When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex and job interview

digitalnrg

Guys,

My company is laying off people left and right so I start search for new job before I get canned myself. I already set up for couple interviews next 2 weeks. Just out of curiousity, is it too much to sport my GTM master II at the interview? The watch is too damn sexy and I cant help it. Oh, I'm interviewing for commercial relationship manager/commercial porfolio manager for a bank. I appreciate any input.

cheer!

I would be more carefull to wear it.

Could be that the person who interviews you sees it as a bling bling look at me wearing a Rolex kind of thing.

Once you have the job you can try-out his reaction.

Carpe Diem

Cats

Yeah that's the main reason I'm hesitated. I think I'm gonna stick with the tag heuer carrera or the omega speedmaster.

I usually wear the rolly when meeting with clients and it HELPS closing the deal :D

why wouldn't you wear it? as long as you're only flashing the watch under the sleeve and not rubbing it on the interviewer's face, I see no problem there.

I'd wear my lucky watch for a job interview, but I don't have any. :)

Good luck with the interview!

As I mentioned before, the best way to wear it, is to 'not wear it'. There is no watch. That way, any appearances from beneath cuff are entirely natural and unaffected, rather than any gestures like fiddling, shooting the cuffs, or deliberately exposing it. Zen and watches. It doesn't get much better B)

And of course, best of luck with the interview :good:

As I mentioned before, the best way to wear it, is to 'not wear it'. There is no watch. That way, any appearances from beneath cuff are entirely natural and unaffected, rather than any gestures like fiddling, shooting the cuffs, or deliberately exposing it. Zen and watches. It doesn't get much better B)

And of course, best of luck with the interview :good:

wow, this really makes me rethink about wearing any watch. Thanks

Don't think...just do. I always wear a nice watch for interviews...it has only failed once in 15 interviews...something must be working. ;)

As well...the job is for a bank with a commercial portfolio...don't even think twice about it.

How old are you? 18?

No, I don't think so.

So, why the hell wouldn't you wear it?

All his life my father wanted to buy and drive a Jaguar.

He could afford one by the way.

He never did it because he said that his customers would see him as a TOO successfull man. :(

My question is: who are you trusting yourself?

A successfull man or a cheap one?

As Tee Jay said, wear it without showing off.

Unless you are too young to have saved 4.000$ of course. Then don't wear it.

Do not wear a two tone either.

But come on, a manager in a bank should be able to afford a Rolex after some years of carreer, isn't it.

A Tag or Omega isn't that cheaper anyway :unsure:

Oh, because it's a rep isn't the point either. As you won't show it off :D

Great tip for interviews: imagine the interviewer using the toilet or see him misstreated by an SM professionel :lol:

Good luck.

Cheers

Stephane

No problem at all :) I look at it this way: Someone making 'gestures' to 'accidentally on purpose' display a watch, will only ever be thought of as a showoff and poseur. If someone can afford a gen watch, then the cost involved, would be less significant to them, than it would be to someone who, could not necessarily afford a gen, but treats a rep with the same value and respect, so you'll find people wearing very nice and expensive watches, but treating them like a Casio, and totally unaware of it, rather than someone posturing to get the watch displayed 'just so'. I think the only way to prevent that, is to be so comfortable with the watch, that one forgets one is even wearing it. That way, any gesture which might expose the watch, will be received as being a natural gesture, rather than an affected one.

If you rotate between several watches, then just wear that particular watch for a week or so prior to the interview, and keep it on at all times. Eventually, you'll just forget you're wearing it, and there won't be any 'showy gestures' :) If someone compliments you on the watch, just say "Thanks..." It doesn't need any more of an explanation than that :) You have to wear the watch, rather than letting it wear you. Just remember, there is no watch... ;)

For years, my perception of rolex as bling bling so I tend not to wear it around my colleagues or job interview. As for tag or omega, yes they are reps too but I believe they're more sporty and not as screaming out like rollie. As for the field I'm in, yes it's perfectly fine to wear an expensive watch as I often meeting with high end clients or attorneys when closing a commercial real estate deal. I do have a few gen tags but they are older models. With all the super reps we have nowaday, my gen basically have been collecting dust.

Thanks all so far

Hey guys... it's not black or white... it depends... if you are asking for a 1000USD/month job and you wear a GMT, it shouts fake, and it would make the interviewer think twice... if you are asking for a managerial level task (director or supervisor) then I see no problem. But realize that if your future boss is the one that makes the interview and he thinks you are in an upper financial level than him, you could get in trouble. By experience.

Imho, if you do not know the interviewer, do not wear a $5k watch (especially a replica of a $5k watch!) while looking for a job.

You might be surprised how sharp some interviewers are and they look you over very closely. Many may feel the same as you about watches but the vast majority do not and to some, a high priced watch on a guy looking for a job is a poke in the eye. You need to look like a guy who needs a job, not a guy sporting a $5k watch.

When you have worked at the new job a few weeks (after the first pay day!) you can probably wear what you want.

Since you are basically trying to sell yourself to the interviewer, do not take a chance on them zeroing in on an expensive watch.

Thin, understated steel, tutone or gold plated watches are good for job interviews.

Btw, I have never seen a sexy watch...but I have seen cool watches on sexy women. :p

Good luck!

I actually wear the same watch you are having doubts about wearing, gen TT GMT Master II. This is my everyday watch, I am in a similar industry as you, I see absolutely no problem wearing that to an interview for a higher paying/skilled job.

