (imho), and the bracelet really contours along with your wrist.

But 45mm PO is just oversized. Somehow, the bracelet doesn't "comply" with your wrist very well, and makes it wear even bigger than it is. And despite the huge size, the design is very minimalistic... especially with the black bezel. Maybe this has something to do with the case shape too... watches with angular shape bezels probably wear smaller?

The main reason why I love the SMP Chronograph so much, is that the diameter is only 41mm without the pushers, and the watch is THICK. It wears both big and balanced. The Daytona for example, feels really tiny in comparison... despite being only 1mm smaller.

It also depends on the watch. SFSO is HUGE but it doesn't feel and look "too big" at all. The design of SFSO is perfect, pure genius (imho), and the bracelet really contours along with your wrist.

yes u are right. I was a bit afraid of the size until I tried out a gen. I am wearing mine on a leather strap to break up the metalic profile a little and soften the look of the watch a bit.

It is big and fat (statistically speaking), but as you say, it doesnt feel that way..

I don't know, if sport watches are the only kind of watch you wear then yes, a certain size in conjunction with your wrist size is probably what one will feel comfortable with. Looking at some of the wrist shots in the forum I'd agree that some watches are way too big for the small wrists they're on, flopping loosely makes them look worse. I have different watches for different occasions, with a 7.5 inch wrist, the smallest I can go is 38mm in a couple of dress watches. But all of my sports type watches (diver, panny, lunar) are at the comfortable end for me at 48mm with the Glycine Airman 7 topping out at 53mm (and it feels balanced as it is clean in design and the height is small compared to a thick clunky graham). Interesting though I have no 42mm but have a 42mm field watch chrono on order as I though the "field watch design" would look "too big" at 48mm. Personal tastes.

My 127 took a little getting used to, but I do really like it. Not sure why, but for some reason, I always feel the numerals 'look larger' in the dark, rather than looking at it in daylight :huh: I don't think I'd wear anything larger than the 127. I really need to get mine back from being serviced...

With more and more rep of big watch, and the demand seem to be for big watches, if your wrist can handle it, are you comfortable (psychologically) to wear these big watch like 44mm, 46mm watches and more ?

Wearing comfort is not always size related.. The flexibility and shape of the band is also a very important factor...

I have a small wrist but this one for example really wears extremely comfortable, like a "second skin".

p1160505ym6.th.jpg

Best regards,

Lewis.

I got 1 of the 1st reasonably accurate Panerai reps several years ago, but I always thought it looked like a heart monitor or like I was yelling 'Hey, Everyone, Look At My Watch!!!!!!!!!!!' whenever I wore it. So, for me, the era of the big watch came to an end long before it became trendy. I think anything larger than 40mm or so is too large on my 7" wrist.

The only large watch that remains on my 'To Buy' list is the Rolex Deepsea, which will more than likely spend all of its time snorkeling around in the depths of 1 of my watch cases, because it is too obvious (silly-looking) to wear with anything other than a wet suit

deepseawrist.jpg

I own most all sizes. I have a smallish wrist @ 6.75.

My favorite watch is spec'd at 42mm. My MBK PPN. At 42mm this watch is definitely not too big.

I quit buying Pams a few years back because most at 44mm were just to THICK, and didn't sit all that well on my wrist.

Tried the 45mm PO, and hated it. Never considered a 127.

The 42mm 3717 is almost a perfect fit, but still sits a bit uncomfortably on my sub 7'' wrist. However, my most recent purchase was the incredible Breitling Heritage, and it fits my wrist better than almost any of my other sports style models regardless of case size. The shape and thickness of the case and lugs is close to perfect for the 45mm size.

To me it is simply a matter of fit. The thickness of most sports models is what kills the comfort and contributes to why many of the (+) 42mm watches seem like wearing hockey pucks.

Best fitting watches IMO are THIN cases, like my PPN and Cartier Tank. But the Heritage rivals those for true comfort because of its superior case design.

Really size does matter, but it is mostly a case of whatever works for you.

My personal preference is more form follows function. Or rather, make that comfort.

A couple of examples-

I love my 42mm Patek Nautilus. It's thin profile, comfortable bracelet and light weight makes it a perfect choice for me.

To contrast, the 42mm AP ROO (secs at 12:00) I owned briefly was thick, heavy, bulky and the bracelet was not easy to size to a reasonable fit; it was either too loose or too tight (perhaps a half link would have worked well to adjust a bit). Regardless, it weighed a ton, and always felt clumsy; I had to consciously keep from knocking it into walls, door frames etc.

For me, a 40mm Oyster case is a nice inbetween- Nicely proportioned, not too thick, easy to adjust the bracelet; very organic feeling.

Panerai is okay at 44mm, as the case is rather low profile, and the lugs help stabilize the case on the wrist.

So to summarize, the acceptable size of the watch in my case really depends on the watch itself; it has to be comfortable first and foremost. That said, I don't think a 53mm watch is going to fit well, nor very comfortaby on my 6.75 in. wrist :)

Being a rolex fan, i prefer 40- 42mm. i gotta say i love the HB BB

which is mush bigger but wears very comfortably. i'm having issues already with the new Tag Grand

Carrera which is 43 & 18mm but is very clunky. even my Ingy @ about 42mm is kinda heavy and bulky.

i may put a leather or rubber band to lighten it up abit.

i think the new GMT2 is a great size.

I have a 46.2mm watch the JLC EWA and that sits on my wrist better then lets say a big pilot that is the same size.

Also the ROO is much better for me to use then a HBB.

The ROO is the limit in terms of size i have 6,7 wrist.

Best watch in terms of comfort and size for my wrist in my watch box is the Breitling Emergency.

Cheers