When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Are you a watch collector or "wearer"?

By-Tor

Are you a watch collector or "wearer"?  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Collector or wearer?

• Collector
    • Wearer

I've always wondered this... how many of us collect and keep watches that they rarely wear?

I've always tried to resist becoming a collector, but lately I've noticed that I simply can't sell any of my remaining watches... and I had to break my 8 watches "rule limit".

Still... I definitely don't want to own more than 10 watches, I want to wear them all regularly. It's some kind of weird principle to me... I guess I'm kind of a practical person. I've always traded all the watches that won't get any wrist time. I've had some really nice ones that I wouldn't mind still owning, but then again I have never regretted selling any of them. There was always a reason for the trade.

So I'm definitely a "wearer".

Which are you?

Discuss.

I'd say I'm a bit of both. I try to keep my collection/rotation to about 10 watches, but there are a few watches, like a few of my Doxas for example, that I hardly wear but would never sell.

BTW, this goes for both reps and gens. On the rep side I don't wear the Graham CF much, but I don't think I'll ever sell her.

Good answer. I guess most of us are a bit of both, really.

Where to draw the line, that's interesting. I think all people who own more than 15 watches are serious collectors.

I don't know anybody really, who wears more than 1 watch per limb...but you can certainly wear 1 watch PER limb. So, if you any have more watches than you have appendages...it means you're a collector to a certain degree because some watches will be at home in the box.

For Men, that's >5. :p

So, if you any have more watches than you have appendages...it means you're a collector to a certain degree because some watches will be at home in the box.

Yeah, you have a point. But we're watch geeks, we have different standards... we even have people who own 100+ watches.

My 8-10 watch "collection" is NOTHING compared to those, so in that sense I can hardly call myself a "collector".

The only ones I rotate on dialy wear now are the vintage Rolex's that has been to Ziggy ... but I like to take the others out and wear them on occasion..

so I guess I would say a little of both.. I jus love to look at the ones I don't wear from time to time..

Yes.. I have a problem B)

I currently own 23 watches. Only wear 3 or 4.

I suppose that makes me a collector. I have no plans to sell the 20 that I never wear.

I guess that I feel as though I will wear all of them whenever the feeling moves me.

Even though 20 sit in my cases unworn, I still love them all.

If the MBK PP Nautilus had never been repped, who knows...the mix might have been a bit more diverse.

I'm a bit of both too I guess.

I'm probably more a collector of gens for the mere fact I have several that I never wear and definitely more a wearer of my reps/frankens, which is currently 8 with 2 projects in the (very slow) works.

I'm a bit more fickle with my PAM's as I am now down to only 2 (dumped 2 in the last few months) but vintage Rolex is where my heart is -who knew! :rolleyes:.

DSCN5011-1.jpg

Interresting question.

Difficult answer though.

I still have around 30 watches allthough I sold a lot shortly after getting them.

I wouldn't mind getting rid of the ones I trully never wear.

So, I'm more a wearer in this case.

But with around 15 Rolex, gens and frankens, I guess I'm a collector too as I can't really wear them all regularly.

I notice something though:

- some evenings, when at home, I like to wear a watch I usualy never wear outside like the Single Red or a Pam.

- I also have periods where I suddenly wear "the unworn ones" during a week or so.

I guess I'm a wearor :D

Both.

I think that anyone with more than 2 working watches, is, by default, a collector since, at any given time, at least 1 watch will always be sitting idle while the other is being worn. I also have some watches that I never wear because they are not my style, but I can appreciate their beauty from afar. The new Rolex Deepsea is 1 of the watches that (once I acquire it) will fall into this latter category.

I guess I'd have to call myself a collector, although I have a habit of wearing my PAMs more than anything else. I love to be a completist, and part of me likes to have representations of the history of watchmaking. It's my own personal museum, and I love it. I too find myself wearing my case fraus as one member here calls them. I wear them around the house sometimes. It's a great freaking hobby, man. A passion, really.

I'm a wearer all the way. Any which are not getting wristtime are sold. I suppose I can't be a collector as the ones that are not worn sit on a shelf in my room collecting dust, (there is no display cabinet where I can 'admire their beauty) :p So I don't see the point in that.

Before I used to care about every little scratch or mark that would show up on the bracelets, now I can't stand every single one of them looking new :lol: so want to age them through wear.

On another note, my best bud is not into reps but has one of the foremost gen collections I have ever seen (probably in the world I would think but I wouldn't know). Anyway, over $1M worth and over 100 pieces now. It is just silly to me though and I tell him so all the time. He has a huge walk in closet in his master bedroom with a "watch island" in the middle which is a giant built in with a flat top and drawers on both sides custom made with individual watch pillows for the manuals and a Scatola 64 in the other room for the autos. Impressive but silly. He doesn't even know what he has. I mean we go watch shopping and he will find a piece and say, "Wow, I really like this" and I will say, "Dude, you have the same watch with a different dial..." He just loses track. He just has so much f'n money he has no idea what to do with it. I wouldn't mind having that problem but I wouldn't do that that is for sure. Makes no sense to me. Meanwhile, he always wears the same few pieces and they are not what you would expect from a collector like him. I see him with his Tag Carerra on rubber as much as anything - or a TT Cartier Roadster - yuk. But then he has these sicko pieces from de Bethune and Corum Golden Bridges in all three metals and collector edition Vacheron's and Dewitt Academias and AP RO chronos in several dial combos, etc. and they have literally never been on his wrist since taking them home from the AD a year ago. I just don't get it...

Not that there is anything wrong with "collecting" but I think to be meaningful it just has to have some limits or at least some kind of theme...