When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Biggest watch disappointment?

By-Tor

Sadly, a vintage Single Red Seadweller from MBK. Saw this in pictures, and had to have it. Got it, and felt zilch. I still have the watch, and try really hard to love it, but it does absolutely nothing for me in the flesh. Now when I even see the pictures, I'm not sure what I found appealing to begin with.

Now my V5 DSSD on the other hand...that makes my heart beat a bit faster. The girlfriend figures its because the DSSD resembles the SRSD, and effectively I got a punier version of the same watch - actually her first words when she saw the SRSD were "Dont you already have that one?". Who knows...

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love my railmaster XXL, a guy at work told me yesterday "Flava Flav called and wants his necklace back!"

CIMG0018.jpg

the biggest disappointed for me was the noobmariner as well, for all the reasons listed, too cheap feeling. I do have two other rollies now, which i love, the Milgauss GV and the GMTIIc

DSC02135.jpg

DSC01855.jpg

both great watches!

Quite a few so I will list them in order of 'never wear' to 'might wear'.

I'm talkin' genuine here but the same goes for replicas.

1. Panerai sized watches (not panerai in particular), especially on metal bracelets. They are just too big for me to do anything while wearing one other than doze off while watching TV.

Started out with a Kienzle Atlantis (UT 6497) 10 years ago. Should have stopped with it.

I hung it on the wall. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

2. Rolex submariner. Can not get used to seeing one (genuine?/replica?/hommage?) on every other guy I see...it's like Groundhog Day all over again.

I can not wear one out of the house without a couple Roche 10.

3. Breitling chronographs. Never liked them with the goofy little screws on the bezel just waiting to get knocked off.

I sometimes imagine seeing the screws on sidewalks and restaurant floors...along with assorted submariner bezels.

4. IWC...An Eta is an Eta.

Rather have one in a $200 watch.

5. Patek Philippe. Fragile as a baby's breath.

Who wants a watch that breaks when you sneeze? Or faaart. =@

note:

Replica Pateks are a lot tougher than genuines in my experience.

The list could go on...

My easiest watch to put up with:

1980's tutone Ebel Classic Wave on a strap...small (33.5mm x 5.0mm), light (30g), quartz (Eta), two hands (count 'em), cheap (I paid $40 for it), no date (it's the year I am always fuzzy on). :animal_rooster:

I carry it in my pocket. :animal_rooster:

I've had two. The first was the much hyped and anticipated V5 DSSD and I just had to have one. I think I wore it outside the homestead a whole 2 or 3 times! It felt like I had secured a hockey puck to my wrist with a shoestring and it went to live with somebody else.

wrist.JPG

The second was the "Orange Hand" Explorer. Dial way to busy and it looked "cartoonish". I'm glad it was a cheap one as I don't think I ever wore it outside where anybody could see me...

OH Exp II 1.jpg

• 1 year later...

Good thread... interesting and funny some times.

For me - speaking of reps or gens... my biggest disappointment came with my most expensive watch - the JLC Chrono.

Felt solid but ended up having an issue (under warranty but still was disconcerting)... looked great but the hands where polished silver and disappeared too much. Bracelet was great. For it's size - just felt too heavy.

Oddly, I was also disappointed with the gen IWC 3714-01. Don't shoot me!!! It was actaully a nice watch... I just think I'd come to expect too much. I think I'd NOT be disappointed with the same watch in Panda.

Favorite gen to date - Omega Speedy Moonwatch ... followed closely by the Omega AT.

Best rep - hmmm... my next one!

Seriously,... either the Franken TC Sub I got (and sold) from Justasgood (it was a very solid watch that felt great on the wrist)... or, my Franken 3717... this feels great (a tad too heavy but great) and love the additional darkness and finess of the gen dial.

Yacht-Master is another Rolex that never grabbed me.

I just recently visited the local Rolex AD and tried many models on. I tried a YM just to see if my opinions of it has changed. But no... it just created a "blah" effect when I strapped it on. It's a "metrosexual" version of Submariner. :D

The new Sub was OK but I wouldn't trade it for a 16610 in a million years.

For me it was when I bought a gen Sinn U2. Wore it like 4 times and not so much. Also any Pam, although I really like them in pictures, they just don't last. I do want a 187 or a 196, but I'm sure it will be up on the sales forum shortly thereafter.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I had a gen Tissot PRS516. I did never fall in good mood. I had plans of selling it, but by some reason I replaced the strap with another... Black leather in stead fo brown. That really made it a new watch! Then the Tissot turned out to be among the favorites!

Another story is my nice full size UPO! It was a great favorite that I was wearing a lot! Then I had an examination of my stomach at the hospital. They managed to destroy something down there, and I lost 20kg in a year… Then the sad part; A full size UPO became too large for my wrist… Now it is hardly used! I had it on for a few days a month ago. Still too large. Before that, it had not been used for more than a year… unfortunately….

8-)

Wow we've revived this thread!!

The one for me is the DSSD. I tried on a gen about 10 times before I bought a super duper BK/PBdad. The size concerned me. I love this watch. It's beautiful in pics and everyone that wears one looks like a million bucks.

I got over the size thing and ordered one. I loved it...in the box. On my wrist, it's a beast! I sold it.

Got the bug again. Ordered another one. It's still big even though I have put on a few pounds!! Now, I wear it in my rotation. It's my go-to watch for a t-shirt day. Even my PAMs look small compared to this thing.

I just wish it was 40mm.

It is a pity, but some watches, that unfortunately are made in a "big" size, are not the real thing in smaler sizes...

Then those of us, who like them, but not in size large, might have to live with that...

"Like it or not!"

(as Mike Rutherford sang)

... for us it will be; "Like it..."

8-)

AfrikaansAlbanianArabicArmenianAzerbaijaniBasqueBelarusianBulgarianCatalanChinese (Simplified)Chinese (Traditional)CroatianCzechDanishDetect languageDutchEnglishEstonianFilipinoFinnishFrenchGalicianGeorgianGermanGreekHaitian CreoleHebrewHindiHungarianIcelandicIndonesianIrishItalianJapaneseKoreanLatinLatvianLithuanianMacedonianMalayMalteseNorwegianPersianPolishPortugueseRomanianRussianSerbianSlovakSlovenianSpanishSwahiliSwedishThaiTurkishUkrainianUrduVietnameseWelshYiddishAfrikaansAlbanianArabicArmenianAzerbaijaniBasqueBelarusianBulgarianCatalanChinese (Simplified)Chinese (Traditional)CroatianCzechDanishDutchEnglishEstonianFilipinoFinnishFrenchGalicianGeorgianGermanGreekHaitian CreoleHebrewHindiHungarianIcelandicIndonesianIrishItalianJapaneseKoreanLatinLatvianLithuanianMacedonianMalayMalteseNorwegianPersianPolishPortugueseRomanianRussianSerbianSlovakSlovenianSpanishSwahiliSwedishThaiTurkishUkrainianUrduVietnameseWelshYiddish

Detect language » Norwegian