When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Biggest watch disappointment?

By-Tor

That makes two of us :D To this day, I still can't put my finger on why I actually didn't like it. ...For the VCO, I can't do that. I can only say "I didn't like it..." but with absolutely no explanation or justification as to why :lol:

I feel that way about the VCO too. I see the pics, and it looks to have a nice balance and clean design...but I think for me, I'll always see VCs as associated with amazing skeleton tourbillons, and fantastic lunar complications...extremely sophisticated and classy watches, and having a sport model with a modern font although extremely well crafted just doesn't seem right.

It's kind of like Porsche making great sports cars...but the Cayenne line just seems wrong...when the only real SUV is an early year Landcruiser, or a Rover Defender 90. ;)

It's a great performing and classy car...but, who is really going to hunt for the Jade Monkey through the jungles of Mayanmar in one??

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Surprisingly, the only watch that left me a little disappointed was the Breitling SFSO. Not that it isn't one of the best reps out there, its just that it did nothing for me when I put it on my wrist. I like it better on rubber or leather, but it has been relegated to being my "water" watch, and I hardly ever wear it.

Likewise, I wasn't impressed by it at all. I tried on a gen, and just didn't like it at all. At the time, I felt that the size of the dial, was too small in comparison to the size of the case itself, almost like putting a Submariner dial, in a Planet Ocean case :lol: I admit, a gorgeous watch, but one I didn't like once it was on my wrist, so I knew not to even think about buying a rep of it ;)

Without a doubt the biggest disappointment for me was the Planet Ocean, for a number of reasons.

Firstly it was way to big for my 6.75 wrist. Not only that... it just didn't FEEL right.

I own and wear watches that are larger, but the case, bracelet and lugs on the PO just weren't right for me. Got rid of it immediately, and never regretted it. It LOOKS like a great watch, but wasn't.

Can't win em all.

As the title suggests: What was your biggest rep disappointment?

Rolex Daytona - I had always wanted one and shopped around for a good rep, but when I wore it it just looked cheezy.

Like I was a mob boss or the owner of an adult book store.

Now even when I see a gen I wonder what I saw in it, and I'm darned glad that I didn't blow $$$ on a gen.

BTW - the opposite is My Breitling Bentley GT - a watch that looked good online and looks better every day I wear it. I rarely wear anything else now.

Without a doubt the biggest disappointment for me was the Planet Ocean, for a number of reasons.

Firstly it was way to big for my 6.75 wrist. Not only that... it just didn't FEEL right.

I own and wear watches that are larger, but the case, bracelet and lugs on the PO just weren't right for me. Got rid of it immediately, and never regretted it. It LOOKS like a great watch, but wasn't.

Can't win em all.

I agree about the planet ocean for the same reasons. I got rid of mine after a few weeks and got instead the IWC 3717 which is great.

For me it was the PAM 183 - Radiomir Black Seal. I loved the picture but when I got it I just did not like it. I tried other straps but nothing helped. It sits in my watch box with a gator strap and stairs back at me. Like others, don't know exactly why.

I have an LV Sub that is just a great looking little watch but when I put it on the feeling goes away. Probably the size for this one as I usually like larger watches. Still, I like to look at it so it too, sits in my watch box.

Usil

Edited by Usil

Nice thread...like this alot

anyhow. biggest dissapointment was the SFSO. Just like andrew said it feels something missing.....damn. have it polished now. maybee that will do

Also a gen Omega seamaster quartz. BIG BIG disapoinment as my rep Omega feels better =))

Surprising how one can be dissapointed with the SOSF. Maybe try the rubber strap, I think it's the best option. I agree the SSB is terrible. I had it already on SSB (too heavy) and leather (uncomfortable).

post-9647-1221836712_thumb.jpg

I feel that way about the VCO too. I see the pics, and it looks to have a nice balance and clean design...but I think for me, I'll always see VCs as associated with amazing skeleton tourbillons, and fantastic lunar complications...extremely sophisticated and classy watches, and having a sport model with a modern font although extremely well crafted just doesn't seem right.

It's kind of like Porsche making great sports cars...but the Cayenne line just seems wrong...when the only real SUV is an early year Landcruiser, or a Rover Defender 90. ;)

It's a great performing and classy car...but, who is really going to hunt for the Jade Monkey through the jungles of Mayanmar in one??

