When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What's your most complimented watch?

TeeJay

Not your favorite, nor one that gets compliments on forums from fellow watch enthusiasts, but when out in the wild, amongst the great unwashed uninitiated masses ( ;) ), do you have a particular watch which attracts genuine compliments more than any of the others? Not to become a topic on passing reps off as gens, or justifications for why we buy them, just a quiet chat on which piece in the collection tends to get more praise. As far as I'm concerned, we all buy the watches to amuse ourselves, not to impress others, and that's going to be the official line on this thread :lol:

I'll get the ball rolling, and it's without a doubt, my 029a. I don't think it's the best watch in my collection, indeed, I know that it isn't the best (in terms of replication) and it's not even one which sees much wrist time, although it is one of my favorites. But, it is the only watch which people ( by which I mean women ;)B) ) have commented on in a complimentary way, without any kind of prompting or other watch-related chat, regardless of it being rep or gen. I haven't had a guy compliment it in a totally off the cuff way, but it has gotten the attention of the ladies B)

47df9052.jpg

DSCN3569.jpg

IMGP1049.jpg

DSCN0068.jpg

DSCN0145.jpg

These days, I tend to wear my chick magnet watches :p. The Armani below is a chick magnet, I've had several compliments on it being a sexy watch:

ar0156-1.jpg

So are these:

smp017.jpg

Rado-Sintra-Jubile-1.jpg

Picture018.jpg

Those're all slick watches, bro :good: Would you say there was one which got more compliments than the others?

Those're all slick watches, bro :good: Would you say there was one which got more compliments than the others?

Thanks bro :) I've worn the Armani the most outside the house, so that one has got more comments than the others. However to make it a fair 'test', I would have to give the others the same amount of wrist time, and then see which ones get the most ;)

From my experience, anything shiny/blingy will catch the attention of young attractive females ;)

Thanks bro :) I've worn the Armani the most outside the house, so that one has got more comments than the others. However to make it a fair 'test', I would have to give the others the same amount of wrist time, and then see which ones get the most ;)

From my experience, anything shiny/blingy will catch the attention of young attractive females ;)

:lol: You're not wrong there, bro :lol:

That said, the second woman who complimented the 029a wasn't really 'young', but she was still definitely in the 'would' catagory :lol: I mean, sure, it's nice for people to know about watches, or appreciate them, but when someone just says "That's a nice watch," totally out of the blue, without any kind of pretense or agenda, it's a nice feeling. I just found it amusing that the times it's happened to me, it's been the same watch, so wondered if others had had similar experiences of a particular watch getting more compliments than others :)

For me it would have to be this one it gets compliments from a lot of different people not just the youg ladies but also the older ones too. You guys are right is a great feeling when you get the compliment with out anything attached to it.

e7790b7b.jpg

People don't seem to say anything about my watches (even the Panny) except the Glycine on steel bracelet. It gets the most stares, comments and compliments but usually "what does it do besides tell the time" or "geez, what kinda watch is that?". Probably just more noticeable because of the size and all the shiny steel (and they are thinking it looks ridiculous) Its more of a travel utility anyway which serves my purposes very well.

WristG7.jpg

I'd say it would have to be my Hublot Big Bang although most of the time people think its the AP ROO

That doesn't surprise me (that it gets attention) as the HBB is a very eye-catching watch :)

For me it would have to be this one it gets compliments from a lot of different people not just the youg ladies but also the older ones too. You guys are right is a great feeling when you get the compliment with out anything attached to it.

e7790b7b.jpg

Again, I am not surprised. That watch is just class on a strap. :good:

People don't seem to say anything about my watches (even the Panny) except the Glycine on steel bracelet. It gets the most stares, comments and compliments but usually "what does it do besides tell the time" or "geez, what kinda watch is that?". Probably just more noticeable because of the size and all the shiny steel (and they are thinking it looks ridiculous) Its more of a travel utility anyway which serves my purposes very well.

WristG7.jpg

And that, is indeed unique, I'm not surprised it gets compliments :):good: Before we left Spain, I saw a similar watch in a store which had several dials like that, but it was in a huge case about the size and shape of a pack of smokes :)

This one. No question. It is relatively unique in terms of the particular dial version in general. But the main reason may be that I can't think of any other regular contributing member who has a UN. Gen-wise lots of members have Rolex's, Breitlings, Omegas, PAM's, TAG's, etc. but not any UN's I know of. I'm sure that is the main reason it gets props although it deserves them just for being pretty and certainly the best built sports watch I have ever seen, touched, or owned. But in the wild it is the same thing. People never quite know what it is without a closer look - and they either ask outright or swoop in to try to get a look. It happens at my health club a lot with this one guy. I used to think he was maybe gay or something as I would catch him looking at me in the locker room. Then one day I realized he was just a WIS and looking at my UN. Oh well, this thread is another excuse to celebrate it by posting photos. LOL...

