When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Custom Homebuilt Flieger #1

Guest avitt

I just completed this one:

img3733da1.jpg

img3752me8.jpg

img3745df3.jpg

img3741rt2.jpg

img3775ti5.jpg

img3789kb3.jpg

The specs:

This is a 42mm German 316L stainless case, with a low-domed, double AR coated sapphire crystal. Dial and hands are lumed with Superluminova. The movement is a Seagull clone of the ETA/Unitas 6498. The strap is from Steinhart.

I originally ordered a diamond-style crown, and a brushed case finish. When I received a polished case and onion crown, I decided to alter my plans, and I bead-blasted everything...I think it works pretty well :) Hope you enjoy...

:o

I love it!!

42mm.... How does it wear? True to size? Smaller/larger?

Looks great!! And the bead blasting is a very nice touch!

Thanks Ubi...

I'd say it's pretty true to size. Here's a quick (6.75") wrist shot:

img3784bk6.jpg

Thanks again everyone :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Have you thought of bead-blasting the snaps in the strap to make them match the case? Might be a nice finishing touch.

Sorry that I missed this question...Yes, in fact I did think about bead-blasting the rivets. But I did the blasting on Friday, and the strap came in on Saturday, so I just threw it on for the pictures.

beautiful watch and beautiful work......id love to see one with center seconds...like a mini b-uhr ...poljot made one but it had that pesky date window.....anyways, verrrrrrry nice

I'd love a center-seconds version as well. As you know, the original B-Uhr watches all featured large manual-wind movements with center seconds. Today, the only options for center seconds seem to be smaller automatics, or very expensive modified 6497/6498 movements (as sold by Chronoswiss, Stowa, and others). I've even been searching for suitable vintage pocket watch movements, but the only one that I've seen is a hacking Hamilton military timer, the 4992B...and it's too large, at 43.1mm in diameter.

If you don't mind me asking, how much did the components run you?

I don't mind at all. The components for this one totaled just under $235. A pretty remarkable price for this quality.

I'd love a center-seconds version as well. As you know, the original B-Uhr watches all featured large manual-wind movements with center seconds. Today, the only options for center seconds seem to be smaller automatics, or very expensive modified 6497/6498 movements (as sold by Chronoswiss, Stowa, and others). I've even been searching for suitable vintage pocket watch movements, but the only one that I've seen is a hacking Hamilton military timer, the 4992B...and it's too large, at 43.1mm in diameter.

same complaint T has had and why his custom watches arent center seconds

i say geet a cheap asian movt and drop in a spacer :)

re: money - on a lovely project like this with the quality and price- you should be braggin - Brilliant work. totally brilliant.

for that price, i might want one myself :)

that is very stunning, congrats on the home made piece.

Do you know if larger cases are available with similar specs as the one you purchased avitt..i ask because I followed your link from ebay but the language barrier really sticks it to me and doing a search in our own english ebay shows worthless results if any.

Wear your piece in good health!

• 9 months later...

Nice work Avitt. I have on my wrist right now a Graf Zeppelin. Too much alike. I DO LOVE YOUR WORK!

Got anything else?

I just completed this one:

img3733da1.jpg

img3752me8.jpg

img3745df3.jpg

img3741rt2.jpg

img3775ti5.jpg

img3789kb3.jpg

The specs:

This is a 42mm German 316L stainless case, with a low-domed, double AR coated sapphire crystal. Dial and hands are lumed with Superluminova. The movement is a Seagull clone of the ETA/Unitas 6498. The strap is from Steinhart.

I originally ordered a diamond-style crown, and a brushed case finish. When I received a polished case and onion crown, I decided to alter my plans, and I bead-blasted everything...I think it works pretty well :) Hope you enjoy...

Guest avitt
Avitt, Is this from Chris over at WWW?

Nope, I built this one a year ago. At the time, I had just discovered parts from ebay seller erkahund in Germany (Roland Kemmner). Roland supplies parts for several well known watch manufacturers and assemblers.

After Roland started selling his flieger parts on the bay (and I started posting my pieces here and on WUS), a lot of small new assemblers, like Wilson, started showing up...They all use the same parts.

Here are a couple more of my "erkahunds" (I've built 5 of them now).

Stowa Marine Homage

img5485x.jpg

DLC'd Flieger

img5536j.jpg