As someone said earlier you are selling yourself and your skills in an interview. Part of the initial impression an interviewer has is your appearance and if the job you want is to interact with HNW individuals then your demeanor and appearance defiantly come into play.

That said, make sure your suit shirt and tie match what

Make of this what you will, but if you look like you need the job, you are far more likely to get the job (assuming you have what the potential employer is looking for). Of course, there are exceptions like high end sales (real estate, planes, yachts, etc). But, for the most part, when the person sitting in front of me is wearing expensive jewelry, I assume they do not need the job.

Make of this what you will, but if you look like you need the job, you are far more likely to get the job (assuming you have what the potential employer is looking for). Of course, there are exceptions like high end sales (real estate, planes, yachts, etc). But, for the most part, when the person sitting in front of me is wearing expensive jewelry, I assume they do not need the job.

I've never thought twice about whether or not a potential candidate NEEDS a job when considering them...in fact I couldn't care less if they were about to lose house and home when it comes to determining qualifications and I know you were saying that they have to meet qualifications first. But, if given multiple candidates with the same qualifications, I would certainly look next to "fit" with the organization more than I would their "need" for the work.

I care about whether or not they have the qualifications and experience, that they can work appropriately with the client group I'm going to throw them at, and if it seems that they will take the job they are interviewing for seriously. If they show up to an interview in a t-shirt and jeans...that's a big strike against. If they dress professionally, all the better...but even that still means squat if they can't do the job.

I've never thought twice about looking at the wrist bling on candidates, because people receive these things for a variety of reasons...finishing a degree, getting married, passing the bar, inheritance, lottery, whatever...and to me in no way even indicates a need for a job.

I've never thought twice about looking at the wrist bling on candidates, because people receive these things for a variety of reasons...finishing a degree, getting married, passing the bar, inheritance, lottery, whatever...and to me in no way even indicates a need for a job.

If you wear it because you like it, you'll do fine, even if the guy does spot it, you can reel off what you know about Rolex, and how you collect watches (they still are a good investment).

If you wear it to show it, glance at it a few times, fiddle with the bezel, pull your sleeve up, then you'll be taken as a wannabe.

There are 101 reasons for having one, and if you have it for yourself, you have no problems!

For years, my perception of rolex as bling bling so I tend not to wear it around my colleagues or job interview. As for tag or omega, yes they are reps too but I believe they're more sporty and not as screaming out like rollie. As for the field I'm in, yes it's perfectly fine to wear an expensive watch as I often meeting with high end clients or attorneys when closing a commercial real estate deal. I do have a few gen tags but they are older models. With all the super reps we have nowaday, my gen basically have been collecting dust.

Thanks all so far

The thing you have to bear in mind, is that it's not the cash cost of the watch which will raise eyebrows, but the fact that it has 'Rolex' on the dial ;) In the minds of the general populace, while Rolex is the luxury watch people know, it's also the watch which they know is copied, so to most folks, Rolex = Fake

I've worn my 127 (and other PAMs) in company where people could afford to be buying the genuine article, but no one even raised an eyebrow. It could have been that they clocked them as reps, and were being polite, it could have been that they thought I'd sold a kidney and bought one, or, it could have been that they simply did not know the brand, so did not know the cash cost, therefore the question of it being 'real or fake' never even crossed their minds. For someone to call someone else out for wearing a rep shows a real lack of class and manners, but that's not to say that someone might not have such suspicions privately... The easiest way to avoid such suspicions, is to 'stay below the radar', by either wearing a watch which is in your financial reach, or, wearing a rep of a brand which is unknown out of watch enthusiast circles. Before I got into reps, I'd never even heard of Panerai or Vacheron Constantin (although I had heard of Pateks, as Eric Lustbader often writes them into his novels)

If you wear it because you like it, you'll do fine, even if the guy does spot it, you can reel off what you know about Rolex, and how you collect watches (they still are a good investment).

If you wear it to show it, glance at it a few times, fiddle with the bezel, pull your sleeve up, then you'll be taken as a wannabe.

There are 101 reasons for having one, and if you have it for yourself, you have no problems!

Absolutely. Those are things you simply cannot do if you want to be taken seriously. As above, there is no watch. By the time you go for the interview, it has to be a part of your arm, something you don't even consider as being there. That's the only way to pull off wearing a nice watch without looking like a wannabe ;):good:

How old are you? 18?

No, I don't think so.

So, why the hell wouldn't you wear it?

All his life my father wanted to buy and drive a Jaguar.

He could afford one by the way.

He never did it because he said that his customers would see him as a TOO successfull man. :(

Reminds me of the time when I was looking for houses in Rotterdam with an agent. She drove a brand new 3series BMW and the FIRST thing I thought was "Wow, she is really overpaid for having no profession whatsoever!" (Excuses to all real-estate agents aboard, but I just don't think an agent is worth what he gets paid. You don't even need a high school diploma to become an agent, yet you can earn like a senior manager. Ridiculous)

"Wow, she is really overpaid for having no profession whatsoever!" (Excuses to all real-estate agents aboard, but I just don't think an agent is worth what he gets paid. You don't even need a high school diploma to become an agent, yet you can earn like a senior manager. Ridiculous)

I'm betting you've never sold Real Estate, have you? If you had, you'd think every agent out there was underpaid.