When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

what do you say when people notice your watch?

fulanito_uk

What do you say?  

98 members have voted

1. 1. What do you say to workmates/friends that say "wow is that a Rolex?"

• yes it is real, you like it?
    • No its a Rep but a good one huh ;)
    • No its a Rep but I got the real one at home
    • I don't know, was a gift
    • you get good buys at Police auctions ;)

Mostly, I just say "Thanks". If it's more than just a passing compliment, and there is some genuine interest (because PAMs are quite unusual) I just explain a that Officine Panerai used to provide diver's watches to the Italian Navy in WWII, and folks have then always been more interested in the history of the company, than the watch I'm wearing :lol:

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont really understand why you guys would engage in a conversation about wether the watch is gen or rep with strangers. My family and close friends know i collect reps, but people i randomly meet at parties and so on dont.

I remember wearing my gen gold daytona (on strap, so not the gangster/cheesy millionaire version), and a guy asked me if it was fake.

if i was wearing a rep, i wouldnt have been offended, but since my watch was gen, i actually felt kind of insulted. I cant remember what i answered, but thats not the point.

Im just thinking that a gen owner wouldnt even bother answering that question, and i guess thats the best way to pull of wearing a rep. Just ignore stupid questions.

I dont really understand why you guys would engage in a conversation about wether the watch is gen or rep with strangers. My family and close friends know i collect reps, but people i randomly meet at parties and so on dont.

I remember wearing my gen gold daytona (on strap, so not the gangster/cheesy millionaire version), and a guy asked me if it was fake.

if i was wearing a rep, i wouldnt have been offended, but since my watch was gen, i actually felt kind of insulted. I cant remember what i answered, but thats not the point.

Im just thinking that a gen owner wouldnt even bother answering that question, and i guess thats the best way to pull of wearing a rep. Just ignore stupid questions.

I don't. I think asking if someone's watch is fake is just rude, so I ignore the question. I don't feel the need to disclose what I spend on my shoes if someone says "Nice shoes!", like I don't feel the need to disclose what I spend on my watch if someone says "Nice watch!". However. If someone does say "Nice shoes!", I'm likely to say "Thanks, I picked them up in Spain." (which I did) so if someone does say "Nice watch!" (which on occasion has happened ^_^ ) I thank them, and, if they're interested, tell them a bit about the history behind the watch company :)

Infact, here's a pic of my shoes ^_^

DSCN0308.jpg

I usually say... " it fell off a truck" !

I'm in the same mind set as TJ.. if complimented, I say, "Thank you" and leave it at that .. I've never been asked if it is a rep. but if that issue does come up .. I usually ignore obtuse peeps.. or give them a "look" that usually makes them apologize.. :D

If asked by someone I have come to know.. I tell them about my "hobby" .. about having friends that have helped me source genuine parts to have a watch built.. usually when I'm wearing a Ziggified Vintage Rolex will I proudly tell them of "hunt" for parts etc. that excites me..

but if it's someone who is coming across as an A-hole .. I jus ignore.. B)

Same here... My watches get recognized often, but I barley have not heard the question if it is a gen. I guess the trick is to wear watches that fit (or at least come close to) your style, your age, your job, ect. Then no one will ask you.

Precisely. Make it believable. Unless your income is over 100K a year, you generally cant pull off wearing a watch that costs more than 10,000 by itself.

You can always say you bought them "used abroad". That kills any chance of doubt. Some friends already know I'm "very" into watches (not compared to thousands of other members here) and that I participate in a watch forum. Not reps not gens, just watch forum... so a simple "I bought it used over the net" would do also. Sometimes a simple "it's a fake" and a wink works too... the "fell off a truck" one get lots of laughs but if someone goes on, any of the above works like a charm.

So every one of the above are true, and you won't lie to anyone.

good luck, compadre.

salud!

You can always say you bought them "used abroad". That kills any chance of doubt. Some friends already know I'm "very" into watches (not compared to thousands of other members here) and that I participate in a watch forum. Not reps not gens, just watch forum... so a simple "I bought it used over the net" would do also. Sometimes a simple "it's a fake" and a wink works too... the "fell off a truck" one get lots of laughs but if someone goes on, any of the above works like a charm.

good luck, compadre.

salud!

Where you from Chino?

good luck, compadre.

salud!

+ 100

my fave is 'Duty Free'

Once a guy asked me if the 1665 I was wearing was a real one and I replied:

"Yes, it's a real MBK 1665", he obviously got confused and asked me again:

"How did you manage to get one?"

"With a little help from some friends" I said...

Everything is somehow genuine and all are real unless virtual...

Once a guy asked me if the 1665 I was wearing was a real one and I replied:

"Yes, it's a real MBK 1665", he obviously got confused and asked me again:

"How did you manage to get one?"

"With a little help from some friends" I said...

Excellent!

It's an original NDT/MBK/MBW/TWbest...

:1a:

Mostly, I just say "Thanks". If it's more than just a passing compliment, and there is some genuine interest (because PAMs are quite unusual) I just explain a that Officine Panerai used to provide diver's watches to the Italian Navy in WWII, and folks have then always been more interested in the history of the company, than the watch I'm wearing :lol:

We work from the same playbook my friend...almost down to the word.

