When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

End of Week Wristcheck

RobbieG

I'm taking the day off tomorrow for the first time in a hundred years, so I thought I would celebrate by starting my very first wristcheck thread. Hopefully my fellow friends from the old guard that usually post it won't mind.

MMD for Friday...

UNwrist2.jpg

UN12r.jpg

and AT for Saturday - my favorite casual sports watch of all time. Light as a feather and the matte Ti dresses down so nicely...

Aquatimerwrist.jpg

AT3.jpg

RobbieG,

Nice looking Ulisse Nardin! Is that a rep or a gen? If a rep - who is selling this one?

PS: Never mind, just noticed your signature with the gen MMD mentioned. Nice one! I wish they could make a nice rep of it... (or of any UN - there are no decent reps of UN at all)...

Thank you. Yes, there is a nice UN rep coming - probably by years end, but it not this watch from what I hear. My confidence is high that it will be a nice so called 1:1 level piece.

RobbieG,

Nice looking Ulisse Nardin! Is that a rep or a gen? If a rep - who is selling this one?

PS: Never mind, just noticed your signature with the gen MMD mentioned. Nice one! I wish they could make a nice rep of it... (or of any UN - there are no decent reps of UN at all)...

Thanks Stephane. I will probably PM you for some suggestions and a point or two in the right direction if that is OK...

Oh, I'm the modest owner and wearer, so my expertise is very limited. ;)

Some friends here are Rolex Gurus and I'm only their pupil!

But, I have my own opinion of course: accurancy in the various parts is not important (because of RSC replacements) and scratches are A MUST. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

How the hell could a 40 years old watch look as new as the latest Rolex one buy from an AD today? :o

Agreed, although you could also approach it the other way and truly build a "new" replica to pay homage to the vintage piece and then sort of go out of your way to tell others about it as a project to build a new old stock version of something old. But you are right, if the idea is to recreate a vintage piece as if it were truly an old gen, the detail in the aging is critical. In any event, I am most interested in doing a project that will accept gen parts as I think some of those (as in the modern Subs) are a vast improvement in my eyes - such as gen crystals and inserts fro example - although I'm not sure what is available for vintage pieces and if the cost is prohibitive or not. I think I should probably start by picking Tribal's brain if he will let me...

Oh, I'm the modest owner and wearer, so my expertise is very limited. ;)

Some friends here are Rolex Gurus and I'm only their pupil!

But, I have my own opinion of course: accurancy in the various parts is not important (because of RSC replacements) and scratches are A MUST. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

How the hell could a 40 years old watch look as new as the latest Rolex one buy from an AD today? :o

Agreed, although you could also approach it the other way and truly build a "new" replica to pay homage to the vintage piece and then sort of go out of your way to tell others about it as a project to build a new old stock version of something old. But you are right, if the idea is to recreate a vintage piece as if it were truly an old gen, the detail in the aging is critical. In any event, I am most interested in doing a project that will accept gen parts as I think some of those (as in the modern Subs) are a vast improvement in my eyes - such as gen crystals and inserts fro example - although I'm not sure what is available for vintage pieces and if the cost is prohibitive or not. I think I should probably start by picking Tribal's brain if he will let me...

If you like vintage try looking into the 1665 Sea Dweller. Do your homework and you will end up with a piece that is indistinguishable from the gen. I know because I have one and I was comparing it to a gen in an exclusive London collectors window (David Duggan) and I was amazed at how well my rep compared - besides I love the SD 1665 anyway.

Thank you. Yes, there is a nice UN rep coming - probably by years end, but it not this watch from what I hear. My confidence is high that it will be a nice so called 1:1 level piece.

Gen MMD. Schweeeeeeeeet :wub:

Nicest watch I've seen all week.

Yeah, I have to say - and I have had (and still do have) some nice watches in my day, but the UN Diver is just the nicest all around sports watch I have personally ever encountered. The build quality is just other worldly and surpasses all others in that respect IMO. Design wise that is a matter of preference, but for me I think UN does the marine theme better than anyone but of course that is subjective.

But I can honestly say that the build quality actually surpasses the gen VC Overseas and my AP Millenary (which I recently sold) and that is really saying something. Just running your hands across the bracelet will have you in awe. As another example, I LOVE LOVE LOVE the IWC bracelets like on my AT and it is amazing and wears great, but fit and finish between the two watches is no contest. The MMD makes the AT look and feel like a department store watch in comparison. Sorry to IWC and that isn't really a true knock as obviously I love my IWC or I wouldn't own it. But I can't impress enough that is really how nice the UN sports watches are. Just blinding in terms of fit and finish...

Gen MMD. Schweeeeeeeeet :wub:

Nicest watch I've seen all week.