When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

McCain picks Alaska Gov. as running mate

southcoast68

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not being in this race so my oppinion does not realy count, but i googled her like Bob said and i got this

3fd3_1.JPG

I would vote for that image as VP.

On a serious note, I like what she does and what i have heard so far. She has a son about to deploy and she will know what mothers go through when their sons and daughters go off to war, she her self has fought Oil giants and won. I like the lady

That's "all" that matters? The only things?

Are you judging her because her personal beliefs differ from yours?

Isn't that sort of ........... intolerant?

Lol, I`m shocked, and scared... she is a politician for crying out loud, personal beliefs is kinda important. Unless you off course, have access to a pic with her and a gun, that will tell you a lot about her as a person and what she stands for. :huh:

Its just so ridiculus. McCain met this woman ONCE before chosing her as his VP..ONCE! So McCain picked someone to fill the second most important position in the world that he does not even KNOW! McCain is 72 and its certainly possible that he wont finish his term and if this would occur who is our new President? A self described "hockey mom" from Alaska! Whats even more crazy is all the right wingers such as Limbaugh trying to convince the lay public that this is the best possible choice! McCain did what he thought was required to win for him the White House NOT what was good for the American people and that should be something everyone should remember when deciding who they should vote for. I was leaning McCain but now no way he gets my vote.

I love the political process every 4 years. It is the most facination form of Marketing we have in the world. Political parties hyper segment people around various issues and try to appeal with single ideas to "pull" different people to one side or the other. "What matters most to you oh stupid voter" they say to themselves.

To me, it always comes down to the economy. All these social issues, belief issues, woman for prez, black man for prez, security and terrorism, etc, etc, etc don't mean a damn thing if you don't have a job, don't have a roof, and can't eat, and can't take care of your family. Our economy (the USA) is in the toilet. It is far worse than retarded stock market seems to believe. And, it takes time for the financial disaster to actually show up in the numbers because most people have savings, etc.

I continue to vote on what these candidates say they are going to do about the economy. And, right now - what Obama is proposing is ludicrous. It is as if he has no understanding of economics and business. Clinton, ironically was actually very business friendly. Of course, Bush was as well. Bush is no more responsible for the credit crisis, than Clinton was responsible for the dot.com bubble. It is the stupidity of American financial institutions. So, I hope that as we get into the real election - these candidates start to actually talk about real ideas that will work and not just this Populist crap.

Oh - and Sarah for VP is no more silly than Obama for Pres. Just because Obama can talk does not mean he can be pres. And just because Palin has low experience does not mean she would do any worse either. I always prefer Govenors over Senators for President. Govenors actually had to manage a state and a busget and have some business skills.

Just my 2 cents.

IMO, McCain was right to pick a Governor to be his running mate ... he just picked the wrong one. Pawlenty would have been my preferred choice. In previous posts I have pointed out that I was not a fan of Obamas because of his lack of experience, and this selection hurts McCain's ability to hammer on Obama on this issue even though we are electing a President and not a VP.

This selection was 100% strategic in nature, and not because she's a woman. Her selection has now solidified the Republican base and settled down the group within that he absolutely needs if he's going to have any chance to get elected. If he gets anyone to come to his side for any other reason, it's a bonus.

For me, the jury is still out. I want to know more about her policies, and whether or not she hangs tough in the debate with Biden. If she survives those tests with me she'll convince me she was a good choice. Until then it's a wait and see.

But I'm still voting for President, not VP ... and thus far neither candidate has done enough to earn my support yet.

Edited by tomhorn

Unless you off course, have access to a pic with her and a gun, that will tell you a lot about her as a person and what she stands for. :huh:

Sarah%20with%20troops%20(and%20tank).jpg

This is her behind the 50 cal heavy machine gun

is that gun enough?

Don't get me wrong, I like Sarah Palin. She is a rising star in the Rebublican Party and I like most of her views. That being said, I don't think she was the "Smart" pick for McCain for this election.

Trust me, I'd rather see a Palin-McCain vs. Obama-Biden race B)

This selection was 100% strategic in nature, and not because she's a woman. Her selection has now solidified the Republican base and settled down the group within that he absolutely needs if he's going to have any chance to get elected. If he gets anyone to come to his side for any other reason, it's a bonus.

100% agree with that. She is not going to get any Hilary supporters. In fact - she may push them to Obama even more with her beliefs. McCain did not choose her for that. They choose her to make sure that the conservative segment of the Republican base will come out to vote. McCain had a serious problem with those folks.

100% agree with that. She is not going to get any Hilary supporters. In fact - she may push them to Obama even more with her beliefs. McCain did not choose her for that. They choose her to make sure that the conservative segment of the Republican base will come out to vote. McCain had a serious problem with those folks.

