When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The Shortest Thread Ever

Admin

A short explanation of short, for those short of patience:

Highlights include:

"She was very short with him"

"said of an alcoholic drink"

"be caught or taken short colloq to have an urgent need to urinate or defecate"

"Food is in short supply in Bosnia"

"Jenny is short for Jennifer"

"We tried every kind of persuasion short of threats"

"stop short to come to an abrupt halt"

So, for those for whom English is not a native language:

Jenny, short for Jennifer, and who is short, asked the barman for a short, before realizing she had been caught short. But the barman, also short, was too busy explaining how food was in short supply in Bosnia. Worrying about being caught short, Jenny hopped up and down and tried every kind of persuasion short of threats to get the barman to hurry up - and for a terrible moment she thought she could hold on no longer. Thankfully, she managed to stop short.

short adj 1 having little physical length; not long. 2 having little height. 3 having little extent or duration; brief; concise • short day. 4 in the early future • short date. 5 indicating a seemingly short length of time • For a few short weeks we could enjoy our time together. 6 said of a temper: quickly and easily lost. 7 rudely abrupt; curt • She was very short with him. 8 said of the memory: tending not to retain things for long. 9 said of a substance, especially food: brittle. 10 said of pastry: crisp and crumbling easily. 11 failing to reach the standard; not going far enough. 12 in short supply; in demand • We are two tickets short. 13 in default. 14 referring to the sale of what one cannot supply. 15 phonetics said of a vowel sound: being the briefer of two possible lengths of vowel. 16 poetry said of a syllable: unaccented. 17 colloq said of an alcoholic drink, especially a spirit: not diluted with water; neat. 18 lacking in money • I'm a bit short at the moment. 19 cricket said of fielding positions: relatively close to the batsman. 20 said of betting odds: providing the winner with only a small profit; near even. adverb 1 abruptly; briefly • stopped short. 2 on this or the near side • The dart fell short of the board. noun 1 something that is short. 2 shortness; abbreviation or summary. 3 colloq a drink of an alcoholic spirit. 4 a short cinema film shown before the main feature film. 5 a short circuit. verb (shorted, shorting) tr & intr to short-circuit. shortness noun. be caught or taken short colloq to have an urgent need to urinate or defecate. cut someone or something short see under cut. fall short to be insufficient; to be less than a required, expected or stated amount. for short as an abbreviated form • She gets called Jenny for short. go or run short of something not to have enough of it; to have an insufficient supply of it • We're running short of milk. in short concisely stated; in a few words. in short order very quickly. in short supply not available in the required or desired quantity; scarce • Food is in short supply in Bosnia. in the short run within a short space of time; over a brief period. make short work of someone or something to settle or dispose of quickly and thoroughly • I made short work of the essay. short and sweet colloq agreeably brief. short for something an abbreviated form of it • Jenny is short for Jennifer. short of or on something deficient; lacking in it • We're always short of money • She's a bit short on tact. short of something without going as far as it; except it • We tried every kind of persuasion short of threats. stop short to come to an abrupt halt or standstill.

ETYMOLOGY: Anglo-Saxon sceort.

I think I have something really important to say on this issue...but for the life of me I can't remember what it was. BUT...when I do remember whatever it was I will be back to post it....if I remember that is.

Cheers ;)

148926-15163.jpg

Nor have I...

well, i want you to know that i have been following this thread and not particpating for the good of the common goal, and will continue to do abstain. I am a team player.