When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

what do you say when people notice your watch?

fulanito_uk

What do you say?  

98 members have voted

1. 1. What do you say to workmates/friends that say "wow is that a Rolex?"

• yes it is real, you like it?
    • No its a Rep but a good one huh ;)
    • No its a Rep but I got the real one at home
    • I don't know, was a gift
    • you get good buys at Police auctions ;)

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had my first 'encounter' about my Skyland last night.

We were hanging around outside a bar and talking to another group of guys. One of these guys was wearing a pretty Navitimer and I told him 'nice watch you got there'. His reply was "Thanks; so why are you wearing the fake?" to what I only replied "Oh, are you too?" and all he could reply was "just kidding man, nice watch" :bangin:

The only comment I remember is from a wait person in a restaurant recently .. she was enthralled by my HBB Black Magic.. but then again she had on black lipstick.. black fingernail polish and all black everything.. :rofl:

so it didn't count ... :good:

but usually I say "thank you" and go about my biz.. funny I never get comments over my gens.. :black_eye:

yeah, I just leave it at "thanks, it's a real passion of mine -love watches". If they want to know more, and enquire about legitimacy of the watch, I say I have some gens and some fakes; make your own mind up. If they are intrigued/impressed with the quality, then perhaps they are a candidate for conversion into this world... I think it's nice to be able to share this enjoyment with friends and fam. Talked my sis and brother in law into one last night, since they have been so impressed with my latest purchase from Joshua.

I think people asking if the watch is a fake fall into 2 categories;

1. they are having a go at you personally

2. they are genuinely interested in watches and the possibility of replicating gens.

If they are "2's", then I give them some time to try and help grow their appreciation. If they are "1's", then...

I think if you love your watch and you're not trying to pretend to be something/one you're not, then you've got nothing to be ashamed of -wear it with pride!!!

mg

I usally dont wear one of my nice reps If im going to be In close proximity to others that might comment on the watch,let me explain. If Im going to be around people that I know dont wear a expensive watch then I try to avoid a situation were my watch might become a focal point. Im just not In the mood to discuss my watch to a bunch of people who know nothing about watches other than Rolex's are expensive. My friend Jery looked at my watch about a six months ago and said "nice Panerai Mike, business must be good". I said "thanks I really do like It and business was ok" I saw him about a week later and told him that It was a replica. He said that he was more Impressed knowing that I did not spend thousands of dollars for the watch. Jerry has been collecting watches for over tweenty years. Two weeks later he orderd a Panerai 111 from Josh. I just like to pick and choose(if possable) how I approach conversations about the reps that I have. :) Mike

personally as a 21 year old only earning £20k, i have tag heuer and Omega watches, i can pull off affording them even though people are still impressed by them, and i can pass them off as genuine, but i COULD NOT wear a £10k Rolex rep and convince people it was genuine because it would be blatantly obvious i dont earn enough, i will get a rolex rep in a few years though.

i have no shame in passing of my reps as gens to people i dont know, of course my family and friends know but to anyone else (unless they are a watch expert) they are genuine article and 99.9% of people are convinced by the weight, and the automatic movement

i know people who think the only way to tell a fake rolex from a real rolex is the automatic sweeping movement rather than the tick tock!!!!

I know a few people like that :D One such chump was bragging a while back about how he'd been doing some work in a guy's house who had a collection of watches, and he was sure they were real, because, get this... They were in the right boxes! :thumbsupsmileyanim::whistling::bangin: That said, he's always been a bit of a muppet, and his normal response to someone getting anything new is always "How much?!" Yeah, real classy... But he's a mate...

I know what you mean there about Rolexes, I didn't really feel comfortable wearing a Rolex till I hit 30 and was married. Before then, I wouldn't go so far as to say I was 'uncomfortable', but slightly self-conscious would be a fair comment :)

'Thank you'.

Followed by a short discourse on it's beauty and versatility.

If the compliments continue, then I am happy to explain a bit about the watch, it's history and my love of automatic watches in general.

If the person extending the compliment is knowledgeable concerning the specific piece, then I am happy to share my extensive knowledge concerning it's origin, the designer, the manufacturing process, it's price, and why everyone who loves such timepieces should own one.