I just think it is funny how hypocritical the media and the politicians are. They talk about experience but they fail to mention that as a Governor you only meet with the legislative body for your state twice a year. Obama was a legislator for 11 years before he became a Senator. Any governor has less real experience than a Senator. McCain has chosen someone whom really has no experience and I find that disappointing. I am a independent but surrounded by hard core Republicans and they where all vexed yesterday.

Edited by dred30

It is an interesting pick. It's unconventional, but I disagree with the mainstream media who call it a hail marry pass. McCain is in a great position right now as Obama has been tanking in the polls since July, and he doesn't need to do anything out of desperation. Even the DNC hardly provided Obama with a bounce in the polls, which is great news for McCain with the RNC still to come.

This pick does a number of things for McCain: (1) It brings on board a solid conservative to shore up the conservative base who have been dogging McCain all along. He needed a conservative on the ticket, and she is going to appease a great many. (2) It gives the Republicans a potentially history making ticket as well. (3) It brings youth and the notion of "change" from a Washington outsider to the ticket.

What I don't like about the pick: (1) Experience, or lack thereof. McCain's #1 talking point, IMO, is the experience issue. Choosing a junior governor hinders McCain's ability to go after Obama on experience to a certain degree. On the other hand, of course, it will be very hard for Biden to attack Palin on experience after having gone after Obama so harshly on the issue during the primaries. (2) It feels a little like a somewhat misguided attempt to court disgruntled Hillary voters. I just don't see a conservative female attracting too many Hillary types. (3) The Dan Quayle factor. I.e. Who the heck is Sarah Palin? She comes almost out of nowhere and could really falter in the VP debates against a menacing Joe Biden.

Personally, I'm still undecided. But I'm still leaning towards "none of the above." ;)

Just a FYI...

check out this site, it has all of the top polls and averages. The DNC did give Obama a bump. He was down in the Gallup Poll and tied in the Rasmussen poll before the convention.

Just a FYI...

check out this site, it has all of the top polls and averages. The DNC did give Obama a bump. He was down in the Gallup Poll and tied in the Rasmussen poll before the convention.

What site?

Palin is slightly-right wing, possibly right of Ghengis Khan, so don't expect moderate views from her.

It doesn't matter who you vote for. The only way the American vote is going to count is if no one votes.

We should not allow another one of these people to wipe their ass with our constitution and believe they have the popular vote while doing it.

The biggest fear of any leader is being disliked by those over who they rule!

I just think it is funny how hypocritical the media and the politicians are. They talk about experience but they fail to mention that as a Governor you only meet with the legislative body for your state twice a year. Obama was a legislator for 11 years before he became a Senator. Any governor has less real experience than a Senator. McCain has chosen someone whom really has no experience and I find that disappointing. I am a independent but surrounded by hard core Republicans and they where all vexed yesterday.

I would strongly disagree. As a Governor you run the entire State government. All the Departments and agencies report to you. If you are prepping to run the US government, running something of that size trumps sitting in Legislative sessions and passing laws ... which ironically, the Governor has to figure out how to implement in many cases.

How many times you meet with your legislative body is not a measure of anything. The President normally only does it once a year formally. You can bet your bottom dollar that she and her staff meet with several of them on a daily basis, as does the President and his staff, no matter which party.

Personally, I wanted him to choose a Governor, but wanted Pawlenty instead. This choice doesn't help him on the "experience" argument, but is hardly fatal. If he loses the election, IMO she will not be the reason. Many people seem to forget the election is between Obama and McCain. It's not between Obama and Palin, Biden and Palin, or even Obama and Bush as some in the media would love everyone to believe. Yes, the VP candidates are a very small factor, but ultimately you should be voting for the guy at the top of the ticket.

Obama became a legislator in Illinois in January of 1997, and left office in Novemebr of 2004. Please let us know how that adds up to 11 years before he became a Senator. My math must be a little rusty.

I don't think many folks saw this comming............

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/08/29/pal...date/index.html

True...with one exception:

Nanuq. :D

PS: Although she is by far more beautiful than McCain (Cindy that is)...we wonder whether or not she can handle foreign policy, Iran, Iraq, Afghanistan, climate change, and the defining issues of this election and our future...especially when Numero 1 is 72 years old and a melanoma patient...(beating the odds)...can she become the acting US President (even if for a while in the event Mc Cain takes a little health vacation at Bethesda?)? ....this is interesting...I wished McCain was as maverick-like in choosing the members of his team. It will lead to very interesting 70 days unitl the election....And proves this is the best system....unique times, my friends, unique times.

