When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My new boss is a watch freak

Nightstroker

I recently accepted a leasing agent position at an apartment complex here in Vegas. The owner of the property (5 properties total) is nuts about watches; im a little jealous because he owns my two favorites.

The other day he wore a Rolex dress watch....not sure what kind it was....Celini or something like that. Im not a Celini fan so I didnt think anything of it....

Then he shows up a couple days later wearing a TT Rolex GMT. That definately got my attention. I commented on the watch; he took it off and handed it to me. Our reps are so different in the way they look and feel.

The next day hes sporting another favorite of mine....A Breitling Chronomat. I commented on that watch also and he said, "What are you, some kind a watch collector or something?" I told him that I love watches. He said he has a Chonomat Evolution also....geeze.

To my utter surprise....he shows up the following day wearing my number 2 favorite watch.....A Corum Golden Bridge. I was in a little bit of shock. We talked about the watch for a couple seconds and he said that Corum now offers a new version of the Golden Bridge.....I havent seen he photos yet.

I wonder what he will be wearing today....

He is also very generous....he bought my boss a Rado with diamonds and has bought expensive watches for employees in the past. If I stick around here long enough maybe he will add something nice to my collection....wishfull thinking....

Fun...tread carefully around him with your reps. If the guy really knows watches...and not just how to buy gens, he may or may not be warm to the concept of reps.

Yeah, he probably doesn't appreciate replica watches. Im affraid if he finds out hes going to think im a phony or something. He is a Russian/Jew, im not sure how he will react. I have been leaving my reps at home since I started this job. I got a little tired of wearing Seiko and Citizen for the last month, so I decided to wear my noob mariner today. If he shows up, i'll slip it under my sleeve....

Yea I'd be REALLY careful there, sounds to me like he knows what he likes, and he's worked hard to get the original top class stuff.

You rocking up with your Replica kinda underminds his hard work, it would almost be like your trying to protray something your not if you catch my drift.

I'd leave the reps at home if he's about!

Ditto the previous comments about treading lightly.

Few gen owners know anything about watches beyond what they can see strapped around their wrist. What they do tend to know (intimately) is how much of their hard-earned income they had to pay to purchase their gen watch & most, understandably, tend to view the average 'fake' luxury brand buyer as a deadbeat, liar or scammer (or all 3). This would be especially true if your new boss is a watch collector, who researches the history of each watch before purchasing it (as opposed to watch buyer/owner, who researches his bank account before emptying it). I do not know about Nevada, but many states have 'at-will' employment laws, which means an employer can fire an employee (assuming the employee is white & male) for any reason.

And, speaking empirically, the last thing an employer wants to think about a new employee is that that employee does not need the job. So you could be even worse off by wearing an expensive-looking watch that your employer believes IS real. And with the economy in turmoil, I would think it best to stick with the boring Seiko, at least until you have proven yourself.

Freddy said it perfectly - I could imagine certain gen owners would be VERY [censored] if they knew the quality of our reps...

And thats yet another good point.

Imagine how F***ed off you would be if you spent $8,000 on a Rolex, and Joe Bloggs turnes up with his $500 Rep, that looks and performs better than his damd original!

I can tell you I'd be upset to say the least, specially if that then makes people doubt the authenticity of my original one that I spent the last 2 yrs saving for!.

I'd not be a happy bunny.

If you want to wear a sub in front of this guy, here is what I recommend.

post-180-1226104645_thumb.jpg

If he really knows watches, he will recognize it and think that you are a fellow watch nut, but not a rich punk who might be a threat ;-)

Carl

Yeah, he probably doesn't appreciate replica watches. Im affraid if he finds out hes going to think im a phony or something. He is a Russian/Jew, im not sure how he will react. I have been leaving my reps at home since I started this job. I got a little tired of wearing Seiko and Citizen for the last month, so I decided to wear my noob mariner today. If he shows up, i'll slip it under my sleeve....

You should look into one of these Unbranded Submariners. They are Swiss ETA and there isn't a single logo anywhere on the watch. I have several of them myself. You can find them on ebay for under $300 and they are the highest quality.

post-11445-1226134116_thumb.jpg post-11445-1226134156_thumb.jpg

That sounds like an amazing watch collection. The Corum one looks nuts! I would say that maybe you could buy one of those watches used from him, but since they are precious metals and hugely expensive, even used that would be a lot of $$$

I agree with the rest of the posters, until you get to know him better leave the reps at home. If you do wear some reps I would suggest "Lower end" brands like Tag Heuer sport watches.

And the collection continues....

I arrived at work today and found a watch magazine in my bin. For some reason I cant remember the name of the magazine, but the issue is completely devoted to Omega. Page after page after page of photos kept me from reading the articles. Several topics were discussed; the history of the company and movements, rare models, key individual influencers (including Cindy Crawford believe it or not (Constellation)), and many other subjects will provide a fun read tomorrow.

For some reason I thought that one of my co-workers brought me the magazine. When I asked her where she got the magazine, she said, "Oh, its not from me....its from Alex."

Wow, how cool. The big guy thought to bring me some good watch stuff to read during the slow hours of the day.

He showed up in the afernoon and I had a chance to thank him for the mag and to ask him "Do you like Omega?"

He says, "No. I do own a few pieces, but it is not my favorite brand, however they do make one of the best movements."

Maybe he knows a little more about watches than your average high roller who slaps down some plastic at a jewelry store and calls himself a watch collector....lol.

Oh....by the way....it was a gold Datejust on a jubilee today.

The Omega magazine is a special issue from WatchTime magazine (the current regular issue should have arrived on the reverse side of the same package).

Yep! Thats right, and now I remember that he mentioned something to that extent and that he would bring it to work for me to read also.

I couldnt tell what he was wearing today. The watch was slim, on SS with a power reserve and a couple other subdial thingies. I saw the dial only from afar. I was a little dissapointed that I could not make out the name....usually I can. Something tells me it was A Lange Sohne, but I could not find the exact watch on google images.

If he asks, why dont you just come clean? Say you have a few low end watches, and because you cant afford the the gens, you have some reps.

I bet, if you approach it from the honest side, hell be cool.

There is no reason to "compete" on his terms. especially since he has so many watches.

Also most people cant spot reps anyway. even though he is a gen collector, mostly only the real brand nerds can spot flaws in the models they are experts in.

I have a boss who is a russian. Russians just like nice flashy things. They like to convey an an appearance of wealth. this doesn't mean that they are purists. I wouldn't doubt that he has a fake in his collection or has owned a fake in the past. Hell maybe they are all fakes. My boss has real watchs and fake ones. He doesn't care. He knows no one can tell the difference.