That's an interesting perspective :) I totally understand what you mean :) Personally, I wasn't over familiar with the history or other designs of VC, so I was just viewing it 'as a watch', but it still just 'wasn't doing it' for me :)

I echoed with Teejay and Toad on this. I have a VCO, black dial, maybe it was the first gen, 40mm, got it lumed by zigman even, and wore a few times, and just didn't feel that passionate about it. I don't know if some of the inaccuracy was bothering me or not, namely the size, and the buckle. But it just didn't feel right. I think it may have felt slightly smaller, and just was not impressed.

The other would be my Cartier Santos 100, got that lumed too by The Zigmeister, and just does not feel very comfortable on my wrist. and I still have it. ETA movement and all, and now it just sits in the watchbox. anybody want to buy a santos? ;)

Guest shura110
I echoed with Teejay and Toad on this. I have a VCO, black dial, maybe it was the first gen, 40mm, got it lumed by zigman even, and wore a few times, and just didn't feel that passionate about it. I don't know if some of the inaccuracy was bothering me or not, namely the size, and the buckle. But it just didn't feel right. I think it may have felt slightly smaller, and just was not impressed.

The other would be my Cartier Santos 100, got that lumed too by The Zigmeister, and just does not feel very comfortable on my wrist. and I still have it. ETA movement and all, and now it just sits in the watchbox. anybody want to buy a santos? ;)

If you are looking to sell it let me know, as someone I know looking for one.

Thanks

the one that disappointed me the most (what was i thinking??!??) was the titanium AMG ingy chrono. extremely accurate watch, but it was just too blah for me. too much titanium :yuk:

plus, i should have known better buying a watch with the seconds at six 7750 movement :bangin: thank goodness i sold it before it became an ugly paperweight :lol:

dsc00249fl3.jpg

deltatahoe

Panerai - I got my 1st just before 9/11 & wore it for about 6 months (during which I got a 2nd that I did not keep either), but always thought it looked like some type of heart monitor or test gauge & it made me feel like I was walking around yelling, 'Hey, look at my BIG watch!!!!!!!!' Interesting history & I always liked the connection with Rolex (in their early days), but just not for me.

Also enjoy the topic !

For me it's also the MBW 1680,... There was such a build up to them, like an orchestra with a full violin section,

everyone was raving about them, the cost was high which added to the suspense, not to mention that it was coming from the famous MBW.... :o

It took a while to arrive to my post office, and when it did I dropped everything I was doing and rushed over...

After I frantically tore open the package however, the excitement deflated as fast as pin in a helium balloon.

I just couldn't understand the allure,... it simply looked cheap from the plastic crystal to bland & boring dial,..

When I put it on I hated it even more,.. that little triangular case sitting high & dry on my wrist like a boat

stranded on land, it

For me it's a Submariner (modern)... modded, out of box or gen. Don't know why it just never calls me. The SSD comes close to this too.... lucky thing I swapped the insert immediately after I got the rep.

On the other hand, gimme a vintage Sub/SD Rolex and I will think totally the opposite.

The Breitling Flying B,only because the gen is as awesome as a watch gets,and the rep speed bracelet does not cut it for me as usual with rep Breitling bracelets,so i bought a gen croco strap (big $) for the rep B and i must say that Breitling makes an extremely uncomfortable strap....croco or calf,bothered my wrist as its as stiff as wood,i have owned 3 gen straps,all wood.

Big bucks put into that rep ($1100 with the strap) and it was a no go.

So i guess that would be frustrating...... ;)

Two for me in realtively recent times - one gen, one rep. First was the 45.5MM UPO. This was of course the best version of the Planet Ocean and it is a great rep. But I just felt the size was wrong and an afterthought for the brand. I got the gen 42MM and it is perfect, but as good as the rep is I wish I could have just done the lume and double AR as the rest of the rep is plenty good enough - just the wrong size. Next was the GMTIIC. I got the gen as I was impressed with the fit, finish and feel as compared with classic Rollie sports watches. Once I had it it stopped knocking me out almost immediately. Left me flat and I sold it. I still may get the IHS rep though which seems great and everyone raves about the quality - as long as you don't get the crappy movement. It is alot easier to love for <$300 than it is for 6K+...

I agree about 45mm UPO. Great rep... just too big watch.

GMT IIc is extremely accurate. As a watch it can never match the classic versions of the GMT Master (1675 and 16710). But all Rolex fans should own this rep because it's so damn nicely done.

5.jpg

The lume on the GEN VCO was already pretty good....I had a gen, sold it after 2 years.

Total wrist time 2 wedding dinner. Sold it for 2.3k. I still have the box that I put stationeries in it. Some guy on ebay offered me $150.