I think his selection of Palin is really insulting, especially to women. Basically he's counting on women being so stupid that they will vote for him just because the simple fact that his running mate is a women. He's in for a big surprise. Not to mention that her views are not inline with most women. Creationism in public schools? Opposed to abortion, even after rape? None of my female friends are falling for this gimmick. She has no foreign policy experience, in fact just weeks ago she said in an interview "What exactly is it that the VP does?" along with "The position of VP doesn't seem productive"..Oh wait, but she has 5 kids so people will fall in love with her!! Come on!! This is basically a concession on Mccain's part, had he picked a conventional white male VP he would have no chance of winning this race - he needed to do something drastic. In change vs. experience elections, change always wins. So he needed to jump on the change bandwagon.. I can just see it now:

"The Maverick and the MILF"

Edited by UB7

Personally, I like the pick, and I'm eager to see what she's able to bring to the table!

This should be an interesting race, to say the least!

P.S. For a 44 year old mother of 5, she's looking pretty dang good. Kind of has that Tina Fey look. Dunno what it is about a girl in glasses, but :wub: Wish my wife would wear hers a little more often...

I would strongly disagree. As a Governor you run the entire State government. All the Departments and agencies report to you. If you are prepping to run the US government, running something of that size trumps sitting in Legislative sessions and passing laws ... which ironically, the Governor has to figure out how to implement in many cases.

How many times you meet with your legislative body is not a measure of anything. The President normally only does it once a year formally. You can bet your bottom dollar that she and her staff meet with several of them on a daily basis, as does the President and his staff, no matter which party.

Personally, I wanted him to choose a Governor, but wanted Pawlenty instead. This choice doesn't help him on the "experience" argument, but is hardly fatal. If he loses the election, IMO she will not be the reason. Many people seem to forget the election is between Obama and McCain. It's not between Obama and Palin, Biden and Palin, or even Obama and Bush as some in the media would love everyone to believe. Yes, the VP candidates are a very small factor, but ultimately you should be voting for the guy at the top of the ticket.

Obama became a legislator in Illinois in January of 1997, and left office in Novemebr of 2004. Please let us know how that adds up to 11 years before he became a Senator. My math must be a little rusty.

Sorry I forgot the link for the polls. http://www.realclearpolitics.com/polls/

Sorry again I miss spoke I meant 11 years of total legislative experience, 1997-2008 even though they all neglect their office during running for President.

If I'm not mistaken running a State is different than running the country because the President is not in on the every day running of micro government. The Presidents main job is legislative and constitutional which you don't deal with on a regular basis as a Governor. I don't doubt that as Governor you would discuss ideas with your local H.R.. I think most people forget that the President is inundated by that pesky thing called the constitution and experience in that comes directly from being a legislator or having constitutional law experience.

For her experience credentials check out how the Alaskan economy is doing during these economic times, especially considering the mess she inherited. For "foreign" policy check out how well she negotiates between the many Alaskan native nations we have here, each with wealth larger than many countries. They have strident and significant demands for subsistence, land rights, social issues, healthcare, energy needs, and they usually DO NOT get along well together. She has managed to address their needs very well. As for foreign business, tarrifs, negotiations, she stood up for Alaska and faced down the oil companies, upholding the Alaskan. constitution to their detriment. She took away the Pt. Thompson leases from Exxon after they violated the terms AGAIN, and is forcing that development toward.

Our housing is strong, employment is strong, education is strong, we have almost 30 billion dollars in the bank, and she called the legislature to session AGAIN to make them produce a resource extraction rebate so each eligible Alaskan gets $1,200 for energy this winter. How many special sessions has she called? How often does she bend the legislature to her and the public's will? At least a dozen in 2 years. This woman can stare down the CEOs of BP, Exxon, and TransCanada and make them blink. She shoots better than I do.

She also chose to keep Trig when she and Todd found out she was pregnant with a Downs baby. She delivered him healthy and we're sure proud of that.

She can be your best friend; you do NOT want her for your enemy. She's an original iron woman and IMNSHO she'd do better than McCain.

Wow, Palin is REALLY energizing this race....

(1) Obama's post DNC poll bounce: GONE. (http://www.zogby.com/news/ReadNews.dbm?ID=1547) [Remember Zogby had Obama's DNC bounce among the largest of the reputable pollsters at +6 to +8]

(2) McCain Gets $7 Million Bounce (in 24 hours) from Palin Pick (http://voices.washingtonpost.com/the-trail/2008/08/30/mccain_gets_7_million_bounce_f.html?hpid=topnews)

Completely giving back a post-convention bump within two days is, to my knowledge (and I'm a politics junkie), unprecedented.