We work from the same playbook my friend...almost down to the word.

At the end of the day, I think that's all that needs to be said :) If the person's genuinely interested, then they'll be interested :) If it was someone just trying to be a jerk (which, to be honest, hasn't ever happened) they're only going to wind up making themselves look bad ;)

TeeJay hit the nail on the head when he said that asking if something is fake is rude. No one needs to validate themselves based on the income they make/age/etc. IMO, just how you project your confidence would or should be determining factor for anyone.

So what if you drive a old beat up crappy car but wear what looks like a $10K watch. Perhaps you don't like cars. Or you bought it ten years ago and just waiting for it to crap out so that you can buy a new one. I know I can't change the world, but I hate that people are judgmental.

But one correlation that I seem to notice (at least in my circle) is that the people who always have to disclose their wealth or how much they spent on something is amassing debt faster than they can accumulate wealth.

Going back to topic, I just say "Thanks," and go on my merry way when people notice my watch. Funny how I never get an engrossing conversation about watches unless if I'm wearing a Breitling and the person who initiates the conversation always happens to be wearing one too.

Edited by anton

Lately when people notice my watch and compliment it I say "Why did you want to buy it?". Belive it or not a good deal of my recent collection shrink campaign was accomplished by that method. All kidding aside, I can't remember the last time anyone noticed any of my watches outside an AD or something. I run in pretty narrow circles and they either don't care because the have everything I have times ten or they have already commented on anything in my collection that caught their eye a long time ago. Seriously, I only know and interact with like ten people. LOL.

Plus, even outside my small circle, expensive watches are a dime a dozen where I live so nobody cares anyway. I could wear a totally iced SA to the beach, an 18 year old kid could walk up to me and ask for the time, he could watch me raise my wrist in slow motion and all he would say is thanks and walk away. He probably had the same one custom made with pink diamonds and sapphires for his 16th birthday. SA's are like totally 06', dude...

I've only ever had one person comment 'Nice Watch'. I was on a flight to Peru for a hiking vacation. Because of the location and the need to be up at the crack of dawn each day I took a Timex, yes a Timex. Hey, it had an alarm, light-up face and told the time; what else do you need in the middle of nowhere. Needless to say I responded; 'Oh, thanks...'

Looking around at work (about 300 people) I observed the following:

1) 50% of men don't even wear a watch.

2) With the exception of a handful of others the remainder wear cheap LCD watches.

3) Our CEO (who I've known for over 20 years back when he was a lowly sales rep) has a Tag Heuer Rep. When I spoke with him the other day I saw his eyes pick up on the Rolex GMT11c that I was wearing; he said nothing. Hey, maybe he will read this post!

The bottom line is that, at least in my world, very few people seem interested in watches. I'm also a collector of antique clocks and nobody seems interested in them either!

In answer to the original post; if someone showed interest I would explain that I am a collector of high quality replicas. I have no reason to lie, deceive or embellish.

Few people have ever had the nerve to ask me about my watches.

Personally, I'm a little frightened now Greg! Are you a fire-breather or what? :p

Since I live in a tiny village, most people don't even know there are watches outside of those available directly to the left of the cashier at WALL*MART. So when somebody does notice, I always send them a big smile and a "thanks, that's very kind of you sir/ma'am/miss!" (About the last one: I wish..)

I was actually reading a gen rolex forums discussion of the same topic. Most of them replied that when someone asks them if it is fake they get really offended. A few of them used digitalnrg's response and sarcastically said it was fake.

But in either case, if you are wearing a gen and someone asks you if it is fake you would normally be pretty offended.

• 1 month later...

One hobby of mine is studio / glamour / portrait / fashion photography and 99% of the compliments I get on my watches come from the models. It's a visual art and people are into details so people pick up on things. The one watch that gets the most compliments five to one over my Lange's or Portuguese is the Bell & Ross.

I tell people thanks, and usually they are gracious but I don't go into details, and will tell them it's my wife's money if pressed.

The funny thing was, how appearances count, we had multiple shoots going on over a long weekend and I was working with a realworking pro photographer who had come in from out of town, and previously had seen my work and had e-mailed me so we were working together. He had pre-arranged a few cattle calls with a number of former playmates and a few up and coming models.

My wife and niece are into fashion design and my niece is a budding fashion designer, with some of her own pieces being produced so here I am being dressed to look the part of a fashionista - black cashmiere "street" hoodie with a new / faux paratrooper jacket over it (it was cold), with built in wrinkles... I've got a rep Lange on and my main camera bag.

The pro photographer works with the top of the top and knows the pieces and prices - he'd been eying my watch but had not said anything in a day and a half about it, even when drinking after hours.

Up comes sashaying one of the newbie models, she takes a look at me and sees "street rat" or "dirty perv photog" and starts giving me the teenage hot chick put down attitude.

We've got four other great girls on set and we're deciding on two more for the days shoot, the photog turns to the model who had gone snotty about money and model release and said, "girl my partner over there is wearing a watch that's worth more than you make in a year, pack it in and leave the set."

We didn't have a single problem that entire shoot with attitude :-) and the girls did look at my watch...