When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Well, I am scared.... how about you? hehe

im2

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I disagree wholeheartedly with this. I own almost a dozen gens myself and visit those forums, but my behavior is nothing like this. I just love watches, but I am the exception rather than the rule. Of course, I'm not rich on the level which you speak of though. But I do hang with a lot of them. People who hand on watch forums - gen or rep - do not represent the respective owners of each group of watch buyers as a whole. We are all the exception.

When I meet friends and clients at golf clubs and on yachts and private jets there has never been one time that any of them noticed or commented on my watch, nor did I on theirs. Many of these guys wear Day-Dates and with them a lack of watch saavy is to be expected, but many also wear VC, AP, Patek, Lange, etc. In other words, most high end watch owners actually don't buy watches for status symbols, they buy them because they happen to be sold where they shop for jewelry in most cases. I know a guy who owns a VC Malte Chrono in Platinum and not only can he not pronounce the name, he refers to the hands as "arms". He also just got a new Ferrari 430 and when I asked him how many horses it had he couldn't tell me. I think you see my point. People who buy expensive gens are WAY past the point financially of seeing a watch as a way to impress friends. These guys need to own their own Gulfstream 5 or a 148ft Fedship to do that. Oh, and they have never even heard of TZ or WYS either...

From my experience, most wealthy people come across watches while shopping for diamonds for thier wife. Seriously. They are on Rodeo window shopping and after buying a 100K necklace, they mosey over to the watch counter. They don't know much about the watch brands other than "Yeah, Patek is supposed to be good", or whatever and then the salesmen proceeds to sell them the watch. This is how all the major brands sell the majority of thier watches. They count on it. Most watch companies would tell you they don't even like the big watch stores as they can't ove the high end stock as fast a as jewelry store (Rolex may be the exception here though). Stores that really DO sell 100K necklaces are the best place to sell a 30K watch to the husband - not Tourneau. Plus, he has and excuse to buy somethinng expensive, but justified since it costs way less than what the wife got. LOL. They try them on while the wife is getting fitted. Just another Sunday shopping experience. So over the years they accumulate several nice pieces this way, but unlike us here, they don't seek out watches. The watches find them.

Well put. I even read the whole thing. :lol:

Guest carlsbadrolex

[censored] em if they cant take a joke...

And in my humble opinion, the joke is on them!

Ive owned most of the gens that they claim to love so dearly. And Ive sold almost all of them. WHY? Because I really dont feel they are worth the money that was spent on them.

If I can sell one gen and buy 4 "super reps" great.

[censored] em if they cant take a joke...

And in my humble opinion, the joke is on them!

Ive owned most of the gens that they claim to love so dearly. And Ive sold almost all of them. WHY? Because I really dont feel they are worth the money that was spent on them.

If I can sell one gen and buy 4 "super reps" great.

i was going to say that, so, i guess, - ditto

i think there are definitely watches that are amazing and worth several thousand - but, i would say 90% of all high end watches are BS inflated pricing - and people are buying names

or buying the sales pitch -- as pointed out by robbie.

By the way i usually wear polo shirts "To work" so to speak, and people ask me why i don't wear suits- and, its because, the people that i know that are really rich - i.e. own 3 gets - a G4, G3 and a hawker - and others, they don't dress fancy, in fact, they are usually trying to downplay their status.

basically the people that flaunt it, are usually the people that don't have it. :)

I disagree wholeheartedly with this. I own almost a dozen gens myself and visit those forums, but my behavior is nothing like this. I just love watches, but I am the exception rather than the rule. Of course, I'm not rich on the level which you speak of though. But I do hang with a lot of them. People who hand on watch forums - gen or rep - do not represent the respective owners of each group of watch buyers as a whole. We are all the exception.