UN12r.jpg

UN9r.jpg

UN1r.jpg

UN2r.jpg

This one. No question. It is relatively unique in terms of the particular dial version in general. But the main reason may be that I can't think of any other regular contributing member who has a UN. Gen-wise lots of members have Rolex's, Breitlings, Omegas, PAM's, TAG's, etc. but not any UN's I know of. I'm sure that is the main reason it gets props although it deserves them just for being pretty and certainly the best built sports watch I have ever seen, touched, or owned. But in the wild it is the same thing. People never quite know what it is without a closer look - and they either ask outright or swoop in to try to get a look. It happens at my health club a lot with this one guy. I used to think he was maybe gay or something as I would catch him looking at me in the locker room. Then one day I realized he was just a WIS and looking at my UN. Oh well, this thread is another excuse to celebrate it by posting photos. LOL...

UN12r.jpg

UN9r.jpg

UN1r.jpg

UN2r.jpg

That doesn't surprise me at all. That is a truly awesome watch. I'm a huge fan of dive watches, so I really ought to have one of those in my collection, but, I fear it's a little too 'flashy' compared to what I normally wear (PAMs being about as basic as one can get :lol: ) I've also had a hard time tracking down a decent rep of one... Maybe one day though :) I'm not sure what I like more, the texture of the dial, or the wave pattern of the bezel insert, but I do like it a lot :good:

dsc09238vf2.jpg

mdsc05756im6.jpg

Given your love of Pateks, do you think the TT gets more compliments because of the Rolex branding? I have to admit, I'd be interested in betting on the Nautilus being the nicer watch, but, thinking about it, might the Nautilus be so understated that it just slips under the radar and not attract the same attention?

I'm with BROM on this one, the BCE definitely gets the most compliments

evogreen2.jpg

There's definitely something about Breitlings which I can see people responding to :)

I find the Orange Monster does run a bit better if I give it encouraging smiles and nods. But I draw the line at coming right out and COMPLIMENTING it.

:lol:

How do the masses react to it? ;)

I get a lot of compliments on my Bentley GT. I wear it often, it's an attractive, if blingy watch. I've gotten a couple of good comments on my IWC 5002, mostly because you can't miss it. Beautiful watch. My Sea Dweller still makes me smile, but most people don't notice it. Steelfish is another one I just love to look at, but even on a great croc strap, it gets no love from others like the Bentley does.

Given your love of Pateks, do you think the TT gets more compliments because of the Rolex branding? I have to admit, I'd be interested in betting on the Nautilus being the nicer watch, but, thinking about it, might the Nautilus be so understated that it just slips under the radar and not attract the same attention?

The simple fact is location. I live in a really small "hick town" village where the great majority of people don't give a flying funk about watches or name-brands. My town is a "jeans and t-shirt" trailer trash "Ford F150 McDonalds for Dinner" kind of place. This watch is my flashiest and most "blingy", coupled with it being a Rolex, and I've had a few of compliments. Definitely more than any of my other watches that's for sure. Wearing something like a Nautilus or Aquanaut doesn't feel very rewarding here because outside of a few single digit enthusiasts the public-at-large will simply think it's a wall-mart discount special...

The iconic Newmans do instigate the occasional 'Wow, is that what I think it is?' inquiry, but, surprisingly, this VC always attracts the most (unsolicited) compliments & questions from strangers

greenvc20131.jpg

stripedsleeves0461.jpg

And, in 2nd place, the Mystery is notable as it rarely fails to draw eyeballs & hushed whispers in restaurants

table0561.jpg

lunch16010151.jpg

post-22-1224462197_thumb.jpg

I have to agree that not many people ever notice what watch I am wearing. Of the few that do mostly they say things like...Wow, ANOTHER watch, how many do you own?

Of the few compliments I have had a number have been from men (not chicks) that seem to like the

Pilot chrono 3717.

I have to agree.

@ freddy, do the hours jump on that one? I love it...

the wife comments most on my ingy. she thinks it is beautiful

the coworkers comment most on the upo on rubber... they just say it is so huge

had a number of girls on the train comment on the noobmariner. they just like rolex I think. one girl saw it, said to her boyfriend, thats a nice watch why dont you get one? he was wear a fossil...

Surprisingly, this one:

1.jpg

1.jpg

Young people like TAG and they're always impressed of the bulky and massive Aquaracer. SMP Chrono and SFSO have collected occasional compliments. But as with the others, maybe 1 out of 1000 people notice what I'm wearing. :)

Without any doubt, my most complicated watch is this one. IWC Da Vinci Rattrapante.

(reference 3754)

Specs:

IWC Kaliber C.79251

28.800 A/h

Perpetual calendar for the next 500 years!

Day

Date

Month

Four digit year display

Perpertual moon phase display

Split-seconds chronograph

Crown-activated rapid calendar advance

Size: 41,3mm x 16,5mm

PR: 44 hours

I think it

post-9210-1224499486_thumb.jpg

post-9210-1224499517_thumb.jpg

post-9210-1224499547_thumb.jpg

post-9210-1224499575_thumb.jpg

post-9210-1224499605_thumb.jpg

post-9210-1224499628_thumb.jpg

Without any doubt, my most complicated watch is this one. IWC Da Vinci Rattrapante.

(reference 3754)

Specs:

IWC Kaliber C.79251

28.800 A/h

Perpetual calendar for the next 500 years!

Day

Date

Month

Four digit year display

Perpertual moon phase display

Split-seconds chronograph

Crown-activated rapid calendar advance

Size: 41,3mm x 16,5mm

PR: 44 hours

I think it