When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Most Expensive Watch You Would Feel Comfortable Actually Wearing.

One of the reasons I buy good replicas is that I can wear them, impress the impressable, and not worry about wear and tear, damage, loss and theft. I have several genuines, the most expensive of which is worth about $2500 and I enjoy wearing them as well, but I have to say, I have fantasies about much more expensive timepieces that I wouldn't be anything other than paranoid about wearing. I drool over Vacherons, Pateks, Chronoswiss, IWC etc but I think these watches in my hands would be the classic car equivalent of "trailer queens", never seeing the road and rubbed with a diaper daily. I saw a double rotor, display caseback Perrelet in a magazine the other day that, if I could afford it, would immediately go into a hermedically sealed, argon filled case to be opened at the time of my death and willed to my son. It looks like a Rolex submariner at about $3500 is about the limit of my wearing comfort level. Anyting more expensive than that, I'd have to wrap a pillow around my wrist to wear it outside without sedation. Anyone else have this fantasy vs reality dilema? What watch of considerable value would you feel OK wearing on a regular basis?

Watches are meant to be worn.

It's funny, I know people who own expensive cameras that baby them. I know pros who hate the way a new camera looks, and aren't happy till they've earned some "character". They're precision instruments that are designed to be used, the more expensive ones can handle the abuse of professionals.

One reason I've started wearing reps and a few gens is to train myself not to over-abuse them (keep them off walls and corners, etc. so I'm aware of where my wrist is...).

It's funny, if you read "The Millionaire Next Door" and that author's other book, most millionaires (even decamillionaires) don't wear watches costing more than $300. The big bling-wearers are pro sports players and people trying to impress others. It certainly works.

I have a millionaire publisher friend who wears $30-40k watches, but he's an exception.

One of the reasons I buy good replicas is that I can wear them, impress the impressable, and not worry about wear and tear, damage, loss and theft. It looks like a Rolex submariner at about $3500 is about the limit of my wearing comfort level. Anyting more expensive than that, I'd have to wrap a pillow around my wrist to wear it outside without sedation.

To a good degree, I enjoy my reps because I can beat them up without worry. Any watch over 1,000 and I start to worry and can't enjoy it. This is why I put a limit of 1,000 on any watch I buy. It just seems silly to spend money and not enjoy and wear a watch.

Before being injured I was earning just over 120 Grand a year, most people thought I was earning more, I have a Vacheron that is worth 35 Grand in the gen and nobody has ever looked at that funny.

Ken

If you buy an expensive watch, you must wear it. If you don't, you will get sick of it - simple as that. People's favourite pair of jeans don't become their favourite by staying in the wardrobe. What's the point of buying a beautiful watch, if your rep is your "favourite" watch?

In answer to the question of this thread, up to $20,000 for a gen. Over that and I'd have to think about it. Regarding a rep. it really doesn't matter because we aren't wearing them to impress people are we?

We just like to wear reps because we are all WISheads and will gladly let people know its a rep. so sky's the limit. Yeah Right! :whistling:

I guess it depends upon the area...

Here in Los Angeles, being a broker,.. I end up in some pretty dangerous areas..

where I set my limit at $2,500, if it's a well known brand...Omega, etc...

Not to mention for my clients I want to look successful but not greedy...

though I earn over 100k per year...

If the brand is not known by the general public,.. then I go to 10 Grand...

Anything over 10k, makes me feel a bit over-done.... so I don't own any above that

range... -_-

I wore the TT datejust I received from my father regularly for about 3 years . . . it's about $6000 new these days. I never felt much risk since everybody probably just thought it was a Seiko or fake. Before I got into reps I wore my Explorer II as my daily watch, again not a big attention getter. Which is not to say I felt comfortable wearing either into dark alleys, but certainly not an issue for work, nights out etc.

I think people tend to make too big a deal with gens . . . a Rolex is like a nice car or anything else you treat yourself to . . . at first you're like "wow" but eventually it's just part of your stuff and you can either use it or not but you don't think much of it. Unless you way overreached with your finances when buying it in which case you probably shouldn't have bought it.

my upper limit is a patek sky-moon tourbillon. anything more than that would be absurd

Wow, high roller. I draw the line with my jacob & co. bling. But I do permit myself one on each wrist and one on the neck. With 5 timezones on each that is 15 timezones. Nothing says "I'm Ritch, [censored]!" like that.

i'm not wearing a watch(rep or gen) to impress people. i feel comfortable with any watch because i know that almost 99 per cent of people don't care about watches.

for example in south of france or italy i see a lot of people wearing rolex subs.. in monaco wearing a rolex is like wearing a timex.

don't forget we are watch nuts and we are prone to check what people have on their wrists.

One of the reasons I buy good replicas is that I can wear them, impress the impressable, and not worry about wear and tear, damage, loss and theft. I have several genuines, the most expensive of which is worth about $2500 and I enjoy wearing them as well, but I have to say, I have fantasies about much more expensive timepieces that I wouldn't be anything other than paranoid about wearing. I drool over Vacherons, Pateks, Chronoswiss, IWC etc but I think these watches in my hands would be the classic car equivalent of "trailer queens", never seeing the road and rubbed with a diaper daily. I saw a double rotor, display caseback Perrelet in a magazine the other day that, if I could afford it, would immediately go into a hermedically sealed, argon filled case to be opened at the time of my death and willed to my son. It looks like a Rolex submariner at about $3500 is about the limit of my wearing comfort level. Anyting more expensive than that, I'd have to wrap a pillow around my wrist to wear it outside without sedation. Anyone else have this fantasy vs reality dilema? What watch of considerable value would you feel OK wearing on a regular basis?

i own a couple of reps and a gen Patek Philippe...I don't know how much is it worth...I don't wear it...I prefer wearing my reps...but how would somebody feel while wearing an expensive watch? DAMN GOOD!!! :lol:

glad you guys got a chuckle out of the sky moon, but on a serious note one of my most frequently worn watches is the 192, which is in the neighborhood of 15K in gen.

and then i'll go and wear one of my DW's to the movies, so it my actual limit is lets say nothing more than 50K. in fact, i don't own a sky-moon rep yet, but if and when i do get one, that WILL end up being my upper limit.