When I meet friends and clients at golf clubs and on yachts and private jets there has never been one time that any of them noticed or commented on my watch, nor did I on theirs. Many of these guys wear Day-Dates and with them a lack of watch saavy is to be expected, but many also wear VC, AP, Patek, Lange, etc. In other words, most high end watch owners actually don't buy watches for status symbols, they buy them because they happen to be sold where they shop for jewelry in most cases. I know a guy who owns a VC Malte Chrono in Platinum and not only can he not pronounce the name, he refers to the hands as "arms". He also just got a new Ferrari 430 and when I asked him how many horses it had he couldn't tell me. I think you see my point. People who buy expensive gens are WAY past the point financially of seeing a watch as a way to impress friends. These guys need to own their own Gulfstream 5 or a 148ft Fedship to do that. Oh, and they have never even heard of TZ or WYS either...

From my experience, most wealthy people come across watches while shopping for diamonds for thier wife. Seriously. They are on Rodeo window shopping and after buying a 100K necklace, they mosey over to the watch counter. They don't know much about the watch brands other than "Yeah, Patek is supposed to be good", or whatever and then the salesmen proceeds to sell them the watch. This is how all the major brands sell the majority of thier watches. They count on it. Most watch companies would tell you they don't even like the big watch stores as they can't ove the high end stock as fast a as jewelry store (Rolex may be the exception here though). Stores that really DO sell 100K necklaces are the best place to sell a 30K watch to the husband - not Tourneau. Plus, he has and excuse to buy somethinng expensive, but justified since it costs way less than what the wife got. LOL. They try them on while the wife is getting fitted. Just another Sunday shopping experience. So over the years they accumulate several nice pieces this way, but unlike us here, they don't seek out watches. The watches find them.

thats all well and good, but whats your position on replica yachts then? :D :D

Just to finish off. Thats exactly why i wrote gen owners who visit the gen forums. The really rich people never have a clue, and they dont really care either. Im talking about the watch purists here.

Oh, sorry, I must have misunderstood then. Yes, the real rich could care less. The watch purists (supposed) are the snobs for sure.

I was thinking about annual production recently and known owners who post at just TZ by forum. Lange makes around 7K watches a year and therehave probably only been a dozen purists who post them on that brand forum. They are very snobby over there and literally act like they are reps for the factory when you PM them questions, etc. Anyway, it just makes you wonder who the other 6,988 watch buyers from last year are. Believe me, I would love to post that and see what they answer...

Just to finish off. Thats exactly why i wrote gen owners who visit the gen forums. The really rich people never have a clue, and they dont really care either. Im talking about the watch purists here.

Yup. I remember when I first went into business when I was a kid it was a hard lesson to learn. You go an pick clients up at the airport and you are trying to figure out how to spot the billionaire. I still can't. Actually, I'm getting better though. He is usually the guy without designer clothes and the black plastic Casio watch looking impatient...

...they don't dress fancy, in fact, they are usually trying to downplay their status.

basically the people that flaunt it, are usually the people that don't have it. :)

Dear WUS readers,

Welcome to the Forum. Please have a look around and, if you don't like it, don't come back. However, I think you'll find most of us are quite reasonable people who share your enthusiasm for watches. You'll see we're not into selling our replicas as genuine watches on eBay or anything like that; the only people we're deceiving are ourselves, and there's no harm in that.

Stick around, you will definitely learn something.

ps. Rolex's lawyers are aware of this site. The site is just about discussing counterfeits on their own merits and as such it infringes as much on trademarks as every watch site does. We're not passing off as the genuine article here.

Just because someone can afford a 10k watch doesn't mean they have any taste or understanding of value.

Or that they`re rich... the only gen owners that i see are in uproar over reps is the guys who saved for a long time, finally bought an Omega or Sub or something and actually thinks it makes them special. Then they see the $300 rep and, WTF? I am not special after all, buu, down with reps!

Nerds!

Yes. I think both yours and Fakey's are excellent observations...

Or that they`re rich... the only gen owners that i see are in uproar over reps is the guys who saved for a long time, finally bought an Omega or Sub or something and actually thinks it makes them special. Then they see the $300 rep and, WTF? I am not special after all, buu, down with reps!

Nerds!

If they're that worried, it probably was a fake yacht :lol:
Don't laugh TOO loud!!

