When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What Five Gens...

RobbieG

...in the next five years. In other words, name your grail watches - or some of them that you could see yourself adding one or more or all of to your collection in the next five years. This is always fun to ask yourself what you would really buy. For some members there is no crossover and their gen list is limited to watches there are no good reps of. Others own the reps and want the gens anyway. It is always fun to see thediversity of tastes

Try to limit it to stuff that is on your mind and make it realistic. As an example, I would of course like to own a Breguet double tourby, but watches over 300K are not in my price range obviously.

OK I'll start with the next five that are on my list in no particular order. I have a lot of sports watches that I wanted so now I'm into some more interesting and different things that are beyond my usual box. The hole in my collection is in smaller and dressier pieces for the most part...

1. IWC Jubilee Series Vintage Aquatimer SS/Rubber

2. Lange 1 or Grande Lange 1 PT/Silver/Black Leather

3. PAM 00098 GMT/Alarm SS/Brown Leather

4. Chronoswiss Tora Chronograph SS/Black Dial/Whisky Leather

5. VC Malte Power Reserve or Patrimony Small Seconds WG/Silver/Black Leather

Good stuff Phoband. That cream dialed UN Maxi Chrono is really cool in the flesh - although i prefer it on the bracelet myself. The cream with rose gold is a great combo too, except that UN in my opinion has the worst rose gold color/mix I have ever seen. Rose has to be just right or it looks bad IMO.

Anyway, keep em coming guys. As I said the differences in tastes is really cool to see...

Yeah, slimming down. Seems like you and I are both pondering the less is more thing lately Ubi...

Yessir, RG :) I myself like a tight, focused collection. Makes the morning decision of what to wear a little easier to deal with! As it is... I oft times find that I struggle with that task with what I have!

^_^

Personally, I have always thought you had the coolest and most focused collection on the boards. I kind of went in more of a gen direction but I always wished I had the patience and skills for modding you have. If I had the time and inclination I'm sure I would have moved into frankens to create world class pieces instead of just buying gens. Hats off to ya brother...

Yessir, RG :) I myself like a tight, focused collection. Makes the morning decision of what to wear a little easier to deal with! As it is... I oft times find that I struggle with that task with what I have!

^_^

A lot of members are into that vintage Fify lately. I'm going to have to check that one out. It seems like every maker is doing a vintage dive watch these days. I also love the Breitling Heritage, but in keeping with my smaller theme of late, I actually prefer the small seconds 38MM version with the mesh bracelet...

I think I'm down to one more...

blancpain_fifty_fathoms_whole.jpg

Here's a nice link for ya, R .......... http://www.watchdeco.com/fiftyfathoms/index.html

RobbieG- What do you think of the Jaquet Droz? Is it a watch that gets much wrist time?

I had examined one at my local AD sometime ago (to which they insisted I wear cotton gloves while handling); just a basic Grande Seconde. Very beautiful watch, but I don't think I'd find much opportunity in wearing such a piece, as my daily dress is a bit too... Uhhhh... Perhaps I'll say relaxed and casual (usually jeans and a polo). I was a bit surprised over the relatively low price at the time; $12k-ish as I thought a watch of this stature would ring up a bit higher (no worries there, I suppose; they've since adjusted prices for their current line up :) ). At any rate... A very beautiful piece, nicely balanced dial with a very elegant, slim case. Just curious if it's one that makes your regular rotation for wear?

B- Thanks for the link to the vintage Fifty Fathoms :) I had seen it before, but forgot to bookmark it, so now I have it saved. Lots of good info on there, but most of all LOTS of eyecandy! Good stuff for sure...

Cheers,

R

I really love it but I find that I wear it in less dressy situations - although usually with long sleves casual shirts. It is AMAZING in every way and yes, I wear it a lot. It does wear big though. About like an FA Jones but the subdial contrast breaks it up better. Will try and shoot it soon as well.

RobbieG- What do you think of the Jaquet Droz? Is it a watch that gets much wrist time?

I had examined one at my local AD sometime ago (to which they insisted I wear cotton gloves while handling); just a basic Grande Seconde. Very beautiful watch, but I don't think I'd find much opportunity in wearing such a piece, as my daily dress is a bit too... Uhhhh... Perhaps I'll say relaxed and casual (usually jeans and a polo). I was a bit surprised over the relatively low price at the time; $12k-ish as I thought a watch of this stature would ring up a bit higher (no worries there, I suppose; they've since adjusted prices for their current line up :) ). At any rate... A very beautiful piece, nicely balanced dial with a very elegant, slim case. Just curious if it's one that makes your regular rotation for wear?

B- Thanks for the link to the vintage Fifty Fathoms :) I had seen it before, but forgot to bookmark it, so now I have it saved. Lots of good info on there, but most of all LOTS of eyecandy! Good stuff for sure...

Cheers,

R

1) Vintage Heuer Monaco

2) Vintage Blancpain Fifty Fathoms

I could only come up with 2 that seem to be consistently on any sort of list that I have...

I seem to have overlooked a very important watch from my list- As far as somewhat affordable goes...

1109601951.jpg

That is one that I'll likely end up buying sooner or later...