A few yrs back, it wasn't uncommon for Asian yacht builders to "knock off" successful pleasure yacht hull designs...EG.."Newport Yachts" which had the legendary" C&C RedLine 41'" racing yacht reproduced in Taiwan as the "Newport 41"...And that was 25+ years ago!!

I can recall being aboard a "Shannon" yacht at the Annapolis boat show, when a hoard of Asian folks descended into the cabin area, with their Nikon's blazing away!!...They took close up shots of virtually every square inch of the construction details....The "mirror slap" racket was deafening!!...LOL :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Don't laugh TOO loud!!

A few yrs back, it wasn't uncommon for Asian yacht builders to "knock off" successful pleasure yacht hull designs...EG.."Newport Yachts" which had the legendary" C&C RedLine 41'" racing yacht reproduced in Taiwan as the "Newport 41"...And that was 25+ years ago!!

I can recall being aboard a "Shannon" yacht at the Annapolis boat show, when a hoard of Asian folks descended into the cabin area, with their Nikon's blazing away!!...They took close up shots of virtually every square inch of the construction details....The "mirror slap" racket was deafening!!...LOL :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Fantastic :thumbsupsmileyanim: Thanks for sharing the story :good:

Frankt, TeeJay, the replica yacht thing is a common issue. Look at the Hinkley picknick boat. There are dozens of yards building boat of that style now. And Hinkley did not even start it, they copied designs from the 1950s by Raymond Bunker. Some turkish yards reproduce the style of Princess yachts in an excellent way, with great attention to quality and details. However, they don

Edited by Fish

Oh my god, we should be ashamed of ourselfs to wear reps :o . No seriously, even if I could buy all the gens, I would like to have, in my opinion, the reps are much more worth its price then the majority of the gens . But this is my opinion and another discussion.

Edited by aliates88

i teach in an inner-city high school. to me, those who can afford to collect replica watches are far and above those who can't even afford to food on the table much less those who buy yachts and jets. i personally have a couple of replicas because i think they look great and i like the idea of having a mechanical watch on my wrist. i'd take a rolex if offered to me, but the monetary value placed on some of these things are unspeakable and in my opinion, robbery.

i think those in the upper-middle class forget too easily that there are people struggling to make ends meat. (mind you they're bush republicans, so who's surprised?) if people have enough time to criticize those who collect watches that look like theirs, they've got either too much time on their hands or a problem with vanity. i'm fairly sure i saw the word ''wannabe'' in there somewhere. its hard for me to wrap my head around people like that.

Its funny I baby my reps way more then my gen Yachtmaster or Breitling because I know these watches can take it. reps are more delicate so I treat them with more care espically my HBB's. As for Panerai I baby gen and rep alike!. I will say this I dont think I am the only one to buy a rep first (pam 005) to see how I like it before dropping $$$$ on the gen.

The rep haters out there are just snobs!

I've owned many gens, and the argument is usually "They're expensive, but you'll get your money back on the back end when you sell them". Well, so far I've given them all away to my sons. I've given up about 20 g's in gens. Why am I interested in reps? I like the aesthetics (design), I can actually work on them w/o fear of screwing them up and my pocket book royally, new Rolex's are all about branding excusivity. Not priced anywhere near the value. I remember back in '71, you could get a new Rolex sub for 328 dollars at the China Fleet Club in Hong Kong. Not anymore. You guys are a great class of people and VERY knowledgable. Keep rockin'...

One other thing. I remember my first dive w/ my Rollie SD. Banged it against the tank and never wore it in the water again. Seiko from then on.

I would challenge those forums who question the validity of this site to consider the class antagonism that veils their so-called "purity." I have known many great owners of both gens and reps and the thing that makes me respect a person is their passion and their knowledge. To that end, this forum is a site dedicated to the rich history and culture of watchmaking, seen from people who have clearly not taken it for granted, regardless of status or political identity. For this reason, this community is bound by an affiliation to one another based on something valuable, something that cretins who pay far too much for their timepieces and boorishly pass it off as their birthright or entitlement would rarely understand. Fitzgerald once called this the "engine of hate."

These forums are for watch love. Save your hate for contempt and obscene forms of class antagonism.